There are 332 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
PFF team of the week....
https://www.pff.com/news/pro-pffs-nfl-team-of-the-week-2019-nfl-preseason-week-3
C Ben Garland, San Francisco 49ers 82.0 Overall Grade, 38 Offensive Snaps
It's a San Francisco 49ers-heavy offensive line on the PFF Team of the Week this week, starting with center Ben Garland. Seeing 22 snaps in pass protection, Garland produced a 100.0 pass-blocking efficiency rating after allowing zero sacks, hits or hurries against the Kansas City Chiefs.

RG Mike Person, San Francisco 49ers 83.8 Overall Grade, 22 Offensive Snaps
The second of three San Francisco 49ers offensive linemen to make the PFF Team of the Week this week, right guard Mike Person saw 22 snaps against the Kansas City Chiefs. He produced a PFF run-blocking grade of 78.9 in his first action of the summer and didn't allow a single sack, hit or hurry from 13 snaps in pass protection.

RT Mike McGlinchey, San Francisco 49ers 81.3 Overall Grade, 38 Offensive snaps
The San Francisco 49ers 2018 first-round draft pick saw his biggest workload of the season so far, playing 38 snaps at right tackle against the Kansas City Chiefs. McGlinchey produced a 100.0 pass-blocking efficiency rating and has yet to surrender a sack, hit or hurry on 28 pass-blocking snaps so far this preseason.

I just can't put any credibility in PFF NY, not because of this list but because overall in WZ we tend to agree with them when its news in which we agree but then shoot down their credibility (when they ranked this OL terrible in the run game) with news we don't agree. I don't think they are a reliable measure - especially for the OL.

That's fair, you can watch the game for yourself. The QBs overall were kept clean (outside of that one rep that Staley lost).

It's your choice to agree or don't that's cool...I'm seeing guys like NC use PFF to point out poor things with this OL, SO when they post something positive (PP wise) I think it's fair to put that out there.

I don't use PFF as the end all be all. I have my issues with it as well... it is nice to put some quantifiable measurement to football plays though.
PFF team of the week....
https://www.pff.com/news/pro-pffs-nfl-team-of-the-week-2019-nfl-preseason-week-3
It's a San Francisco 49ers-heavy offensive line on the PFF Team of the Week this week, starting with center Ben Garland. Seeing 22 snaps in pass protection, Garland produced a 100.0 pass-blocking efficiency rating after allowing zero sacks, hits or hurries against the Kansas City Chiefs.

The second of three San Francisco 49ers offensive linemen to make the PFF Team of the Week this week, right guard Mike Person saw 22 snaps against the Kansas City Chiefs. He produced a PFF run-blocking grade of 78.9 in his first action of the summer and didn't allow a single sack, hit or hurry from 13 snaps in pass protection.

The San Francisco 49ers 2018 first-round draft pick saw his biggest workload of the season so far, playing 38 snaps at right tackle against the Kansas City Chiefs. McGlinchey produced a 100.0 pass-blocking efficiency rating and has yet to surrender a sack, hit or hurry on 28 pass-blocking snaps so far this preseason.

as I said when we first signed him. Garland is this year's Mike Person. Key depth for us.
You're right. You do have to watch the games. Our starters on O played longer than their starters on D. Chiefs rarely pressured Jimmy G and starters really didn't do anything fancy. IMHO, they SHOULD have kept him clean. It's preseason. Our expectations are so low that basic functionality is a win. LOL. I'm eager for week 1 and to see what this OL can do and if they can be durable for the first 5 games.

Chris Jones had the same amount of snaps as Garland and Person in week 3. Frank Clark and Okafor each had 23. I mean our scheme was also nothing fancy, so that can go either way.

It's fair to say the OL overall had a good game in week 3 of the preseason (which is the most important). 3 of our 5 OL had the highest grade across the board in week 3, that's not low expectations, that's a job well done.

our OL get's crushed anytime something poor happens, why we can't we give them a little credit when they do well...that's all I'm saying.

I'm eager for week 1 as well. Hoping that Richburg can get back to his top end PP ways like back in NY
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Aug 27, 2019 at 7:25 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Uck. No wonder you two are OK with adequate G play.

But but we were told

The second of three San Francisco 49ers offensive linemen to make the PFF Team of the Week this week, right guard Mike Person saw 22 snaps against the Kansas City Chiefs. He produced a PFF run-blocking grade of 78.9 in his first action of the summer and didn't allow a single sack, hit or hurry from 13 snaps in pass protection

I don't hate our starting line, never have...it's when we starting looking a the "depth" that I am scared s**tless. Depth is in quotes for a reason, an ant couldn't drown that pool.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
I don't hate our starting line, never have...it's when we starting looking a the "depth" that I am scared s**tless. Depth is in quotes for a reason, an ant couldn't drown that pool.

It's the same across the entire league though. Nobody has a stockpile of starting caliber linemen waiting in the wings.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Scarlettlove:
It's the same across the entire league though. Nobody has a stockpile of starting caliber linemen waiting in the wings.

how anyone can be fine with our current guards is beyond me but whatever. its not that the regime did not know this has been a issue for years. signing journey men. hoping etc is no way to protect your qb
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:

Didn't say it was, just stating a fact. If by some luck we can pick up a decent cut or trade depth for depth it needs to be explored. but I think if you are posting about the last game when we had most of our starters in and laying the wood to guys who have line complaints your moving the goal post on the argument a bit. Most of us are pretty upbeat about the starters.
Originally posted by cciowa:

how anyone can be fine with our current guards is beyond me but whatever. its not that the regime did not know this has been a issue for years. signing journey men. hoping etc is no way to protect your qb

You are obviously a notable exception to my thread.
PFF team of the week....

I just can't put any credibility in PFF NY, not because of this list but because overall in WZ we tend to agree with them when its news in which we agree but then shoot down their credibility (when they ranked this OL terrible in the run game) with news we don't agree. I don't think they are a reliable measure - especially for the OL.

That's fair, you can watch the game for yourself. The QBs overall were kept clean (outside of that one rep that Staley lost).

It's your choice to agree or don't that's cool...I'm seeing guys like NC use PFF to point out poor things with this OL, SO when they post something positive (PP wise) I think it's fair to put that out there.

I don't use PFF as the end all be all. I have my issues with it as well... it is nice to put some quantifiable measurement to football plays though.

I think from game to game there are inconsistencies but over the course of a season, it gets very consistent.
Originally posted by cciowa:

I don't think you are taking scheme into full consideration. As good as Nelson was for the Colts last year he doesn't fit our scheme. We use non prototypical linemen who are more agile. It's the same with our RBs. Breida is a prime example.

Staley 1st rd pick
Tomlinson 1st rd pick
Mcg 1st rd pick
Richburg 2nd rd pick
Person 6th rd pick (drafted by 49ers)

Definitely some talent there though.
[ Edited by Scarlettlove on Aug 27, 2019 at 8:13 AM ]

Keeping 8:
Staley
Tomlinson
Richburg
Person
McGlinchey
Garland (C/G)
Young (Swing T)
Brunskill (T/G)
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Isn't our OLine supposed to resemble those mobile linemen like the Broncos had in the late 90's that were pumping out no named thousand yard rushers every year? I mean the coach of those Broncos' son is our coach now.
Originally posted by MuggD:
Isn't our OLine supposed to resemble those mobile linemen like the Broncos had in the late 90's that were pumping out no named thousand yard rushers every year? I mean the coach of those Broncos' son is our coach now.

REALLY? Breaking news
Originally posted by NCommand:
The entire season hinges on you big fella. No pressure.

if person and richburg can play all season at their best level then that greatly reduces our need for an interior OL upgrade. problem is...idk if theyve all made it through a whole season together healthy yet.
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Originally posted by MuggD:

REALLY? Breaking news

DOUCHEBAG ALERT
Share 49ersWebzone