LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 431 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jcs:
Because an OT is not going to take less than an OG on his own team and we already know his Agent is going to push for LT pay.

He'd have no choice. A FO would laugh their asses off if Brown's agent said, "Well, my RT wants more than your all-pro G."

FO: "That's not how it works. That's not how ANY of this works (grandma voice)."

About the only angle his agent could play is that he has the ability to play LT too.

You'll see when he signs.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 13, 2018 at 4:34 PM ]
We need to address the OT position either this draft or by next year's draft. I'm not too sure how Brown will end up. He's got one more year to prove his salary worth.
Originally posted by 951NINER:
We need to address the OT position either this draft or by next year's draft. I'm not too sure how Brown will end up. He's got one more year to prove his salary worth.

No question. A trade back from 9 would be nice to grab a T who can groom for a year behind Staley or start at G and slide out down the road. But it needs to be addressed this year given how long it takes to develop these young OL these days.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 951NINER:

No question. A trade back from 9 would be nice to grab a T who can groom for a year behind Staley or start at G and slide out down the road. But it needs to be addressed this year given how long it takes to develop these young OL these days.

CBS has four OTs listed at the end of the first round and three possibly the best, early second:

21 Wynn, Isaiah; Georgia
26 Brown, Orlando; Oklahoma
28 Miller, Colton; UCLA
30 Williams, Conor; Texas
and
36 McGlinchey, Mike; ND
37 Okorafor, Chukwuma
40 Crosby, Tyrel; Oregon

Shanahan would have his choice of OTs if he wanted to trade back. I don't see this happening but...would not make me sad if it did.

Perhaps my favorite would be trading back for Crosby or Okorafor in the second and an edge in the first.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Mar 13, 2018 at 6:42 PM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
We definitely need to draft some rookies that have starting potential. Those numbers have to stay low. I do wonder if we got Norwell, would we still have signed Richburg?

We'll have to see his contract but no doubt we could have afforded both if we wanted. Easily.

We definitely have the money. Just doubt we wanted to set that precedent.
Originally posted by jcs:
Because an OT is not going to take less than an OG on his own team and we already know his Agent is going to push for LT pay.

He'd have no choice. A FO would laugh their asses off if Brown's agent said, "Well, my RT wants more than your all-pro G."

FO: "That's not how it works. That's not how ANY of this works (grandma voice)."

About the only angle his agent could play is that he has the ability to play LT too.

You'll see when he signs.

It doesn't matter in the team economics it's about market value and what Brown believes he'd get on the open market.

Yes, it does work like that, the tackle market got reset after Osemele got paid tackle money for a guard. After that, tackles saw a jump.

Now, after Norwell there's no way a LT is gonna get paid less than a guard. If Brown believes he'd get picked up as a LT (which he would) he's not signing for less than LT money. Otherwise he leaves and gets paid a kings ransom from someone else.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
It doesn't matter in the team economics it's about market value and what Brown believes he'd get on the open market.

Yes, it does work like that, the tackle market got reset after Osemele got paid tackle money for a guard. After that, tackles saw a jump.

Now, after Norwell there's no way a LT is gonna get paid less than a guard. If Brown believes he'd get picked up as a LT (which he would) he's not signing for less than LT money. Otherwise he leaves and gets paid a kings ransom from someone else.

Trenton Brown is not going to reset the RT market with LT or premier G money though.

And at the end of the day, it's about unit spend. How you allocate varies. Some pay big for T's, cheap inside. Some, big on C and G, go cheap and young at T. It just depends.

Eagles spent the most at $48M. After Richburg, we're barely climbing into average and we've seen the results over the years. You get what you pay for when it comes to the OL.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 13, 2018 at 7:11 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I don't know if we can say that, particularly if he bounces back big from this injury. We're seeing 3rd string WRs get paid what we've known as starter money. I guess that I'm saying the trend is that OT get paid more than OG, regardless of the team just like QBs typically get paid more than most other positions on the team. Are there exceptions? Absolutely but I can't see OT taking less money if he bounces back big, plays well, refuses to negotiate for anything less than top OT money, especially with the public endorsements he's received from folks like Miller and even KS himself. I'm just comparing what I'm seeing today with the most average and unproven players getting HUGE amounts of money.

If he bounces back, and I hope he does, we'll pay him top 3-5 RT money. The RT market sets that limit (not a G we signed). So right now, that's anywhere between $7.5M-$11.25M and so far, nobody in this FA market for RT has pushed it up any higher like we're seeing in the current CB and WR market.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 13, 2018 at 8:51 PM ]
I would be working to extend Trent brown right now.
Originally posted by bzborow1:

Good man Bzb. Much as I like Trent, i wouldn't mind waiting until I saw how his rehab went say TC or PS. If as we expect, that would at least give us a peek as to how he is going to turn out. But that is all i am worried about. This bs about not being all in for the 9ers, for the game....that is just trash. A labrum tear is real, generally do well, but no harm in waiting til he is closer to ready. But it isn't going to change his pass pro blocking, his extra special hand work, nor his agility especially for a guy 350. Those who have stated he doesn't have the heart and so on are just guys who know nothing and don't like Trent because he is overweight or something like that. Trent's a stud, but let's let him rehab and THEN SIGN HIIM.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Mar 13, 2018 at 8:57 PM ]

Let's see how his weight is and 8 games into the season and then start working on that extension.
Yes... but just be a bit more expensive that way. If ok in TC and PS, i 'd be comfortable with that.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Mar 13, 2018 at 9:46 PM ]
Extend him now and make sure to leave us a way to get out of it in 2 years of we need to. He could get a lot more expensive if he stays healthy.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ernst82:
Extend him now and make sure to leave us a way to get out of it in 2 years of we need to. He could get a lot more expensive if he stays healthy.

Listening to KNBR today and they made a point that KS has shown he's not afraid to extend guys he likes quickly. It's why Williams received a new deal weeks after signing him or Goodwin this year to the proposed raise for Staley. The odd thing I find is there is no mention anywhere on the web about extending Brown as he goes into the season on the last year of his rookie deal.

Makes me wonder if he's part of KS's plans for the future.
[ Edited by jcs on Mar 13, 2018 at 11:32 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Let's see how his weight is and 8 games into the season and then start working on that extension.

Share 49ersWebzone