There are 136 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Boone is fine at guard, he just needs to come ready to camp. But at tackle he has been damn good when he has replaced Staley at times. He's so damn valuable to the team. Our pass protection should improve with the return of Kilgore and the departure of Iupati.
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:
Boone is fine at guard, he just needs to come ready to camp. But at tackle he has been damn good when he has replaced Staley at times. He's so damn valuable to the team. Our pass protection should improve with the return of Kilgore and the departure of Iupati.

Boone sucked at G last year....
Yes, a lot of guys on the OL sucked last year. He just wasn't on his game from the start. Boone was GREAT in 2012 and damn good in 2013. He needs to get back to the 2012/2013 level next year.
I agree, they signed him for a reason
  • Kuya
  • Veteran
i really hope our O Line doesn't s*it the bed this year.

We need to give Kaep all the help possible. Him having another bad year is gonna set our franchise back even more.
A.Boone will get traded for a draft pick this year. Book it!

Starting lineup:
Staley/Thomas/Kilgore/MMartin/Davis

Backups:
Pears (Swing Tackle)
Looney/Rookie (G)
Farrell/Rookie (C)
Probably move MMartin to C if something happens to Kilgore and Looney to RG before Farrell/Rookie.
[ Edited by 808niner4lyphe on Apr 2, 2015 at 3:27 AM ]
I personally would move Boone to LT and move Staley to RT and move AD #76 to RG and have MMartin/B Thomas and Looney/Draft pick fight it out for LG and hopefully Kilgore was healthy to go at center.
Boone started out the season as a poor guard and the last part of the season I believe he was a top 3 guard per PFF. He kicks ass as a guard and is a very good tackle
Clubs that hired a new coach after the 2014 season can begin practices April 6th. All other teams begin practices April 20th. This added schedule will give the team more time to see how players have healed and progressed this past offseason. If the 49ers draft an O-Lineman with their first pick we'll know they are not satisfied with the current group.
Originally posted by elguapo:
Boone started out the season as a poor guard and the last part of the season I believe he was a top 3 guard per PFF. He kicks ass as a guard and is a very good tackle

He actually wasn't that good in 2013. Look again. He was a beast in 2012, though.

To support what many of you have already explained. Quite the dropoff.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Before injury Kilgore was the most consistent outta the group.

J-M big bad poo pants was the most consistently bad player ever!! is what you meant right? I don't think consistency belongs in the same sentence as the Niners O Line last year....
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
A.Boone will get traded for a draft pick this year. Book it!

Starting lineup:
Staley/Thomas/Kilgore/MMartin/Davis

Backups:
Pears (Swing Tackle)
Looney/Rookie (G)
Farrell/Rookie (C)
Probably move MMartin to C if something happens to Kilgore and Looney to RG before Farrell/Rookie.

Nonsense!

Just like last year when people were saying how MMartin was going to knock Kilgore right out of the position.

This x 1000

AND as of right now there isn't anyone on the team that can come in and play at a high level in both tackle positions if the need arises.

He was a beast in the running game, a liability in pass protection. The problem with PFF is they weight their ratings heavily toward the run game. Iupati was rated toward the top in run but around 25th in pass protection. When they came up with an overall rating it was top ten. Boone was likely impacted by the absense of Davis, but I don't see him as consistent enough to rate a top OG.
Share 49ersWebzone