There are 142 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Originally posted by Constantine:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I actually think we're pretty well set at the interior line positions. I question Boone's foot speed and lateral agility, and he REALLY struggles to maintain his pad level when he has to move laterally, as is required during a zone run. I think he's ideal in the swing tackle role, at least for the year (I think he gets paid by someone else in 2016). I think Kilgore, Thomas, MMartin are our best bets at the interior line positions, and I'd actually put Thomas at RG to help Davis in pass pro, and to take the majority of the snaps agains a 3-tech. I will be surprised if this happens, though, since Boone is making A LOT more money than MMartin or Thomas. If Boone really does get benched, he could be a decent backup for both G and T positions, but a mid-round backup interior lineman wouldn't be a terrible idea.


Never thoight about Boone as a OT, but Center would be perfect for him if we become a WCO type agian

Boone started out as an OT for a few years. I don't think I'd want him at C. I have terrible images of him accidentally tripping Kap and his 6'8" height resulting in him taking several passes to the back of the head.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Boone started out as an OT for a few years. I don't think I'd want him at C. I have terrible images of him accidentally tripping Kap and his 6'8" height resulting in him taking several passes to the back of the head.

Lol
Boone is fine at guard, he just needs to come ready to camp. But at tackle he has been damn good when he has replaced Staley at times. He's so damn valuable to the team. Our pass protection should improve with the return of Kilgore and the departure of Iupati.
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:
Boone is fine at guard, he just needs to come ready to camp. But at tackle he has been damn good when he has replaced Staley at times. He's so damn valuable to the team. Our pass protection should improve with the return of Kilgore and the departure of Iupati.

Boone sucked at G last year....
Yes, a lot of guys on the OL sucked last year. He just wasn't on his game from the start. Boone was GREAT in 2012 and damn good in 2013. He needs to get back to the 2012/2013 level next year.
I agree, they signed him for a reason
  • Kuya
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 454
i really hope our O Line doesn't s*it the bed this year.

We need to give Kaep all the help possible. Him having another bad year is gonna set our franchise back even more.
A.Boone will get traded for a draft pick this year. Book it!

Starting lineup:
Staley/Thomas/Kilgore/MMartin/Davis

Backups:
Pears (Swing Tackle)
Looney/Rookie (G)
Farrell/Rookie (C)
Probably move MMartin to C if something happens to Kilgore and Looney to RG before Farrell/Rookie.
[ Edited by 808niner4lyphe on Apr 2, 2015 at 3:27 AM ]
I personally would move Boone to LT and move Staley to RT and move AD #76 to RG and have MMartin/B Thomas and Looney/Draft pick fight it out for LG and hopefully Kilgore was healthy to go at center.
Boone started out the season as a poor guard and the last part of the season I believe he was a top 3 guard per PFF. He kicks ass as a guard and is a very good tackle

Clubs that hired a new coach after the 2014 season can begin practices April 6th. All other teams begin practices April 20th. This added schedule will give the team more time to see how players have healed and progressed this past offseason. If the 49ers draft an O-Lineman with their first pick we'll know they are not satisfied with the current group.
Originally posted by elguapo:
Boone started out the season as a poor guard and the last part of the season I believe he was a top 3 guard per PFF. He kicks ass as a guard and is a very good tackle

He actually wasn't that good in 2013. Look again. He was a beast in 2012, though.

To support what many of you have already explained. Quite the dropoff.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Before injury Kilgore was the most consistent outta the group.


J-M big bad poo pants was the most consistently bad player ever!! is what you meant right? I don't think consistency belongs in the same sentence as the Niners O Line last year....
Originally posted by OldJoe:

To support what many of you have already explained. Quite the dropoff.

Yep. League adjustment and the most dramatic loss, Drevno.
Share 49erswebzone