LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
LOL, I initially read this as Boone being moved to ILB. Yeah I agree that he's done well as a fill-in at T, but that he'd struggle at LT as a starter. He does a good job of using his reach and long strides to overcome his slow foot speed, but he also has the advantage of not being studied all week by the guy he's working against, since they're always planning for Staley. I think he'll make his money as a tackle in this league, but he's better suited to the right side, unless the team he goes to has a very good LG and/or system that provides help from RB/TE/HB, and lots of playaction.

Boone to ILB? Let's go for it! LOL!

I agree with your take on this and also believe the OL could have been greatly helped by better playcalling and a better option out of the backfield...more screens and short passes to backs.

It's also likely that Gore and Kaepernick were not the best fit. Gore does best getting many carries and not moving out of the backfield. Hunter might be a better fit and Bush as well. Not sure about Hyde but I think he may be a better fit. Teams stacked the box because the two biggest threats of the SF offense were Gore running within the tackles or Kaepernick running. Pinch down on those two options and a high percentage of the niner game plan is unended. But the OL was built for Gore's king of running and the playbook seemed suited to that as well.

They tried to include a spread once in a while but that's hard for the line and receivers if it's only an occasional option...easier going from a zone scheme for this, so I may be very happy next year. Would still like them to draft a 220 pounder for tough yards.

Staley/M Martin/Kilgore/Thomas/Davis next year would be a nice line...with Looney and Pears as the first off the bench (Fonoti, Tiller, C Martin and a rookie fighting for roster spots). Maybe Indy would like to trade for Boone?
In retrospect, you read dtg's post, and you wonder, "what in the world were romn and harbaw thinking.?". This is exactly what all 31 teams knew, how they defensed us and makes one wonder, "just exactly how did we manage to win 8 games with this kind of O mentality?" Incredible, just incredible. And still....there are those who pine for the guy who got us out of the dumps. I can actually understand that, but I can't understand why harbaw-"hangers on" don't see why he had to go, and why his O thinking was no longer of use to us. It remains a mystery, however, why harbaw was so unwilling to part with roman, when the entire NFL knew our O game plan...each and every week. Makes me sick to just think about it. Nice summary dtg, and good take on the non-fit for the O with kap and Gore. I never thot of it in that sense, but it sure as heck was there.

Whatever JT does, it sure better not look like anything we have done in the past. That is an O game plan that was known to all other 31 teams. The deal about SEA calling out the plays before kap got thru his count was just ugly.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
In retrospect, you read dtg's post, and you wonder, "what in the world were romn and harbaw thinking.?". This is exactly what all 31 teams knew, how they defensed us and makes one wonder, "just exactly how did we manage to win 8 games with this kind of O mentality?" Incredible, just incredible. And still....there are those who pine for the guy who got us out of the dumps. I can actually understand that, but I can't understand why harbaw-"hangers on" don't see why he had to go, and why his O thinking was no longer of use to us. It remains a mystery, however, why harbaw was so unwilling to part with roman, when the entire NFL knew our O game plan...each and every week. Makes me sick to just think about it. Nice summary dtg, and good take on the non-fit for the O with kap and Gore. I never thot of it in that sense, but it sure as heck was there.

Whatever JT does, it sure better not look like anything we have done in the past. That is an O game plan that was known to all other 31 teams. The deal about SEA calling out the plays before kap got thru his count was just ugly.

Thanks Pasodoc!
Just being healthy and having full off-seasons help.

The 49ers' should have ponied up and paid Alex Boone before it got to the point of him having to hold out. He should have been extended before, and in the rough and tumble NFL, you cannot be mad at Alex Boone for doing what was in his and his families best long term interest. He was damn good the 2 years before, and he was good once he got into a groove last year at around mid season.

Agree with the other posters, Iupati is a horrible pass protector. I cannot figure out how he doesn't get called out for this more often by the media.

It also helps when your OC isn't dialing up ALL vertical routes without an underneath to slow WR's....

Yes, it's Harbaugh's fault that the front office didn't want to pay Boone, causing a hold out and our OL Was decimated by injuries.

It's also Harbaugh's fault that Vernon Davis and Michael Crabtree were playing injured the whole season and weren't able to do the things they normally do.

Then nevermind the fact that we were able to field a Top 5 D while missing Bowman, Brock, Willis and Aldon for basically the whole year, save for a few games.

We were 3 plays (vs CHI, vs STL, vs SD) from being 11-5 and in the playoffs.... after being hit HARD by the injury bug.

No biggie though, great coaches grow on trees, if you don't win the Super Bowl immediately after being a laughingstock for a decade, just fire the guy whose made you a contender and the next guy will win it.

Just ask Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Chicago, Minnesota, Washington, Oakland, Buffalo and Cleveland how easy that has been.
Originally posted by LowerTheBoom:

Yes, it's Harbaugh's fault that the front office didn't want to pay Boone, causing a hold out and our OL Was decimated by injuries.

It's also Harbaugh's fault that Vernon Davis and Michael Crabtree were playing injured the whole season and weren't able to do the things they normally do.

Then nevermind the fact that we were able to field a Top 5 D while missing Bowman, Brock, Willis and Aldon for basically the whole year, save for a few games.

We were 3 plays (vs CHI, vs STL, vs SD) from being 11-5 and in the playoffs.... after being hit HARD by the injury bug.

No biggie though, great coaches grow on trees, if you don't win the Super Bowl immediately after being a laughingstock for a decade, just fire the guy whose made you a contender and the next guy will win it.

Just ask Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Chicago, Minnesota, Washington, Oakland, Buffalo and Cleveland how easy that has been.

So any time a player wants the team to tear up their contract and pay them more...the team is obligated to do so? That would be an interesting situation. After all...there's no cap and the Yorks are as rich as the guy from Seattle.
Just being healthy and having full off-seasons help.

The 49ers' should have ponied up and paid Alex Boone before it got to the point of him having to hold out. He should have been extended before, and in the rough and tumble NFL, you cannot be mad at Alex Boone for doing what was in his and his families best long term interest. He was damn good the 2 years before, and he was good once he got into a groove last year at around mid season.

Agree with the other posters, Iupati is a horrible pass protector. I cannot figure out how he doesn't get called out for this more often by the media.

It also helps when your OC isn't dialing up ALL vertical routes without an underneath to slow WR's....

Can't agree with you here. He took the long-term stability that his extension afforded him, knowing that he could have risked that stability for a chance at a bigger contract by playing out his last contract year. Instead, he wanted the stability, AND the max contract. I call BS on that, and I absolutely resent his entitlement.
Can't agree with you here. He took the long-term stability that his extension afforded him, knowing that he could have risked that stability for a chance at a bigger contract by playing out his last contract year. Instead, he wanted the stability, AND the max contract. I call BS on that, and I absolutely resent his entitlement.

Agreed. I don't see an issue with Boone seeking an extenstion and I believe the 49ers were looking into an extension with Boone. But Boone was under contract and he should have still reported to the team and played while an extension was negotiated.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
So any time a player wants the team to tear up their contract and pay them more...the team is obligated to do so? That would be an interesting situation. After all...there's no cap and the Yorks are as rich as the guy from Seattle.

Considering that teams "tear up contracts" for no good reason at all, sometimes it's as simple as they never intended to pay the back years... I don't feel sorry for teams that get taken hostage like that.

Boone clearly went above and beyond and outplayed his contract.

Legally, the team is not obligated to do anything... just like Boone was not obligated to play at that rate. Boone had the upper hand, and he did what was right for protect himself and his family.... just like the 49ers would have done what was right for the 49ers if they signed him to a contract that he didn't live up to.

If the NFL was a fair world where EVERYONE - players and TEAMS - were forced to honor contracts, I would agree with you 100%.

It's not. It's a business, and the contractual rules are designed to protect the owners that make billions-- not the guys that are putting in torturous physical labor that will put major stress on their and their familes quality of life later on.

There is no such thing as "stability" in an NFL contract. They could have cut him after that first year if they felt like it and probably wouldn't have taken much of a cap hit, if any.

I don't buy unilateral contracts, and that's what NFL contracts are.

**Either way, regardless.... my point still stands. Boone missing time had absolutely nothing to do with Harbaugh, yet it had a major effect on our OL and ultimately the teams performance.

Originally posted by Central_Valley_49er:
Agreed. I don't see an issue with Boone seeking an extenstion and I believe the 49ers were looking into an extension with Boone. But Boone was under contract and he should have still reported to the team and played while an extension was negotiated.

We don't know what exactly Boone was offered. He could have gotten totally low-balled for all we know, which is likely what happened. He was coming off an excellent season, and with his age, his stock would never be any higher. It could have likely been his ONLY chance to make sure his family is financially set for life.

Some folks can't seem to separate football decisions with your duties as a man, businessman, father and husband. And personally, as long as the individual isn't stealing or doing anything malicious in the process, I don't think it's a fans business to speak on another man's career, worth and earning potential.

I get that hold outs and such are bad for teams success which is bad for fans... but to take it personally and attack a guys character for it is absurd.

And in retrospect, for Boone... he is smart for doing so. Look at how the York's and Baalke did Harbaugh, you think they wouldn't cut him and rip up his contract and take away his income the second it wasn't worth it for them?

Not gonna take the side of billionaire owners... especially ones that have publicly stated they are bigger fans of other sports.

If the NFL was a fair world where EVERYONE - players and TEAMS - were forced to honor contracts, I would agree with you 100%.

It's not. It's a business, and the contractual rules are designed to protect the owners that make billions-- not the guys that are putting in torturous physical labor that will put major stress on their and their familes quality of life later on.

There is no such thing as "stability" in an NFL contract. They could have cut him after that first year if they felt like it and probably wouldn't have taken much of a cap hit, if any.

I don't buy unilateral contracts, and that's what NFL contracts are.

**Either way, regardless.... my point still stands. Boone missing time had absolutely nothing to do with Harbaugh, yet it had a major effect on our OL and ultimately the teams performance.

Players know going in that only the guaranteed money counts. If they don't know that, they hired a stupid or crooked agent. If you don't like the contract, don't sign it. if you are worth more, you'll make more. Teams don't go around extending guys with 2 years left on their deals for fun; they do it knowing that the added financial security the player gets early is worth a some substantial savings that the team receives. Boone got all of that security, and he still wanted the maximum salary he would have received as a free agent. I can't respect entitlement like that. It's like what works for everyone else shouldn't work for him because he's "special." Crap like that is exactly why our population is overflowing with a$$holes.
[ Edited by WRATHman44 on Mar 29, 2015 at 7:35 PM ]
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
What does the team need to do in order for our O-Line to become better in pass protection?

I think they took one step today by releasing J.Martin.

Stay healthy
Considering that teams "tear up contracts" for no good reason at all, sometimes it's as simple as they never intended to pay the back years... I don't feel sorry for teams that get taken hostage like that.

Boone clearly went above and beyond and outplayed his contract.

Legally, the team is not obligated to do anything... just like Boone was not obligated to play at that rate. Boone had the upper hand, and he did what was right for protect himself and his family.... just like the 49ers would have done what was right for the 49ers if they signed him to a contract that he didn't live up to.

You feel sorry for a guy who drank his way into being undrafted and now want to team to say, "Hey, why don't we pay you like a LT even though you are playing RG."

Legally, Boone is not obligated to play for the niners. He can work at Burger King or Taco Bell. It you think the contract situation in the NFL is unfair then explain that and tell me what contracts should be upheld and which ones should be torn up.

As far as the team not being obligated to do anything...BS. They are obligated to pay the gauranteed money unless Boone violates it in some way and gives the team an out. You evidently feel that teams should be obligated to keep and pay players whether the contract says so or not. So the 9ers should still be paying Coffee years after he decided to retire. Borland should be paid the three years left on his contract?

Seems like you have joined up to blow smoke.
Draft OL with first 2 picks.....unless there is a shutdown corner available. Our number one need is OL, then CB, then ILB.

Don't argue, just say yes.
[ Edited by tondiman on Mar 29, 2015 at 9:58 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone