There are 177 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by NCommand:
For real.

Yep. Had a good game. Shining spot on a group of less talented players.

Ditto,

Also Staley looks like he's slowed down a bit.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Long line of talented QB's coming into the league and gradually ruined psychologically and physically over time d/t poor situations/protection.

Shot gun should help keep wider windows open longer too. OL getting pushed back starts to close those passing windows though. It's a feel. Right now JG is probably just focused on the WR and not focused too much on what's in front of him.

Agree, and also OLine should know if the primary read is a slant, then the OLineman should fire out and keep the DLine's hands down, or do a cut block. I am confident that will be fixed once the OLine and Jimmy play more together and get more reps. Kyle calling a whole bunch of passes one after the other doesn't make it hard for Fangio or Spagnola to predict that the next play is going to be a pass - and start sitting on those routes and/or telling his DLine to raise their hands.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
For real.

Yep. Had a good game. Shining spot on a group of less talented players.

Ditto,

I loved how he dropped back and pass protected. Very quick feet, and nice kick outs. I'm really looking forward to seeing him go to the Left Tackle position once Staley hangs it up. Also, looking forward to the 2020 draft and hoping we get Staley 2.0, Eric Heitman 2.0, Randy Cross 2.0!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Ditto,

now that is something that we do not even want to go there on.. we just assume our tackles are the best part of our line.. we do not need staley to regress
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
Uck. No wonder you two are OK with adequate G play.

what we have is not adequate in my opinion

Agree

Andrew Luck is the "Poster-Boy" as an outcome of poor OLine performance.

IMO, we need to do for our OLine what JL/KS did for the DLine.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Just a justification. You're strong where you choose to focus your resources on.

with the exception of mike mc.. the quality of the resources they have brought in for the line has reeked. that may be to strong a word for our center but he has done nothing and we all just assume its cuz he was hurt
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
Ditto,

now that is something that we do not even want to go there on.. we just assume our tackles are the best part of our line.. we do not need staley to regress

I'm hoping it was just miscommunication or the guard took a wrong step or the center called a bad protection call. I'm thinking ShanaLynch won't give a new contract to somebody on a downward trajectory. I hope.

But if Staley is slowing down, the 2020 class has (according to the draft nerds) a great class of OLinemen to draft from. I'm hoping (as somebody else on this thread said) that they can do to the OLine what they did to the D Line.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
just rewatched it and person did his Job and stood up jones (didn't push him into the backfield at all) and JG threw it right to jones . Jones didn't even have to move.

Yeah I'm watching it now on NFLN it was a poor throw..

had to rewatch because wanted to make sure I remember what I saw. We were all on our way out to dinner after the 2nd series and I had a few drinks and few more at dinner lol. Same thing though that I remembered seeing last night.

Certainly makes it easier lol. But in this instance was just pointing out you were wrong, respectfully of course, that Person got pushed back and he was the culprit for that specific batted pass.
with Richburg coming back will our OL finally be a good unit. He is the centerpiece.

The entire season hinges on you big fella. No pressure.

Originally posted by NYniner85:
just rewatched it and person did his Job and stood up jones (didn't push him into the backfield at all) and JG threw it right to jones . Jones didn't even have to move.

Yeah I'm watching it now on NFLN it was a poor throw..

had to rewatch because wanted to make sure I remember what I saw. We were all on our way out to dinner after the 2nd series and I had a few drinks and few more at dinner lol. Same thing though that I remembered seeing last night.

Certainly makes it easier lol. But in this instance was just pointing out you were wrong, respectfully of course, that Person got pushed back and he was the culprit for that specific batted pass.

All good my friend.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
with Richburg coming back will our OL finally be a good unit. He is the centerpiece.

Don't insult that mighty robot, bruh...that's a bad ass robot.
PFF team of the week....
https://www.pff.com/news/pro-pffs-nfl-team-of-the-week-2019-nfl-preseason-week-3
C Ben Garland, San Francisco 49ers 82.0 Overall Grade, 38 Offensive Snaps
It's a San Francisco 49ers-heavy offensive line on the PFF Team of the Week this week, starting with center Ben Garland. Seeing 22 snaps in pass protection, Garland produced a 100.0 pass-blocking efficiency rating after allowing zero sacks, hits or hurries against the Kansas City Chiefs.

RG Mike Person, San Francisco 49ers 83.8 Overall Grade, 22 Offensive Snaps
The second of three San Francisco 49ers offensive linemen to make the PFF Team of the Week this week, right guard Mike Person saw 22 snaps against the Kansas City Chiefs. He produced a PFF run-blocking grade of 78.9 in his first action of the summer and didn't allow a single sack, hit or hurry from 13 snaps in pass protection.

RT Mike McGlinchey, San Francisco 49ers 81.3 Overall Grade, 38 Offensive snaps
The San Francisco 49ers 2018 first-round draft pick saw his biggest workload of the season so far, playing 38 snaps at right tackle against the Kansas City Chiefs. McGlinchey produced a 100.0 pass-blocking efficiency rating and has yet to surrender a sack, hit or hurry on 28 pass-blocking snaps so far this preseason.

But but we were told

RG Mike Person, San Francisco 49ers 83.8 Overall Grade, 22 Offensive Snaps
The second of three San Francisco 49ers offensive linemen to make the PFF Team of the Week this week, right guard Mike Person saw 22 snaps against the Kansas City Chiefs. He produced a PFF run-blocking grade of 78.9 in his first action of the summer and didn't allow a single sack, hit or hurry from 13 snaps in pass protection
How many offensive lineman do you guys think we keep? 8 or 9? Which ones...

I'm going with
Staley, Tomlinson, Richburg, Person, McGlinchy, Garland and.... This is where it gets tough. I think we finally move on from Garnett. I think Sam Young makes it unless we pick up another veteran OT off waivers. I like Ross Reynolds but I think we get him on the PS and he's a year away from being game day ready. Wesley Johnson has been pretty solid but he's mainly a center so that hurts him. Justin Skule is a PS guy and also a year or two away from being ready. I do think he will be a solid, versatile NFL backup
Share 49ersWebzone