LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 191 users in the forums

Game #11 - The Good, Bad, Ugly

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The Good

• Played strong, showed some promise future. best part, we did that while improving draft stock.
  • Gabbert is efficient enough. i dont know if hes the future but hes definitely serviceable.
  • 49ers tight ends are all pretty productive.

The Bad
  • The line pf scrimmage on both sides of the ball. we need to flipped the time of possession and to do that we need better guys up front on both sodes of the ball.
  • Brocks ugly drop.
  • Ellingtons ugly drop.

The ugly
  • The refs.
  • MFWIC
  • Veteran
Good - defence

• Goatie
  • Veteran
The Good

Defence improved light years from last week

Gabbert improving

Bad

Gabbert Sacked twice - OLine and pass protection still needs a lot of work

Ugly

Ellington fumbles 2nd time in two weeks. Zero yards from PR and gave away possession at a critical time in the first quarter
lol Brock

The sun was in his eyes and it came down like a punt
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Can I ask, what is there to like about Ward?
what is there about to take your posts on NT seriously?
Originally posted by nj9er:
The ugly is that it wasn't a bad enough performance to get Baakle and Tomsula fired immediately. The team actually played a decent game on defense and the offense wasn't completely embarrassing.
lol, what the f... is going on in a mind like yours? you don't even know these guys in person, yet you kind of wish their dismissal as if it is personal...you even want us to lose just to reach this goal.

you know what? have you ever thought about the possibility that the team played good, defense in particular, thanks to baalke?
  • MikeD
  • Veteran
Why do some people here keep craping over how well some of the players played? Would it make you happy if we just lose by 40 points every week?
Originally posted by aussiepeter:
A loss is a loss nothing to be happy about even though they showed glimpses of playing better, plus think they have embarrassed themselves already this year cant be any worse
have you actually read the comment? they are happy with the improvement compared to last week. nobody told something about being indifferent on the outcome.

given that we were blown out by the Cards in the last meeting and their quality, one of the best teams in the league, whereas we are one of the worst, being happy after that performance especially on the defensive side of the ball, is absolutely ok.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
the continued multiple penalties our team makes is indicative of the poor coaching and teaching they have. losing close and playing decent at home while getting blown out on the road is not something to be happy about. oh and in terms of the penalties, when the team was good i sure as hell never blamed refs when we lost games and i am not going to start now. the o line is still the o line and the coaches are ok with it since they do nothing about it. may as well bring hayne back for the return game
The Good, we are moving towards the top of the draft, 4th pick over all, if we lose out, we can move up to #2, the Browns appear to be a formidable obstacle.

The Bad, We may be good enough to beat the Browns, and maybe the falling Rams.

The Ugly, Two more wins and York, might keep this coaching staff intact!

• frenz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
the continued multiple penalties our team makes is indicative of the poor coaching and teaching they have. losing close and playing decent at home while getting blown out on the road is not something to be happy about. oh and in terms of the penalties, when the team was good i sure as hell never blamed refs when we lost games and i am not going to start now. the o line is still the o line and the coaches are ok with it since they do nothing about it. may as well bring hayne back for the return game

Purely out of curiosity, how do we stand compared to other teams in terms of penalties conceded? It had, before this game, seemed like we had been giving up less penalties than our opponents each week. I was definitely disappointed that we had so many today.
With a few exceptions, what in the hell are the majority of you talking about? Did you even watch the game? That was the #1 Offense in the league, who it took 12 or was it 13 plays to score from the 1 yd line. And , no need to add, that included some 6 penalties, some deserved, some not.

On the drive where on 3rd down dial pasted Palmer, for a huge loss, he gets flagged for helmet to helmet which was bogus as all get out. That drive should have ended there, but instead, with a gift first down from the zebras....and then ended with a TD on a call that should have resulted in change of possession.

On the "illegal touch" screwup, that should have been a resulting FG, and instead was a gift TD a few plays later. What is really disturbing is that this is the age of instant information, and there is no reason that a chief of refs in NY watching all games, could very easily have re-looked at that "iillegal touch" play and told the on fthe field refs what the rules are. Why is that not standard operating procedure. For all the changes in the NFL yearly, why has that not been done. Same goes for the Dial hit. That kind of krapt should not be happening in the dot.com age. Shame on the NFL for not joiining the rest of the informed world.

Did my eyes deceive me or did the Cards have our WRs covered with a blanket on every play (except for Torrey's 40 yd bomb) but the TEs, just carved the Cards D up like a Thanksgiving turkey. My only question is why was Bell not used before, and once he got going this game, why wasn't he the bellcow...and used over and over ...the Cards never stopped him, and the guy has hands like glue and defenders bounce off him. He is going to be every bit as good as the Gronk, altho he is rough around the edges right now.
Based on this game, i would hope that Geep starts making this O more TE centric. Our guys were open virtually all the time. And i think only vance dropped one. No idea how Celek is but he is a winner also....but we need to make our O revolve around our TEs. Looks like Cards can cover our WRs, but definiitely not our TEs.

For an OL that kap couldn't play behind, to an OL that actually functioned, we have made light yrs of improvement. We should have had blaine in as QB after game 3. Blaine makes it look easy, and has a release that is lightning quick. Still the OL needs 3 startiers and we need them immediately (ie in FA and draft). The fact that gab can play decently behind a grossly awful OL, gives you an idea of what blaine might be able to do with a real OL. Future is bright. I was hoping for him to be a bridge QB thru 2016, but now i am curioius could he actually be the one? If so it would be one fascinating story.

Our DL played very well...the D calls looked professional...finally. Was that because mangini was up in the box, overlooking everything? It sure looked that way to me. We played well enough to win, but i give this W to the refs. They determined the ultimate outcome. Nothing to be ashamed of here, lots to be proud of. WRs? Boldin is getting long in the tooth, , Torrey seems to have trouble getting open, and patton...mmmm....not impressed. Our TEs look like the way forward. We have a couple really good ones.

The DBs continue to leave the middle 1/3 of the field wide open. Surely mangini can fix that. If not, can him. That weakness is getting old, seeing that week in, week out.

Overall, a lot of good out there, and our team played with heart and played hard. You naysayers....suggest you re-watch the game you see nothing but bad in.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Nov 30, 2015 at 6:43 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by frenz:
Originally posted by cciowa:

Purely out of curiosity, how do we stand compared to other teams in terms of penalties conceded? It had, before this game, seemed like we had been giving up less penalties than our opponents each week. I was definitely disappointed that we had so many today.
i do not know,. but we have to be near the top in regards to penalties not to mention missed tackling.. on one hand it is nice to see the team appear to have rallied around our new qb and we appear not to have a divided house but sloppy play could also be a sign, the guys are losing interest and that is all on the coaches, not to mention we are not competitive on the road,, of course we have seen that game before
The Good, The Niners played like a team
The Bad, the refs
The Ugly, 3-8 with 4/5-12/11 looking like a real possibility

I would rather have winning ugly than losing with class
The Good: #1 draft pick just got a little closer
Share 49ersWebzone