LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 193 users in the forums

Rooting for better draft position

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I mean if anything a loss is easier to swallow due to this but seriously? I want them to win out. I WANT the 49ers to win. It sucks to watch them lose.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
I mean if anything a loss is easier to swallow due to this but seriously? I want them to win out. I WANT the 49ers to win. It sucks to watch them lose.

This
It sounds like a communist thought to me. What about playing to win. How did the NFL get to this point?
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Dude honestly, after taking Anthony Davis at #11 which I was really happy about, why would you take another lineman 6 picks later at #17 in the 1st round?? We had a major hole at WR still even with getting Crabtree the year before. Imagine that offense with Crabtree, Dez and VD and Gore. Dang that would have been SICKO but the backwards 1950s thinking GM thought different and now we have NONE of those guys at all.

Two words.

Chilo Rachal.
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:
It sounds like a communist thought to me. What about playing to win. How did the NFL get to this point?

Super Bowl or bust. There's first and last.

Now that's established, let's do everything we can to build for the future.

Some rah-rah wins that drive down the chance of a quality draft position and increase the chances of Tomsula staying is fool's gold.
[ Edited by BodhiPaddlesOut on Dec 2, 2015 at 8:32 PM ]
Originally posted by BodhiPaddlesOut:
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:

Super Bowl or bust. There's first and last.

Now that's established, let's do everything we can to build for the future.

Some rah-rah wins that drive down the chance of a quality draft position and increase the chances of Tomsula staying is fool's gold.

The organization is building a culture of losing and that concerns me.

I want winners!

The typical loser talk I have come to expect from many posters on this forum. We can't make the postseason so lets tank the rest of the games so we can position ourselves better in the draft. "there's nothing left to play for" That is such BS I can't even stand to listen to it anymore. There's is always a reason to play. Let's start with the most fundamental, they're professional athletes it's what they get paid to do, athletes have the same goals as most fans and, I imagine, owners, they want to win championships but they also want to compete, it's the trait that got many of them where they are now.

You play to get better, a lot of guys who were inactive during the early games, like Mike Purcell, are getting their chance now and trying to make the most of it. The team will benefit by having an opportunity to evaluate them and see how they fit into their plans. No one could have had a realistic expectation of the team being very good this year so I don't see why anyone should be disappointed that they didn't. This year, like almost every other year in professional sports, is about building a team that is designed to compete for the long haul not tear up every year because the fans want more wins "this season", which is also why all this whining about Tomsula is ridiculous. How could they not fire him if he tanked the season rather than show them that he wants to compete in every game. The management said they wanted a teacher, lots of teachable moments this year for sure, how will he handle them. I have hard time imagining he won't be back next year and I hope he is, because I think the work he and his staff in are showing dividends. I see a lot right in what they are doing and have never seen the point in trying to demonstrate that this call was bad or that call sucked. Like anybody posting in this thread would know the difference

I think the defense has shown a lot of improvement since the beginning of the season as they get more comfortable with the new schemes and have but together a few monster performances this year and a lot of those guys are in only the 2nd or third year . The DB's and safeties I think are particularly strong. Tartt's a stud, Ward is improving, Acker, Cromartie, and Johnson have all shown ability. Whatever other shortcomings he has Baalke knows how to draft DBs.

If Kilgore comes back there are suddenly more options along the line and perhaps that makes the better and helps the offense execute and perform, which then allows the team to evaluate the coaches more objectively and show them where they need to improve. It's all part of the process. Also you watch to root for the team and to enjoy the big moments or interesting stories, this year it's Blaine Gabbert's redemption and Shaun Draughn's chances, or jaryd Haines improbable journey

And as far as trying to "position" your self better I the draft, the year Tom Brady went in the end of the sixth round, no less an "authority" than Bill Walsh said that he thought Gio Carmazzi was the best QB prospect in the draft. He ended up getting drafted early by the Niners and the rest, as they say, is history. I think that tells you everything you need to know about playing for position in the draft.
The management said they wanted a teacher, lots of teachable moments this year for sure, how will he handle them. I have hard time imagining he won't be back next year and I hope he is, because I think the work he and his staff in are showing dividends. I see a lot right in what they are doing and have never seen the point in trying to demonstrate that this call was bad or that call sucked. Like anybody posting in this thread would know the difference

Maybe you could help us out.
I seriously don't understand this line of thinking. A guy might be the best rated guy coming out of college, but if he doesn't fit your system, why would you draft him? A 4-3 DL doesn't necessarily translate well to a 3-4 DL. A spread or option QB, as we've all seen, doesn't necessarily translate into a pro system QB.

We hear all the time, "best player available," but that really means, "best player available within the confines of the system and what you're trying to achieve with that player."

A top 5 draft pick doesn't mean he'll automatically be good.

If you're not trying to win games, you shouldn't be playing.
Only ever root to win; A GAME, never to lose..That is all..

Originally posted by 49erfaninAZ:
Just wondering how each you feel about rooting for your team to lose after it's hopeless. With the hope of improving your draft position when it seems that's the best you can hope for.

This first:

And this:

It's hard to root for your team to lose but if there's ever a year to do its this one. It's not just the draft spot either it's the coaching staff, if we win something like 5 games this year even I think it'll give York and Baalke the incentive to keep Tomsula and company. It's crystal clear that this staff just won't get it done, the defense is inconsistent, the offense nonexistent and we get destroyed on the road. Theres no sense of urgency from this team they come off as lackadaisical, which is why even if we weren't to root for losses that's likely the expected result.
Originally posted by ace49ers:
Originally posted by 49erfaninAZ:
Just wondering how each you feel about rooting for your team to lose after it's hopeless. With the hope of improving your draft position when it seems that's the best you can hope for.

This first:

And this:

BOTH those guys were fired!
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Ya'll can root for whatever you want. Your choice won't change the fact that the team will do what they can to win their remaining games.

Any losses along the way are purely coincidental.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
These idiots will screw up our draft position by winning meaningless games at the end of the season against teams sitting their starters

unfortunately im pretty sure this is gonna happen. the only upside to this dumpster fire of a season was that we could have had a great high pick, now their gonna kill that all by pullin out 2-3 more pointless wins making not just this season a waste but the next draft a waste too. if we could get a high pick an get bosa our D could be great again
Share 49ersWebzone