LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 240 users in the forums

Game #11 - The Good, Bad, Ugly

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Defense was encouraging, but Manginis calls continue to horrify me. Officiating was simply Unacceptable...
The good - Defense was strong all day. Sure they missed a few plays but young guys are going to do that.
Gabbert- I continue to like what I see for his price tag. Is he elite? not really, he checks down a little too fast sometimes and he has a few here and there that get away from him, but I like his ability to handle pressure, I love that he gets the ball out really, really fast. He has a lot of tools, they were comparing him to Alex Smith during the game and I think some of that is apt, but the one difference I see is when we do dial up a deep ball he isn't afraid to take his shot. We don't connect on enough of them yet, but hopefully that comes in time.

The Bad - The O-line - I know we aren't fixing it this year but the amount of pressure we give up and the tiny or non existent run holes badly need to be addressed in the off season.

The receivers - Still seeing a few drops a game which is sad...some teams only have a few a year. And just once I would like to see our guys win a battle for a contested ball. I am looking at you Torrey. You see so many QB's throw a 50/50 ball a couple of times a game and there guy goes up and fights for it. Why do our guys always play so soft?

The Ugly.... The Refs
This may be the single most one sided game I have ever seen called in the NFL. I have a house full of fans of other teams and they were wondering aloud if the game was fixed. I have long felt that Harb damaged our rep with the zebras with his sideline displays but now I wonder if they simply do not like our franchise. If there was any doubt about a call whatsoever it went against us. Anymore I feel like the Refs are simply there to ensure the NFL gets the results they want.
The good:
-We are closer to the 1st overall pick.
-Defense could stop one of the best offenses in all NFL.
-Goal line defense was awesome but penalties gave the Cardinals the time they needed to make that TD.
-Gabbert made some good decisions and throws(except that INT).
-Cards D couldn't cover either Vance McDonald or Blake Bell. Maybe in the future this can be a partnership like Davis and Walker.
-Aaron Lynch is a beast.
-Armstead had some good penetrations IMO.

The bad:
-Gabbert INT was horrible.
-If we hadn't some crucial penalties maybe we would have won the game.
-O-Line got better but still bad. There would be much more sacks if wasn't for Gabbert ability to throw quickly and play under pressure.
-We are the most inconsistent team in the whole NFL. One game we stop one of the best offenses in the NFL than we struggle against a regular/bad offense than we stop other elite offense.
-Geep Chryst play calling early in the game. Short plays in long 3rd downs. Got better in the second half of the game.

The ugly:
-Refs.
The good
  • Defense shows its potential, slowing down a top 3 offense.
  • Despite scoring 13 points, this offense looks much better than when kap is in charge.
  • Draughn looks like a solid jack of all trades that we should keep for next season.
  • Nice to see that our players are still playing hard despite a hellish season.
The Bad
  • Those PI penalties need to be fixed, they are coachable so get your head out of your ass coaches!
  • Some of the defensive calls are questionable, we have been horrible at containment.
  • Its frustrating to have so much qb pressures yet little sacks, we need to show our defense.
  • Again, our defense shows its potential, but it also showed its youth, many mental errors are still being made. This will only be fixed in time.
The ugly
  • The roughing the passer call was probably the worst call I have ever seen. Even worse than the ahmad brooks hit on Brees. That was a textbook tackle yet the refs went full retard and wanted to protect the almighty qb.

Overall, this game did not go as bad as anticipated. We knocked around Palmer a lot, and knowing how fragile he is, could effect him. Also it's nice that we are getting a very solid 1st round pick. I love my niners, and I still root for them despite getting ridiculed, but this season has been hell and I don't blame fans if they hide their fandom.
Still wondering why it took this long to insert Purcell in the lineup? Jimmy T is loyal to a fault and needs to make moves sooner.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Still wondering why it took this long to insert Purcell in the lineup? Jimmy T is loyal to a fault and needs to make moves sooner.

Agree

Way too old school in that regard.

I'm still praying he's gone by the end of the season.
Originally posted by MikeD:
Why do some people here keep craping over how well some of the players played? Would it make you happy if we just lose by 40 points every week?

Because we need hope and we are seeing improvement.

We won't get any wins if we don't improve.

Otherwise - there's nothing to look forward to but loss after loss.
Originally posted by cciowa:
the continued multiple penalties our team makes is indicative of the poor coaching and teaching they have. losing close and playing decent at home while getting blown out on the road is not something to be happy about. oh and in terms of the penalties, when the team was good i sure as hell never blamed refs when we lost games and i am not going to start now. the o line is still the o line and the coaches are ok with it since they do nothing about it. may as well bring hayne back for the return game

While this is true...there has been a serious and marked decline in officiating in the last two years combined with a dramatic uptick in rules that are created to be deliberately judgment calls. The refs going back two years or so now have gone from making sure the game gets played fairly to directly deciding the outcome. It is a coincidence that we have gotten much worse in that time and if we were still good more often than not you can overcome it. But it doesn't change the fact that in the modern era the NFL from an outsiders perspective certainly looks rigged and any close game is pretty much decided by how they decide to call it. Look at how many times a game we hear from the announcers " I don't know what they saw there" or " you could call that on every down".
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
IM BACK FELLAS!! SORRY BEEN OUT FOR A WHILE, WHAT'S BEEN GOIN ON HERE W/ OUR TEAM????

Originally posted by gold49digger:
The good
  • Despite scoring 13 points, this offense looks much better than when kap is in charge.
  • Draughn looks like a solid jack of all trades that we should keep for next season.
The Bad
  • Those PI penalties need to be fixed, they are coachable so get your head out of your ass coaches!
  • Some of the defensive calls are questionable, we have been horrible at containment.
  • Its frustrating to have so much qb pressures yet little sacks, we need to show our defense.
  • Again, our defense shows its potential, but it also showed its youth, many mental errors are still being made. This will only be fixed in time.
The ugly
  • The roughing the passer call was probably the worst call I have ever seen. Even worse than the ahmad brooks hit on Brees. That was a textbook tackle yet the refs went full retard and wanted to protect the almighty qb.

Overall, this game did not go as bad as anticipated. We knocked around Palmer a lot, and knowing how fragile he is, could effect him. Also it's nice that we are getting a very solid 1st round pick. I love my niners, and I still root for them despite getting ridiculed, but this season has been hell and I don't blame fans if they hide their fandom.

Here is the thing on the PI ...the Cards were covering the exact same way and drew OPI for the same sort of coverage. I don't mind how you call it, full contact or basketball rules....but same set of rules for everybody.
Originally posted by joaosoarrs99:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Can I ask, what is there to like about Ward?

Fitzgerald only got 66 yards and no touchdown. Ward also blocked a pass targeted for Fitzgerald that would be a TD.

This. Ward is playing well. Nice break up on that TD pass.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
IM BACK FELLAS!! SORRY BEEN OUT FOR A WHILE, WHAT'S BEEN GOIN ON HERE W/ OUR TEAM????

some of us were dead wrong about everything in regards to the alleged coaches and teachers we have not to mention thinking people like simpson reggie and thomas will be studs for us..... alot of other posters were spot on about everything. now we, for the most part, are in the same boat. upset with the current situation and demanding major changes at the end of the year. i am calling for every single coach to go, everyone of them
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
WHAT CAN I SAY, IT TOOK A WHILE, A SLOW PROCESS, BUT EVENTUALLY, WE DID GET ON THE SAME BOAT..

ANY PLAYER(S) THAT WAS JUST A PURE WASTE OF TIME??

ANY OTHER POSTER(S) WHO STILL BELIEVE THAT GABBERT SHOULD HAVE NEVER GIVEN A CHANCE??
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by gold49digger:
The good
The Bad
The ugly

Here is the thing on the PI ...the Cards were covering the exact same way and drew OPI for the same sort of coverage. I don't mind how you call it, full contact or basketball rules....but same set of rules for everybody.

Exactly this.
Share 49ersWebzone