There are 190 users in the forums

Joe Montana Legacy Secured

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Ha, this comparison at this time, with Brady being the opening story on national news, Fox, CNN, and ESPN. You gotta be kidding. It's Joe, hands down. There was never a question about his wins. Brady? Yeah, there are some questions about his wins, and the 2 SB losses? That cinches it.
The deflated balls things is just a complete joke. I couldn't care less. This story is blown wildly out of proportion because the media loves controversy. Aaron Rodgers basically came out and casually admitted that he did the exact same thing (only he over-inflated balls instead).

The truth is that a huge chunk of people here are not capable of having an objective discussion if it involves a beloved 49ers player. Look at how people reacted when Jerry Rice came out and admitted to using stickum. It was just swarms of excuses and apologists telling us why it didn't matter. Well guess what? The deflated balls stuff doesn't matter either. Remember when Bill Parcells accused Bill Walsh of disabling the communication systems of his opponents? Surely that can't be true, it's only hearsay! A 49er represents honor, integrity and righteousness, that simply couldn't be true!

As far as Montana/Brady, I think it's a great debate. Personally, I side with Brady, but I can see it both ways and I think it's a very close argument. When people talk about players from the past, they often romanticize. They become legends, and the tales of the legends grow larger and more exaggerated. "It was tougher for Joe Montana. Back then, quarterbacks had to walk uphill both ways through snow to get to and from practice!" It's like that basketball statistic that was floated around recently [ http://tinyurl.com/nl4aet9
]. You would never in a million years guess that. You'd think that Jordan was 30-for-30 on such shots. To see how LeBron compares is truly amazing.

Some aspects of Joe's game were tougher (harder to pass back then, which is why we can't compare their numbers straight up without adjustment), some aspects were easier (no salary cap, more loaded teams; starting in 1982, the NFC won 15 of 16 Super Bowls... sounds like a lot of talent disparity, which isn't nearly as extreme today).

To me, Jerry Rice is GOAT at his position. Nobody comes close. I don't think Montana was that way. I think there are legitimate arguments for others. But, again, the Webzone is not the place where people will acknowledge this.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
To be completely honest, I've always thought Marino was/is the best QB ever. If Marino was on the Niners, he would've won multiple Superbowls as well. I don't think Montana would've won any if he was on the Dolphins.

Marino was a horrible post season QB. He was Peyton Manning before Peyton Manning.

It's ALWAYS an "IF"

Reality check - there is no "if's" in life

You either did it or you didn't.
I see an if in it...
Originally posted by pdizo916:
To be completely honest, I've always thought Marino was/is the best QB ever. If Marino was on the Niners, he would've won multiple Superbowls as well. I don't think Montana would've won any if he was on the Dolphins.

Marino was a horrible post season QB. He was Peyton Manning before Peyton Manning.
Marino and all his SB appearances (1) at the age of 23 against one of the greatest teams of all time and the greatest QB of all time, Marino had possibly one of the most underwhelming offenses (mostly one dimensional) and yet were still always in the playoffs at that time it was so much harder to be one dimensional because of the way the rules were in the passing game. I think people don't give a lot of credit to Marino, dude was the Dolphins.
[ Edited by Jesu80ncleats on May 12, 2015 at 9:38 AM ]
Originally posted by theduke85:
The deflated balls things is just a complete joke. I couldn't care less. This story is blown wildly out of proportion because the media loves controversy. Aaron Rodgers basically came out and casually admitted that he did the exact same thing (only he over-inflated balls instead).

The truth is that a huge chunk of people here are not capable of having an objective discussion if it involves a beloved 49ers player. Look at how people reacted when Jerry Rice came out and admitted to using stickum. It was just swarms of excuses and apologists telling us why it didn't matter. Well guess what? The deflated balls stuff doesn't matter either. Remember when Bill Parcells accused Bill Walsh of disabling the communication systems of his opponents? Surely that can't be true, it's only hearsay! A 49er represents honor, integrity and righteousness, that simply couldn't be true!

As far as Montana/Brady, I think it's a great debate. Personally, I side with Brady, but I can see it both ways and I think it's a very close argument. When people talk about players from the past, they often romanticize. They become legends, and the tales of the legends grow larger and more exaggerated. "It was tougher for Joe Montana. Back then, quarterbacks had to walk uphill both ways through snow to get to and from practice!" It's like that basketball statistic that was floated around recently [ http://tinyurl.com/nl4aet9
]. You would never in a million years guess that. You'd think that Jordan was 30-for-30 on such shots. To see how LeBron compares is truly amazing.

Some aspects of Joe's game were tougher (harder to pass back then, which is why we can't compare their numbers straight up without adjustment), some aspects were easier (no salary cap, more loaded teams; starting in 1982, the NFC won 15 of 16 Super Bowls... sounds like a lot of talent disparity, which isn't nearly as extreme today).

To me, Jerry Rice is GOAT at his position. Nobody comes close. I don't think Montana was that way. I think there are legitimate arguments for others. But, again, the Webzone is not the place where people will acknowledge this.

The bias is telling, that's why I say what I have to say and when I see where the convo is going I leave it alone.
  • thl408

(grips ban hammer) jk

The best situation from the latest SB was NE beating SEA, then getting caught for cheating. If only they were caught cheating in the SB. In the end, people don't ask, "How", they ask, "How many". So Brady has his 4, but whenever engaged in an depth discussion, we as 49er fans can always point to the cheating scandals that surround Brady in order to help us make our point that Joe is the BOAT (Bestest Of All Time)
  • thl408
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:

The bias is telling, that's why I say what I have to say and when I see where the convo is going I leave it alone.

I cannot deny my bias.

As far as Montana/Brady, I think it's a great debate. Personally, I side with Brady, but I can see it both ways and I think it's a very close argument. When people talk about players from the past, they often romanticize. They become legends, and the tales of the legends grow larger and more exaggerated. "It was tougher for Joe Montana. Back then, quarterbacks had to walk uphill both ways through snow to get to and from practice!"

Are you really trying to minimize the difference between now an then in terms of what kinds of beatings they allowed on QB's???!! Please don't even go there. Were you actually watching games in the 80's. Montana and almost every other QB in the league took a huge beating almost every game. Brady has never had to deal with punishment like teams such as the Bears, Giants, Redskins, Eagles and Saints were dishing out. Lawrence Taylor's job was to knock QB's out of the game. Every time the Niners played the Falcons, they tried to knock him out of the game. Jerry Glanville even whined after a Niner game one time that it was unfair that when they knocked Montana out, they got Young and there was no drop off.

Honestly, and I'm putting aside my Niner fan homer attitude on this, I'm not sure Tom Brady would have lasted two seasons in the 80's.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
6 Super Bowls > 4 Super Bowls.

Brady is better.

So if you had to pick 1 QB to win a game, you would pick Brady? I don't think so!
Originally posted by crake49:
Honestly, and I'm putting aside my Niner fan homer attitude on this, I'm not sure Tom Brady would have lasted two seasons in the 80's.
As far as I know, Brady has never missed a start in his entire career, with the exception of missing the 2008 season after tearing his ACL/MCL. You're telling me with a straight face that you think he goes from borderline ironman to "lasting two seasons in the 80's"? Spare me. That's exactly the type of hyperbole I'm talking about.

By the way, no, I am not trying to downplay that it was harder on quarterbacks back then. I've been one of the most vocal proponents of adjusting stats for era because of how coddled quarterbacks are today. But even if Joe had this going against him, he had a lot of good things going for him (e.g. throwing to the GOAT player in NFL history for the majority of his career).
[ Edited by theduke85 on May 12, 2015 at 10:32 AM ]

Originally posted by crake49:
As far as I know, Brady has never missed a start in his entire career, with the exception of missing the 2008 season after tearing his ACL/MCL. You're telling me with a straight face that you think he goes from borderline ironman to "lasting two seasons in the 80's"? Spare me.
Brady is a statue..he would get killed in the 80's..
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Brady may just be the better passer, but no way he's the better QB ... no argument at all..

I couldn't agree more...the NFL wants offense, so don't see an issue with letting a QB have the ball the way he likes it. Not to mention how smart is it to allow teams to prepare their own footballs then?...like the Pats are the only team that do this.

Re: Montana v Brady...they're both great QBs, but different eras, blah blah blah...gun to my head Montana gets my vote, but these kind of debates I couldn't possibly care less.
Yea Montana was the greatest, but one could argue Brady is a better team mate. He works with everyone on the team to get an edge, just ask the ball boys, video crew, and the kicker.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dwy621:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
6 Super Bowls > 4 Super Bowls.

Brady is better.

So if you had to pick 1 QB to win a game, you would pick Brady? I don't think so!
there is no one else i would rather have. i sure do wish we could have traded young to the chiefs for derrick thomas. let joe beat dallas twice, win a few more super bowls, put bono in the exact same offense. with thomas our defense never would have gotten old before our eyes. damn
Share 49ersWebzone