LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 181 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
"Build your lines first" ....V. L. When you look at the number of DLs we have acquired via draft or FA, it is lopsided compared to OL, going back into baalke's time here. Our OL acquisitions are way, way less than we have made for the DL. And yes, we had the #32 D in the league prior to Kyle, JOhn and Saleh. Specifically we could not stop runs up the gut. Everyone remembers how sickening that was. Well, Salem changed that to middle of the pack. We still lack the ER, and probably will once again, unless we get lucky and draft a young prospect and coach him up..

Meantime, it is time to splurge on the OL and bring it up to par. It is not that it is substandard, it is poor and cannot protect our FRANCHISE, #10.
So if we bought Norwell in FA, (gonna be top $$, no question about it), well that is way overdue. Then to commit to Nelson in draft...that would be perfect. That would still get us only 2/3 of the way there. We either need a Richburg or a genuine draft starter at C...or a guy who is not that far off of starting. And if Nelson is gone, then we are in need of one of the many OGs in draft or maybe two. But somehow, we need 2 OG starters and one C starter plus at least one or more OG/Cs to coach up. Forget OTs this yr as not really good yr for them. But load up on top flite OGs and Cs. Great yr for them. And based on the OL John and Kyle put together last yr (admittedly not a great lot to choose from) they owe us a good one this yr. I believe we will get it.
okay, doc, your repeated preaching of the gospel according to Lombardi raises a question: what's the difference between building an o-line and building a d-line?

doesn't the o-line require more cohesiveness and "chemistry" while the d-line can rely more on individuals with great physical skills and techniques? aside from some "twists" or "stunts" the d-line doesn't really execute "plays" the way an o-line does--and has to--on every snap, does it?

so it may take longer, more reps together, to build an o-line than a d-line, and won't just magically happen by throwing 5 new guys together, no matter how great their physical abilities might be. it takes time together and coaching, to get all 5 guys to execute all their assignments together, cohesively on every play.

so I look for shanny to build his o-line with patience--working newer talents into his system slowly, after they prove they can execute it as backups in practice and on the ps. NOT by drafting or signing 3 or 4 new guys and then just starting them and hoping everything works out ok.

that might prove detrimental to the FQB.

Hey , OND, good points all. Yes, the OL does require chemistry...but also talent . With current Interior OL, Kilgore, Fsco, Laken, we don't have the talent to protect JG.
You are correct the OL has to learn to work together. That is why I like Norwell so much. He is an all pro, still young enough but a real foundation to build your interior OL on. We aren't throwing 5 new guys together out there, but will be throwing three together. And yes it will take time to get all 5 on the same page. But Joe S and Trenton are already broken in. That's another reason I also like Sitton PLUS Norwell, even at an inflated price for Norwell of $12 mil/yr...or worse. Sitton has experience and would help immensely. Then if NELSON happened to fall to us (remember CLEVE can screw up a hammer) and do anything nutty if possible. But most likely Norwell is gone and we go Landry, Roquan, etc. We DO have our CB(assuming Achilles is healthy). So #9 is a starter no matter who we take. But Nelson would be extra special and make that OL NFL dominant.

As for working new talent in slowly to the OL, OND...I would just point out that Kilgore, Fsco, Laken...have proven they cannot protect JG. Yes they looked better because Jimmy got the ball out quick, but he can only take so much of a beating back there after throwing the ball. We don't have the option of getting the OL better slowly, IMO. We got that $137 mil package out there and have to protect him from the gitgo in game 1. If that all the OL can do...protect our passer, initially, fine by me. They can work on learning run blocking together slowly. But our die has been cast. We have our FR QB and protecting him has just become job #1. But come season, we better be prepared to protect our Franchise, #10. Only high quality new blood will do that.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by deviledEgg:
I hope we sign a top notch free agent and draft center/swing tackle in the draft to groom. Staley is much older now, Brown off the injury a Gilliam is average. Garnett is either a dark horse or average at best, I do have high hopes for him though since he is training hard to make a comeback.

I am really curious about Garnetts body transformation. Would love to see a before and after picture at the start of training camp. If all he has been doing is getting slimmer and stronger I am really excited about his future.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-offensive-lines-from-the-2017-nfl-season

20th best Oline with terrible QB's in Hoyer and Beathard under center for 11 games.

We would have been a top 10 unit with Garrapolo under center all 16.

Add a guard in free agency and a young tackle in the draft and we are set.
If you have no run game, but an excellent passing game, defenses will cheat to the pass and zone blitz you in weird coverage schemes that make it real difficult for your QB to diagnose the coverage. If you have no run game, what's to stop a defense going Dime defense on you and basically rush four and drop 7? A good run game calms those weird pass defense down and forces them to play balanced base defense that gives your QB easier QB reads. No more nose tackles dropping into coverage, and don't disregard athletic Nose Tackles in coverage. This is the NFL where Nose Tackles can run and drop into coverage and intercept passes too (Michael Carter for example). My nightmare is the blind side CB blitz on your franchise QB. While the QB is looking right, the Left CB is blitzing the QB and nails the QB as he's throwing and chops the QB's arms causing a labruim tear and falls on the QB and causes broken ribs (if not worse). With a strong run game, defenses go more towards read and react and containing type defenses which are eaiser to read in play action schemes.

Obviously, having both a strong run game and a great passing attack are valuable, but my contention is it's much easier to scheme a run game given a great pass attack than the other way around. You can spread the field in the WCO to create running lanes. But if they put eight guys in the box and dare you to pass...not much of a running game can exist unless you have Dallas' OL...and even then--probably not.

If the LCB blitzes you'd better hope you have a Gore blocking to help the QB or have a QB like JG who can get rid of the ball in the bat of an eye. An elite LT is not going to block both the DE and the CB.

Edit: forgot to add--the difference between OL play from Beathard to JG explains just how much a scheme and QB can impact the pass rush...more than spending hugh sums on the OL.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Mar 12, 2018 at 9:20 AM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
If you have no run game, but an excellent passing game, defenses will cheat to the pass and zone blitz you in weird coverage schemes that make it real difficult for your QB to diagnose the coverage. If you have no run game, what's to stop a defense going Dime defense on you and basically rush four and drop 7? A good run game calms those weird pass defense down and forces them to play balanced base defense that gives your QB easier QB reads. No more nose tackles dropping into coverage, and don't disregard athletic Nose Tackles in coverage. This is the NFL where Nose Tackles can run and drop into coverage and intercept passes too (Michael Carter for example). My nightmare is the blind side CB blitz on your franchise QB. While the QB is looking right, the Left CB is blitzing the QB and nails the QB as he's throwing and chops the QB's arms causing a labruim tear and falls on the QB and causes broken ribs (if not worse). With a strong run game, defenses go more towards read and react and containing type defenses which are eaiser to read in play action schemes.

Obviously, having both a strong run game and a great passing attack are valuable, but my contention is it's much easier to scheme a run game given a great pass attack than the other way around. You can spread the field in the WCO to create running lanes. But if they put eight guys in the box and dare you to pass...not much of a running game can exist unless you have Dallas' OL...and even then--probably not.

If the LCB blitzes you'd better hope you have a Gore blocking to help the QB or have a QB like JG who can get rid of the ball in the bat of an eye. An elite LT is not going to block both the DE and the CB.

Edit: forgot to add--the difference between OL play from Beathard to JG explains just how much a scheme and QB can impact the pass rush...more than spending hugh sums on the OL.

Excellent , dtg.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-offensive-lines-from-the-2017-nfl-season

20th best Oline with terrible QB's in Hoyer and Beathard under center for 11 games.

We would have been a top 10 unit with Garrapolo under center all 16.

Add a guard in free agency and a young tackle in the draft and we are set.
I would respectfully request a nice center in the draft as well. like from iowa
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Hey , OND, good points all. Yes, the OL does require chemistry...but also talent . With current Interior OL, Kilgore, Fsco, Laken, we don't have the talent to protect JG.
You are correct the OL has to learn to work together. That is why I like Norwell so much. He is an all pro, still young enough but a real foundation to build your interior OL on. We aren't throwing 5 new guys together out there, but will be throwing three together. And yes it will take time to get all 5 on the same page. But Joe S and Trenton are already broken in. That's another reason I also like Sitton PLUS Norwell, even at an inflated price for Norwell of $12 mil/yr...or worse. Sitton has experience and would help immensely. Then if NELSON happened to fall to us (remember CLEVE can screw up a hammer) and do anything nutty if possible. But most likely Norwell is gone and we go Landry, Roquan, etc. We DO have our CB(assuming Achilles is healthy). So #9 is a starter no matter who we take. But Nelson would be extra special and make that OL NFL dominant.

As for working new talent in slowly to the OL, OND...I would just point out that Kilgore, Fsco, Laken...have proven they cannot protect JG. Yes they looked better because Jimmy got the ball out quick, but he gitgo in game 1. If that all the OL can do...protect our passer, initially, fine by me. They can work on learning run blocking together slowly. But our die has been cast. We have our FR QB and protecting him has just become job #1. But come season, we better be prepared to protect our Franchise, #10. Only high quality new blood will do that.
let me ask you this, doc: would you expect a first year med student to be as knowledgeable and accomplished as a third year resident? which would you trust more to perform surgery?

Kilgore, Fusco and Tomlinson have already been through the initial learning stage of shanny's system. why start anew--all over again--with "new blood" that lacks any experience in the system?

putting three new guys out there to start would set the rebuild back a year--would put the o-line back to where it was last year at this time. seems like a waste, imho.

the o-line went through a very tough time in the first 9 games last year--but if they, like most athletes, learned more from their losses than their wins, then it is not surprising that they were much better at executing the offense--and protecting JG--than they were when Hoyer or CJ were running the show.

no doubt we need talent added to the team, but don't mistake patience in rebuilding the o-line for ignorance, panic, or bad coaching.
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Mar 12, 2018 at 12:24 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

49ers tried that in 1982. Look what it got them that year.

49ers tried that in 1982. Look what it got them that year.

Originally posted by cciowa:
I would respectfully request a nice center in the draft as well. like from iowa

He would be a good one.

I'd prefer a certain center from Ohio State after a trade up.
Andrew Norwell please.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Mar 12, 2018 at 6:36 PM ]
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Andrew Norwell please.

Looks like Bozeman will fall around the niner's 2nd round spot...#60 according to CBS. They have Ragnow, Daniels and Price all from 33 to 48. John and Kyle can move around if they really like one of these guys and I hope they do. Trade down in the first for a trade up in the second might be possible. Trade down to take a top edge rusher mid first and then a C in the second. Perhaps DE/OLB Davenport and a C like Daniels or Price.
Staley, Norwell, Kilgore, Garnett or laken, Trent is a really good starting point. Then draft a center and tackle and we're good
The idea that if we pay Norwell top $ means we can't pay Brown is false.

2018: $31.5M Unit Spend
Staley - $7.7M
Norwell - $14M
Kilgore - $5.4M
Garnett - $2.5M
Brown - $1.9M

2019: $38M Unit Spend
Staley - $7.7M or less if restructured (more up front $) or rookie salary
Norwell - $14M
Kilgore - $2.8M (rookie may take over)
Garnett - 5th year option or rookie
Brown - $8-11M (top 5 RT)

Top 10 offensive unit spends today is between $33M (Washington) - $48M (Eagles)
Share 49ersWebzone