LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 238 users in the forums

Will the 49ers go after G Evan Mathis???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Evan Mathis is now a FA because his 5.5 and 6 million he was due to receive this year and next evidently wasn't enough money for him. He is 34 and was ranked the number 1 G in the league from 2011-2013 and number 2 last year. Do the 49ers make a run at him? We have anywhere from 10.3-10.8 mill in cap space and need almost have of that to cover bonuses. Do you want him? Does it make sense financially? Are you concerned with age? I don't think we make a run because of how much he may want. However who would be willing to pay what he wants for a 34 year old G? Maybe his number comes down but right now I don't see it.
I think we might, because a lot of teams right now, are right against the cap, and don't have money like that to play around with. Will we sign him? Probably not, but we sure could use him at LG, and let B. Thomas and Martin fight it out for the RG spot. Personally I hope we do get him, because then we don't have to rely on too much inexperience on the line, and it would give us more depth with one of Thomas or Martin being on the bench.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Already a thread on this and free agent talk doesn't belong in 9ertalk. Thank you very much.
Share 49ersWebzone