LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 146 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Great news. No surgery needed for Tomlinson's MCL tear and he's back already.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/125635-healthy-laken-tomlinson-working-49ers-first-team-offense-during/

I would take our offensive line over the rams and chiefs honestly
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Considering our oline was playing injured most of the time and getting shuffled around, being average is a compliment

The starting line is good. Period. If a couple of the back ups can pressure to start, that will be huge. We need all the reinforcements

The same panthers oline that gets newton killed year in year out?
Our line is going to be good this year everyones healthy and its their 2nd year starting together. Theyre going to play way better than last year. Jimmy's got real weapons now too everythings in place for success im juiced. I hope we can start the season with a bang take it to Tampa bay.
Originally posted by Waterbear:

I can understand optimism, but c'mon man....
Originally posted by pdizo916:

I can understand optimism, but c'mon man....

Not sure whats so funny. Chiefs oline is very average and Rams lost Saffold and their center. But go ahead and tell me how much you know about the interior line play of those two teams?

Yeah I don't have a reference point here but PFF noted last night we gave up 175 QB pressures and Knisely noted we gave up 124 QB hits (2nd most) and there was little difference between the 3 QB's. Yikes. If that's average today, OL's are horrendous around the NFL now. Ha.

Originally posted by 24karat49er:
Our line is going to be good this year everyones healthy and its their 2nd year starting together. Theyre going to play way better than last year. Jimmy's got real weapons now too everythings in place for success im juiced. I hope we can start the season with a bang take it to Tampa bay.

That's certainly the hope.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Yeah I don't have a reference point here but PFF noted last night we gave up 175 QB pressures and Knisely noted we gave up 124 QB hits (2nd most) and there was little difference between the 3 QB's. Yikes. If that's average today, OL's are horrendous around the NFL now. Ha.

Unfortunately all those hits add up to wear and tear on our QB's. (According to Ben Peterson - our Head Coach of training)
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 24karat49er:

That's certainly the hope.

IF that line can stay healthy, I really think they will perform a lot better than last year, even if there was no additional talent. It's going to be fun to see Jimmy's quick release and an improved OLine protection and all the weapons Jimmy now has. But it starts with the OLine protections - there was a video of 18 of Dante's catches from last year on the Dante Pettis thread, and all of those downs started with great pass protection.
I'm still concerned about the interior, Tomlinson is ok and has improved but I wouldn't hate if we upgraded across the interior all over.

Hopeful Richburg's mediocre at best season was due to the injuries, would love to see him stay healthy and play based on his salary but hard to expect that at this point.

Can't help see Person and hope someone beats him out but overall he played decent last year.

Having Jimmy and his quick release back will help. Having better WRs who can hopefully get open easier will help as well. But OL should still be a priority next offseason. Would love to have the ability to have Jimmy sit back there for 5 seconds without a worry in the world if we wanted to do it.
Originally posted by Giedi:

Unfortunately all those hits add up to wear and tear on our QB's. (According to Ben Peterson - our Head Coach of training)

Well pass protection is just half of the equation. I wouldn't put our pass protection above many teams at all, but Staley and MM are about as good as it gets in run blocking tackles which can't be overlooked.
Share 49ersWebzone