LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 140 users in the forums

2016 Defense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
I'm afraid we won't be able to tell much from the preseason. In a preseason game, the only time we'll get to see a CB in action is if you are at the game, or if the pass is thrown the CB's way. If a CB isn't targeted on the play, we won't be able to know how well (or how badly) he was covering the WR. TV is only going to occasionally show a replay of the defensive backfield.

Has been a dream of mine for many years...interactive NFL coverage. We could access several cameras from our TV's and make our own editing! Might take me two or three days to watch each game...
I am actually excited about our 2017 defense. The talent is there and no Chip Kelly. Chip Kelly alone has destroyed defenses...his defenses. PHI shot up the moment he was gone.

Let's hope our defense gets back on track to where they should have been.
Now that JoN is no longer the DC, there's talent there to be a middle of the pact D. We can have a top-10 D with addition of a solid run stopping ILB and a rangy FS. And a top-3 D with another Aaron Lynch like pass rushing OLB.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I am actually excited about our 2017 defense. The talent is there and no Chip Kelly. Chip Kelly alone has destroyed defenses...his defenses. PHI shot up the moment he was gone.

I really hope we stay with the 3-4. We're set up nicely for it. All we BADLY need is a Brandon Williams, Ian Williams or Dontarie Poe for NT and the DL is legit + health. From there, adding ILB's is the easiest of all (except in O'Neil/Mangini's 3-4). You can plug anyone in at ILB and they produce.

My 3-4 plan:
  • Go HARD for Brandon Williams; pay up. DL is now set.
  • Resign Chris Jones & Glenn Dorsey (depth is legit now)
  • Ronald Blair is now listed as 269 pounds; that's around the ideal weight of a SAM in our 3-4 (Brooks/Lynch). Start training him as such
  • Resign Hodges; had a nice year and started to come on (at worst, adds great depth and ST)
  • Keeps Brooks for depth/spot play/reduce salary a tad (per AB, only making $4.45M this year)
  • Restructure Brock down (nickel only) and release Bethea
  • Go hard for A.J. Bouye in free agency; him paired with Robinson on the outside would be outstanding
  • Move Ward to FS to pair with Tartt
  • Set up Lynch's training schedule now
  • Draft Myles Garrett #2 if possible; certainly a pass rusher and ILB with massive upside
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 10, 2017 at 9:17 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Joecool:

I really hope we stay with the 3-4. We're set up nicely for it. All we BADLY need is a Brandon Williams, Ian Williams or Dontarie Poe for NT and the DL is legit + health. From there, adding ILB's is the easiest of all (except in O'Neil/Mangini's 3-4). You can plug anyone in at ILB and they produce.

My 3-4 plan:
  • Go HARD for Brandon Williams; pay up. DL is now set.
  • Resign Chris Jones & Glenn Dorsey (depth is legit now)
  • Ronald Blair is now listed as 269 pounds; that's around the ideal weight of a SAM in our 3-4 (Brooks/Lynch). Start training him as such
  • Resign Hodges; had a nice year and started to come on (at worst, adds great depth and ST)
  • Keeps Brooks for depth/spot play/reduce salary a tad (per AB, only making $4.45M this year)
  • Restructure Brock down (nickel only) and release Bethea
  • Go hard for A.J. Bouye in free agency; him paired with Robinson on the outside would be outstanding
  • Move Ward to FS to pair with Tartt
  • Draft Myles Garrett #2 if possible; certainly a pass rusher and ILB with massive upside

I bet he's at the buffet as we type. Sadly I think we are going to switch to a 4-3.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Nobody is going to baby this guy and motivate his fat ass.
Share 49ersWebzone