There are 251 users in the forums

Preseason 4 - The Good, the Bad, The Ugly

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Crown:
Thing we all have to remember is that he (AA) isn't really going to be a "sack" guy. he will however be the catalyst to many sacks.

Perfectly stated! Who else is sick and tired of seeing our OLB's crashing in only to see the QB easily step up in the clean pocket b/c of a lack of push? That's about to change!
Originally posted by welvisdogger:
The Good:

DeAndrew White/Jarrad Hayne - We have the best returners Ive seen for a long time. DeAndrew White is on this team as a #5 receiver. If Hayne wasnt so electric, White would make this team and he wouldn't. Unfortunately for White, Jarrad Hayne has as much lower body power as some of the guys he is trying to block. He is a manchild.

Andrew Tiller - This guy is going to make this team. Ive been trumpeting him for a couple of weeks now, he had a solid game and Ian Silberman can't carry his jock strap.

Dylan Thompson - Im not saying he had a good game, but he has shown as much improvement as anybody on this team.

Kaleb Ramsey/Garrison Smith - Ill be shocked if these guys don't get picked up and we are able to keep them on the practice squad. I thought Ramsey outplayed Tank Carradine. These guys are why Lawrence Okoye is no longer on this team. They are just better. I especially hope Kaleb Ramsey makes the practice squad. He seems versatile and even has a little pass rush in him. Garrison Smith plays Ian Williams and Mike Purcells spot and he is light years ahead of where Purcell was 2 years ago. I really like both of these players.

Trenton Brown - Also didnt play "good" necessarily, but he is improving and I think he can be effective as a right tackle.

Kendall Hunter - He received the message, played much better. I do think he may get cut, as Davis looked just as good.

Rory Anderson - I believe he and Garrett Celek are playing for one spot. I don't think he makes it back to the practice squad. We really do have an embarrassment of riches at tight end. Also I wouldn't be totally shocked to see us keep 4 rb, 0-1 fb, 4-5 te. Tight ends as blockers are going to be a huge part of this offense. Especially as an extra blocker on the right side.

Jimmy Ward - Nice to see him mixing it up again.

Arik Armstead - I am starting to see what Baalke saw in him. He is one powerful dude.

Aaron Lynch - Clearly our best OLB.

Marcus Rush - I wish he had 3 inches and 20 lbs on him. If he did he would take Corey Lemonier's roster spot. The problem is that he just cannot get off blocks because of his size. He is always around the ball.

Bad

Ian Silberman - I took some flak for defending him last week, and while I still think he is a stud run blocker, I just don't know if he will make it in the passing game. I think his problem is that he has lower football awareness than some of the other guys. The strength is there but he takes piss poor blocking angles. He is going to get cut and put on the practice squad. He has the most ability to improve year 1 to year 2 on our whole team. I can see why Baalke drafted him but he is not ready yet.

Brandon Thomas - This guy frustrated me bad because sometimes he looks really good. Andrew Tiller outplays him on almost every play. He is boom or bust, when he misses a block he misses it by 2 feet. I also think he will improve.

Nick Moody - I wouldnt be shocked to see him cut. He's not as athletic as Wilhoite and doesnt have a very good feel for this position. Skov is better at this point.

Ugly

Patrick Miller - Not that he is one of our best 53, but he is just not very good.

A couple of things I noticed in this game;

-Corey Lemonier, in my opinion, outplayed Eli Harold in this game. I wasnt impressed with Harold last game either. One thing is for sure, Harold is no Aldon Smith. Dont be surprised if we sign an OLB off the waiver wire.

-Ellington is the slot receiver we've been missing. I hope they play him there.

-Hayne has shown enough on coverage and rb to make the team.

-Xavier Grimble is not a terrible tight end. This and DLine are our deepest positions

-Trent Brown is improving. I have high hopes for him.

-If they were drafted, Andrew Tiller and Dillon Farrell make this team easy over Joe Looney, Ian Silberman, and, at this point, Brandon Thomas.

-I wouldnt be surprised if we cut Bruce Miller and kept 5 tight ends. Not saying they should do this or that they will, but we have great run blockers everywhere.

-Speaking of which, and quote me on this, Our Running Game is better than it was last year. Chryst and Foerster are using our O-line the way they should be used in this blocking scheme.

-Dylan Thompson will probably not be on our practice squad. I don't see any situation where you could burn a roster spot on this type of qb. He's slight, he has happy feet, and seems to have slower awareness than other 3-4 stringers. I bet we pick up somebody else's cast off.

There you have it, feel free to disagree!

-

Great post and analysis/observations! Well done.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:

The Bad:
Wright

This dude has moved way down the depth chart. Veteran backup at best now.
Originally posted by NCommand:
The Bad:
Wright

The funny thing is that Wright really hasn't changed at all. He's still exactly what was expected when signed. It's just that all the young guys from last draft have gotten significantly better and are making him look bad in comparison. Pretty much exactly what was hoped for but not guaranteed before signing Wright.
Originally posted by walker807:
The Bad:
Wright

The funny thing is that Wright really hasn't changed at all. He's still exactly what was expected when signed. It's just that all the young guys from last draft have gotten significantly better and are making him look bad in comparison. Pretty much exactly what was hoped for but not guaranteed before signing Wright.

Exactly. Not even saying he's a poor CB either. Just the others, like you said, Acker, Johnson, Reaser, Brock (when out there), now Tartt, Ward (back in the mix), etc. are all so much better already. Wright needs to move back inside to the slot...this is his best position IMHO.
The Ugly:
Stupid penalties that wiped out big plays.

The Good:
With the exception of Mike Davis, all the other guys that committed penalties, are guys that are going to get cut.
Originally posted by 49erforlife:

Bad -
Patton - I am not impressed with anything he's done and won't be surprised if he doesn't make the team.

Go 49ers!

Yeah, he's been very unimpressive all TC. Has he even made one guy miss yet? If not for the Simpson suspension, I don't think he makes this team.

He reminds me of Jason Hill. The type of guy you really hope shows you something, and every now-and-then, you see a little flash in the pan. But that is it, never really shows any consistency as a playmaker.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
HOW ABOUT THE GREAT

Navarro doesn't like like he has missed a beat

I still can't believe Willis just retired. But, having his twin at full form will be huge. We have so many young guys on defense that having #53 leading them all will be huge.

We have two great safeties in Bethea and Reid. I hope Reid's career is not derailed by Borland.

I hope the offense is just waiting to be unwrapped. Gabbert looks like a great #2. He was a top 10 pick when Kaep was picked. Jax almost ruined him. That is why you sit QBs -- Joe with DeBerg, Young with Joe. How about Rodgers and Favre.

I still can't believe that we just cut Aldon. That will come back to doom us, like trading Haley. Mark my words. He will come back and be a beast. I hope it is not in the division.

He won't be coming back anytime this year because he still will face another suspension
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by 49erforlife:

Bad -
Patton - I am not impressed with anything he's done and won't be surprised if he doesn't make the team.

Go 49ers!

Yeah, he's been very unimpressive all TC. Has he even made one guy miss yet? If not for the Simpson suspension, I don't think he makes this team.

He reminds me of Jason Hill. The type of guy you really hope shows you something, and every now-and-then, you see a little flash in the pan. But that is it, never really shows any consistency as a playmaker.

Perfect example. It sucks b/c he is a very hard worker but others just outshine him constantly.
Don't see how they don't keep Purcell. He deserved to be at least in the rotation with his play. Thompson showed some moxie, some mobility, and some good throws. Ok with him being #3 right if he keeps improving.

Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Don't see how they don't keep Purcell. He deserved to be at least in the rotation with his play. Thompson showed some moxie, some mobility, and some good throws. Ok with him being #3 right if he keeps improving.

I think he would have made it either way but with Dockett cut, he's guaranteed a spot!
Originally posted by BarrySandwich:
Davis,Ellington and White looked pretty delicious today
lol
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i think our rookie class or a vast majority of them were wonderful in pre season and this could be a great great class, both to help us win this year and in the future. and no season ending injuries thank god
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Originally posted by BarrySandwich:
Davis,Ellington and White looked pretty delicious today

I have never seen a thirstier gif than this.
Share 49ersWebzone