49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by pillageDatazz:
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
I was always a fan of JH. My biggest issue with him was not getting rid of Roman's bum ass.

See I think Roman did a pretty good job. He's not Kyle Shanahan but still a quality OC.

We'll get a better judgement on him now that he actually has a premier player at the key position. Getting to championships with guys like Alex, and a raw Kaepernick, is pretty impressive stuff. Of course they had the talent drenched defense as the better unit but our offense was pretty efficient, especially in 12 and 13. Our offense in 12 was better than our defense down the stretch and through the playoffs, which is pretty wild. Aging Randy Moss, aging Frank Gore, a decent complimentary mix of receivers and a good TE. Not exactly murderer's row of superstars.

Imo, Roman is one of the worst OCs in football. If you want to be a running team, that's fine, he's good for that. But if you want to be able to have a good passing game too, no chance.

During the two playoff games, ,defense / run game carried first game, Alex played well during the Saints game.

The two Kap seasons, Kap was a unicorn especially that first season. The 2nd season still good, but not great anymore. 3rd season was a disaster and killed all the momentum Kap had, especially when they wanted him to be more of a pocket QB, and there was no chance that was going to happen with Roman.

After that got fired after 1 year in Buffalo. Had a good running offense with the Ravens, but they realized pretty soon that Lamar is never going to develop into a good passer with Roman.

He should be a run game coordinator at best.

This is a dark tunnel to go down but I'm with Gore on this one. Roman blew. Smart dude, biggest hodge podge playbook ever, but zero art to stringing plays together.

I'd like to see Harbaugh get Herbert/Chargers to a SB one day

But something tells me that hiring his old buddy as OC could turn him back into HarBoneHead. AGAIN!

I remember the days when it felt like Roman was sleeping up in the booth after downing 6 boxes of Twinkies by halftime

That's a very fair concern. LOL. It doesn't sound like Jim has learned a single thing from his first stint in the NFL. But good luck to him.

Sounds like Chiefs are running that division again. Agree that Roman provides a good run gameplan but his drop back game is pretty bad, not a good pairing for Justin Herbert IMO
Harbaugh is a good hc with solid philosophy (at least philosophy I agree with lol). He's no play caller and needs real coordinators. He knows a lot, but isn't a coordinator. I think Roman sucked and never really evolved with the roster. Harbaugh's antics coupled with that non evolution on offense cost him the job here.

Kyle is a very good hc and incredible play designer. However he has issues with game flow/situational stuff and he can drift with his offensive play calling from for time to time.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Harbaugh is a good hc with solid philosophy (at least philosophy I agree with lol). He's no play caller and needs real coordinators. He knows a lot, but isn't a coordinator. I think Roman sucked and never really evolved with the roster. Harbaugh's antics coupled with that non evolution on offense cost him the job here.

Kyle is a very good hc and incredible play designer. However he has issues with game flow/situational stuff and he can drift with his offensive play calling from for time to time.

Imagine the playsheet of Shanny with the stones of Harbaugh, that's why we need, Jyle Harbanahan
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Imagine the playsheet of Shanny with the stones of Harbaugh, that's why we need, Jyle Harbanahan

Don't think Harbaugh's as good a coach as Kyle, but it would have been nice to see Harbaugh with control of personnel, or at least a situation similar to what Kyle has with Lynch. That was his actual downfall here. Lost a power struggle with the GM and FO
As bad as I want us to draft Troy Fautanu and Kingsley Suamataia, our offensive line really isn't that bad when Feliciano was playing. Brendel and McKivitz can definitely be improved upon but are nothing short of reliable. McKivitz improved come playoff time and played clean, no false starts, holdings, or sacks but would get pushed into Purdy's lap occasionally.

A trade up for Troy Fautanu is an instant upgrade, just hoping he slips bc his height and G projection. Fautanu is a generational talent with cat like reflexes and haven't seen a OL move like him since Mike Iupati but is a different type of movement, smooth as butter and technique is sound. He had a rep where he avoided getting tripped up by the LG's leg that looked too good. I just don't see him getting passed Denver bc we all know Sean Payton needs good pass protection for his system.

Now realistically at 31 Kingsley Suamataia is the one with potential to be better than Troy Fautanu imo mainly bc of natural strength is superior but his movement isn't too far behind as he is pretty damn nimble. The fact that he's ambidextrous is a bonus. Shows flashes to where defenders would just give up on a pass set rep stone walling larger competition. Seen him running down field passed the second level and just hurdles around one of his team mates with ease. If he improves his awareness to switch on stunts etc and improve his technique he might end up being the best offensive lineman in the draft. The one big downside is a potential red shirt rookie year due to how raw he is but it's impressive to see a dude that large move the way he do.

For day 2 pick I think Roger Rosengarten is the guy, caught my attention while watching Troy Fautanu. Even though he was RT he protected Pennix's blindside and did it at a high level. I remember going to a Cal game with my sister vs Washington and thinking damn their Oline was just dominating Cal. Initially I thought Roger was just a measurables guy after the combine but the more film I watched on Troy the more impressed I became.

Kingsley could be an immediate RG future LT and Roger could be RT from the start. Then get our Center and Guards later in the draft as teams often find quality in those position day 3.

I think Kyle's play calling was distracted by managing the garbage put forth by Steve Wilks not just in the Superbowl but all season.

The stones of Harbaugh? The guy that didn't take a 15 yard penalty and automatic first down because it would take 3 points off the board?
Originally posted by 49erFaithfullest:

I think Kyle's play calling was distracted by managing the garbage put forth by Steve Wilks not just in the Superbowl but all season.

That's a good point I never thought of that. He seemed distracted in the 4th Qtr and OT. Was probably pissed at Wilkes and could not re focus.
[ Edited by bassmanr on Mar 28, 2024 at 7:25 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erFaithfullest:
As bad as I want us to draft Troy Fautanu and Kingsley Suamataia, our offensive line really isn't that bad when Feliciano was playing. Brendel and McKivitz can definitely be improved upon but are nothing short of reliable. McKivitz improved come playoff time and played clean, no false starts, holdings, or sacks but would get pushed into Purdy's lap occasionally.

A trade up for Troy Fautanu is an instant upgrade, just hoping he slips bc his height and G projection. Fautanu is a generational talent with cat like reflexes and haven't seen a OL move like him since Mike Iupati but is a different type of movement, smooth as butter and technique is sound. He had a rep where he avoided getting tripped up by the LG's leg that looked too good. I just don't see him getting passed Denver bc we all know Sean Payton needs good pass protection for his system.

Now realistically at 31 Kingsley Suamataia is the one with potential to be better than Troy Fautanu imo mainly bc of natural strength is superior but his movement isn't too far behind as he is pretty damn nimble. The fact that he's ambidextrous is a bonus. Shows flashes to where defenders would just give up on a pass set rep stone walling larger competition. Seen him running down field passed the second level and just hurdles around one of his team mates with ease. If he improves his awareness to switch on stunts etc and improve his technique he might end up being the best offensive lineman in the draft. The one big downside is a potential red shirt rookie year due to how raw he is but it's impressive to see a dude that large move the way he do.

For day 2 pick I think Roger Rosengarten is the guy, caught my attention while watching Troy Fautanu. Even though he was RT he protected Pennix's blindside and did it at a high level. I remember going to a Cal game with my sister vs Washington and thinking damn their Oline was just dominating Cal. Initially I thought Roger was just a measurables guy after the combine but the more film I watched on Troy the more impressed I became.

Kingsley could be an immediate RG future LT and Roger could be RT from the start. Then get our Center and Guards later in the draft as teams often find quality in those position day 3.

That's a really nice breakdown as it relates to our team needs. Well done!
I was always a fan of JH. My biggest issue with him was not getting rid of Roman's bum ass.

See I think Roman did a pretty good job. He's not Kyle Shanahan but still a quality OC.

We'll get a better judgement on him now that he actually has a premier player at the key position. Getting to championships with guys like Alex, and a raw Kaepernick, is pretty impressive stuff. Of course they had the talent drenched defense as the better unit but our offense was pretty efficient, especially in 12 and 13. Our offense in 12 was better than our defense down the stretch and through the playoffs, which is pretty wild. Aging Randy Moss, aging Frank Gore, a decent complimentary mix of receivers and a good TE. Not exactly murderer's row of superstars.

Imo, Roman is one of the worst OCs in football. If you want to be a running team, that's fine, he's good for that. But if you want to be able to have a good passing game too, no chance.

During the two playoff games, ,defense / run game carried first game, Alex played well during the Saints game.

The two Kap seasons, Kap was a unicorn especially that first season. The 2nd season still good, but not great anymore. 3rd season was a disaster and killed all the momentum Kap had, especially when they wanted him to be more of a pocket QB, and there was no chance that was going to happen with Roman.

After that got fired after 1 year in Buffalo. Had a good running offense with the Ravens, but they realized pretty soon that Lamar is never going to develop into a good passer with Roman.

This is a dark tunnel to go down but I'm with Gore on this one. Roman blew. Smart dude, biggest hodge podge playbook ever, but zero art to stringing plays together.

But something tells me that hiring his old buddy as OC could turn him back into HarBoneHead. AGAIN!

I remember the days when it felt like Roman was sleeping up in the booth after downing 6 boxes of Twinkies by halftime

That's a very fair concern. LOL. It doesn't sound like Jim has learned a single thing from his first stint in the NFL. But good luck to him.

Would really hate to see Herbert's talent go to waste, I'd love to at least see Harbs/Bolts take over that division in a couple of years

Would really hate to see Herbert's talent go to waste, I'd love to at least see Harbs/Bolts take over that division in a couple of years

It'll be interesting to see if Jim turns him into a glorified game manager or more. Given his early moves in FA, it already looks like he and Kyle will compete for the most rushing attempts every year.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 29, 2024 at 4:35 AM ]

It'll be interesting to see if Jim turns him into a glorified game manager or more. Given his early moves in FA, it already looks like he and Kyle will compete for the most rushing attempts every year.

I think its wise. Herbert hasn't looked all that good and a great running game will help. While it's more about committee these days, I see more coaches using the running game more again to bring QB's and o-line along. I also think because its become such a passing sport from HS on up you see almost every draft has significant WR talent in all rounds so odds are you can find decent production there without using a top pick etc.

At this point, I expect them to draft a tackle high. After that I am not sure, but you know where I stand.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

The stones of Harbaugh? The guy that didn't take a 15 yard penalty and automatic first down because it would take 3 points off the board?

Cliche over everything with this gang...lol.
It'll be interesting to see if Jim turns him into a glorified game manager or more.

If he gets to multiple SBs with him, he is only a glorified game manager. If he wins a SB he has turned him into more.
Because the titles we give them is the true barometer. I mean that is the consistent standard, right?
[ Edited by random49er on Mar 29, 2024 at 11:37 AM ]

I think its wise. Herbert hasn't looked all that good and a great running game will help. While it's more about committee these days, I see more coaches using the running game more again to bring QB's and o-line along. I also think because its become such a passing sport from HS on up you see almost every draft has significant WR talent in all rounds so odds are you can find decent production there without using a top pick etc.

At this point, I expect them to draft a tackle high. After that I am not sure, but you know where I stand.

It's going to be a fun one to watch for sure.
Share 49ersWebzone