There are 135 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by scooterhd:
Garret Boles may be the next Trent in terms of players that fall into our lap. Last year of his deal, age 32. I think he and the Broncos would mutually agree to split ways. Might be had for some comp picks at the deadline.

Bolles would be an upgrade but not the answer. Probably biased from living in Denver and watching him be a sub par walking penalty for years before finally turning it around in a contract year when the Bronco's declined to pick up the 5th year option. He went from the chopping block to pro bowler and it's all just weird.. like if Mike McGlinchey all of a sudden became a top 5 pass blocking anchor, it would raise a question mark on how the F did he pull that off.

If he had been drafted by the niners, fans would of wanted him benched and cut after year 2 along with the standard fire shanalynch chatter, now he's a top tackle. Another lesson of letting players develop for 3 years... even though he didnt pop till his 4th.
[ Edited by TheRickestRick on May 6, 2024 at 6:07 PM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by Giedi:
So the front page article Barrows indicates they've now cornered themselves into drafting/signing any tackle next season?

If ShanaLynch is as desperate for a left tackle as they were for an elite QB in 2021, they will spend the draft capital or cap space for another Trent Williams 2.0 next year.

The problem is he and that deal was a gift in hindsight. That wont happen again.

I think the poster was referencing trading up into the top 10 for an elite tackle rather than planning on us being gifted a Hall of Fame tackle for day 2 and 3 picks (which happened in 2020).

Honestly, I don't think it's a necessity to get a tackle that dominant. Just get 7 deep with starting caliber guys who can be average or better. Pretty tall task given how short the league is on OL talent, but I'd rather that then using so many picks on a player other than a QB where it's no guarantee they work out.

I agree, we just know whoever we get will be a drop off from Trent.
49ers have averaged picking one all-pro player every year since 2017, except for the 2023 and the 2024 draft. Not saying they are going to pick an all pro left tackle next year, but I am saying they do have a 1 in 7 shot at picking an all-pro left tackle next year(if they don't sign one in free agency before that).

I cant see them trading up high unless they have zero choice, but they also don't have a great track record at o line.

I like what lifelong said as I feel its realistic in todays game and with this regime. This is why I wanted to upgrade as much as possible this year with JPJ etc knowing the next 2-3 years will see a major o-line overhaul regardless, but Kyle and John don't prioritize o line.
Originally posted by bassmanr:
Thank you...Yes in the pick Brock threw both McKivitz and Feliciano were pushed back into Brock. I'm in the 2nd Qtr now and have not seen any holes for McCaffrey other than his touchdown. Brock was getting pounded on almost every pass play from the right. The Packers game as well. Brock is a shorter QB and if the D lines get so much push into the backfield he throws high. The rain was the issue in the Packers game but the Lions game it was the D line in the back field.
True it's insane that they don't prioritize OL.
Brock usually only has about 2 sec before he gets hit. If he had 3 sec it would be good!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I cant see them trading up high unless they have zero choice, but they also don't have a great track record at o line.

I like what lifelong said as I feel its realistic in todays game and with this regime. This is why I wanted to upgrade as much as possible this year with JPJ etc knowing the next 2-3 years will see a major o-line overhaul regardless, but Kyle and John don't prioritize o line.

I think the Foerster era was a lot better than the Benton era. I'm impressed with Foerster finding guys like Feliciano to plug in at guard. He's done well developing Banks, Brendel, and Mckivitz. He developed them well enough to get us to the championship. His O-lines held up better against Chris Jones than Bentons did.

Kyle's offense doesn't need the Great Wall of Dallas, but with Purdy, he does need a good strong interior to give Brock the pocket space he needs to throw those timing/anticipation routes.

They have spent cap space on Staley and Trent Williams, and high draft capital on McGlinchy. I'm reasonably confident that once Trent retires they will spend a ton of both on his replacement. In the meantime, I'm just happy they gave some quality players for Foerster to develop in this year's draft, instead of Compton/Brunskill journeyman level talent.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Originally posted by bassmanr:
Thank you...Yes in the pick Brock threw both McKivitz and Feliciano were pushed back into Brock. I'm in the 2nd Qtr now and have not seen any holes for McCaffrey other than his touchdown. Brock was getting pounded on almost every pass play from the right. The Packers game as well. Brock is a shorter QB and if the D lines get so much push into the backfield he throws high. The rain was the issue in the Packers game but the Lions game it was the D line in the back field.
True it's insane that they don't prioritize OL.
Brock usually only has about 2 sec before he gets hit. If he had 3 sec it would be good!

They prioritize the OTs though. McGlinchy, Staley and Trent Williams all have been high draft picks and absorbing huge Cap space. If anything, in the past they have skimped on the interior O-Line positions.

That has to change due to Brock needing as clean a pocket as possible to throw timing/anticipation routes from.
Garret Boles may be the next Trent in terms of players that fall into our lap. Last year of his deal, age 32. I think he and the Broncos would mutually agree to split ways. Might be had for some comp picks at the deadline.

adding to my things that have never been said before file
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

adding to my things that have never been said before file

Of course you are not going to read the entire statement. Bolles has never had a PFF below 72. He is consistently a top 25 tackle. Former first round pick that ran a 4.95 forty and 7.29 3 cone. He has the elite movement skills that KS covets. Would be a fantastic RT, possibly for a steal if the Broncos are tanking. Boles is everything you are hoping that Roger Rosengarten would be.

I honestly thought he could be a target when I saw that all I've done is lose comment. Might even be able to get a bit of a discount. Trade for Boles, but still draft a 1st round tackle or move up if necessary. I hope these picks from 2022 (Womack), 2023 (Winters, Latu, Graham, Wilkia, Brown, Luter, Beal, and Bell), and 2024 come on strong so we it can be easier to let go some of our guys commanding bigger deals. Plus it will also mean we won't need all our picks and can feel safe packaging a 1 and a day 2 + day 3 pick to move up.

I think the Foerster era was a lot better than the Benton era. I'm impressed with Foerster finding guys like Feliciano to plug in at guard. He's done well developing Banks, Brendel, and Mckivitz. He developed them well enough to get us to the championship. His O-lines held up better against Chris Jones than Bentons did.

Kyle's offense doesn't need the Great Wall of Dallas, but with Purdy, he does need a good strong interior to give Brock the pocket space he needs to throw those timing/anticipation routes.

They have spent cap space on Staley and Trent Williams, and high draft capital on McGlinchy. I'm reasonably confident that once Trent retires they will spend a ton of both on his replacement. In the meantime, I'm just happy they gave some quality players for Foerster to develop in this year's draft, instead of Compton/Brunskill journeyman level talent.

I don't disagree and would like a stronger interior, but if Mckivitz doesn't improve and Trent gets hurt it won't be pretty.
minus whale send a TC invite to that 17 year old Sumo Wrestler that went head to head with Micah Parsons

Not that PFF is all that great at understanding blocking concepts but how did Banks get such a low grade. Him and Williams made that left side solid all year long. Are they throwing center miscues on the LG? That left side was great last year, the right side however is where everything broke down.
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:
Not that PFF is all that great at understanding blocking concepts but how did Banks get such a low grade. Him and Williams made that left side solid all year long. Are they throwing center miscues on the LG? That left side was great last year, the right side however is where everything broke down.
Personally I think Banks is one of the players where fans and people on the outside have the biggest diff of opinions on.

I see a lot of our fans like Banks a lot, and my assessment of him is closer to PFFs. We've seen Feliciano play LG and although it was a brief stint, he's looked better than Banks. I think Banks benefits a lot from Trent on the left side. Most fans put him as second best olineman but I think if we count Feleciano he might not be top three.

I don't think they are re-signing Banks to a next contract either.
Hope Brandon Parker can stay healthy and help. He played decent a few years ago. Hope Foerster can get something out of him.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I don't disagree and would like a stronger interior, but if Mckivitz doesn't improve and Trent gets hurt it won't be pretty.

To me, I think there is room for improvement with Mckivitz. He's still pretty young, and it was his first year playing right OT. He can get stronger, and he held up OK in the Superbowl.

You got to assume Trent will miss a couple of games a year due to his age. So I like the versatility of the new guys to compete with Jaylen Moore for left tackle.

Prior to the 2024 draft, Aside from McGlinchy and Banks, the rest of the OLine drafted were day 3 picks. Puni is the first Day 2 pick since Banks. I think this is an important infusion of OLine talent. Last year they didn't even draft any OLineman. If Trent Williams stays relatively healthy - I think this is the best OLine squad they've had in the whole ShanaLynch era.
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:
Personally I think Banks is one of the players where fans and people on the outside have the biggest diff of opinions on.

I see a lot of our fans like Banks a lot, and my assessment of him is closer to PFFs. We've seen Feliciano play LG and although it was a brief stint, he's looked better than Banks. I think Banks benefits a lot from Trent on the left side. Most fans put him as second best olineman but I think if we count Feleciano he might not be top three.

I don't think they are re-signing Banks to a next contract either.

I think anyone playing next to Trent benefits.

Tomlinson benefited big time - enough to get a better contract when he left. He wasn't so good w/the Jets.

Hopefully we can get a cap casualty or grab someone on another team's practice squad to improve the OLine.
Share 49ersWebzone