There are 117 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by English:
With our QOTF starting next season I would assign the highest priority to the OL, even over the DB. It is not only protection for him, it frees up Kittle, the best player on the O, to have more of a role with catching and downfield blocking. I do not want to see Lance picking himself up off the ground after ever play as happened to Garoppolo so frequently.

1000% if Lance is starting next season in trying to help set him up for success. Well said.
A Center? What is the world coming to? High 1st rounder indeed.
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Telling you guys, cut ties with Mack and sign Tampa's center and let Bank show what hes got.

Mack and Jensen are mirror opposite players. Mack is a good pass blocker but just average run blocking. Jensen is a very good run blocker but below-average pass blocker. This past season, Mack was paid $4.9M. Jensen $10M. Mack was a much better value of the two.

No doubt we need to bring in Mack's replacement sooner rather than later. I just don't see Jensen being that guy. I would much rather go after Ben Jones from the Titans. He is better overall...and will cost as much or more than Jensen.

There is a very good plug-and-play center coming out of Iowa this year - Tyler Linderbaum. Unfortunately, he will be long gone before our 2nd round pick.

hes one of the best center prospects ever. He will likely go in top 15-top 20

Linderbaum = want. Would take with the Niners' 1st pick if the Niners somehow got a 1st for JG. Still not sure he'd be there as what you said, probably gone within the first 20 picks.
I have a bad feeling we are going to roll out Moore and Banks to hold down the right side.
[ Edited by lamontb on Feb 9, 2022 at 11:20 AM ]
Hate to say it but anything less than major resources being allocated to CB an OG this off-season will just set us up for playoff failure again. Wel stay just good enough to get into the playoffs but be totally penetrable in the middle of the OL leaving our QB a sitting duck to any smart/well coached good team we face late in the playoffs. AGAIN. That's been shown to be the shanalynch special, Ignore the position an pray for dear life you can get by long enough.

cost us 2 SBs now. Hopefully they've learned.
Originally posted by stefano89:
Hate to say it but anything less than major resources being allocated to CB an OG this off-season will just set us up for playoff failure again. Wel stay just good enough to get into the playoffs but be totally penetrable in the middle of the OL leaving our QB a sitting duck to any smart/well coached good team we face late in the playoffs. AGAIN. That's been shown to be the shanalynch special, Ignore the position an pray for dear life you can get by long enough.

Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by thl408:
Ok thanks, training camp. Has a player surgery ever been reported as not going well after it happened? They all seem to go well the day after the surgery. How they address, or not address, the RT position this offseason will give us a hint on how it really went.

Call me greedy but I'm not so thrilled with any of these guys starting: McGlinchey post injury, Moore, Banks, Brunskill, McKivitz, Brendel or Skule.

No issues with them backing up though.

Yeah maybe depth, but not a whole lot in terms of starters as we continue to build depth. This could all turn around but FA and draft will be indicators as thl said.

And I'm not saying 1 or more couldn't pan out either. I just don't want to "Banks" on it now with a rookie/young FQB.

Agreed and since we're talking about the foundation of our offense, having too many great players in this group is a problem I'd LOVE to see the team have.

Especially given how long it takes to develop them...very different from the DL.
  • dj43
With our QOTF starting next season I would assign the highest priority to the OL, even over the DB. It is not only protection for him, it frees up Kittle, the best player on the O, to have more of a role with catching and downfield blocking. I do not want to see Lance picking himself up off the ground after ever play as happened to Garoppolo so frequently.

Yes, by all means.

Kansas City rebuilt their entire line last year, beginning with making Center Creed Humphrey their 1st pick. All he did was make All-Pro!

It took a few games to get everyone playing together but when they did, they rolled. It can be done.
Re-sign Tomlinson...

That's all
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Call me greedy but I'm not so thrilled with any of these guys starting: McGlinchey post injury, Moore, Banks, Brunskill, McKivitz, Brendel or Skule.

No issues with them backing up though.

Banks came in with a rep for pass protection. His issue was injury and getting ready for this system. Moore also was just having adjustment issues. But not questions about ability in the same way none of us want Skule starting.

It seem with Banks they wanted someone who was a good pass protector (which is what you wanted) and are attempting to get him to play in this system (which is what you wanted them to do with Trent Brown years ago) as opposed to drafting O-lineman low who were fits and prioritizing run blocking (which is what you wanted them to stop doing). The way you talk, no Olineman will do short of an elite tackle and guard. Thats not happening on most teams. You are greedy. Its okay. Greed is good :)

Haha. Good one. You're right!

I did specify this and was mostly talking about Banks.

And I'm not saying 1 or more couldn't pan out either. I just don't want to "Banks" on it now with a rookie/young FQB.

The problem is these are all massive unknowns. I'd rather pay for a known product like Mack. I've just seen this hope/experiment too often and every year we end up with dudes like Skule, McKivitz, Compton, Brunskill (C & G), etc. not only starting but starting for significant snaps and it always catches up to us in the end.

Would it be so bad to pay Tomlinson and go get a FA RG as well? Draft a top C. Then you'd have a great competition at RT and depth and future players learning from a master like Mack while he's here.

Using that $10.8M on MM was a massive mistake then and even more so now.

You know, it's weird. I don't know where the bar is for right tackles. I know if Mike McGlinchey were healthy and a free agent, some team would overpay for him. Their beat writers would talk about the dominance of the 49ers run game, how he was a 4-year starter, top-10 pick, etc. He is a starter in the league, and somewhere in the middle in terms of being a right tackle. He performed better this year. With all of that said, I'd rather we had the 10 million freed up. Unfortunately this decision had to be made before they drafted Jaylon Moore or could do anything else to address the RT position (reasonably address it). My position now is we have two guys (hopefully) in front of Tom Compton next year, which is better than having one guy in front of Tom Compton lol.

I'd love to do the bolded, but I just don't see how. I'm sure you just don't want a guard, but a good guard. Good guards will cost. I can't see this team having two guards on a sizeable contract. Yeah, the team can play around with the structure of deals and take advantage of the fact that Deebo and Nick Bosa are in fact, already under contract for 2022, but we have to make deals for Tomlinson (no sense in weakening the left side), DJ Jones, Arden Key (fingers crossed), and a part of me feels like I'm missing some others. But I'd be open to bringing back Tartt (I changed my mind), Mostert (near or at vet minimum with incentives), and I'd have an offer ready for Jeff Wilson, but I'd let him test free agency first. I just don't see how it can be done.

My thought is based on reputation, we should have our solution at RG (Banks). At RT, it's MM, McKivitz, Moore, or Compton. I expect someone else to be in the mix, but I don't expect much, based on draft capital. Do quality rookie tackles get drafted in the 3rd round? What would help us IMMENSELY is if Jimmy gets us a first this year. If that happens, then so many options are available with our first four picks (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd). That opens the door WIDE for a day 1 starter at RT on a rookie deal and allows us to address corner, add a speedy edge rusher, and maybe add a speedy receiver and can return kicks and punts all before day 2 of the draft ends, with six draft picks to go.

I think a healthy MM should have a trade market. But the way these big contracts are handed out in free agency, I could see MM netting us a 3rd or 4th round pick as a comp pick in 2024 if we let him play out 2022 as a starter and he walks. In the same way that QBs have high value, a starting RT has high value. And fortunately for us in a trade scenario, there are not 64 starting quality tackles in the NFL. We have at least 2. I do know the Jets to be looking for a RT :-). Idk what the Dolphins situation is, but somebody in the league will need a starting RT. And someone will trade for Mike McGlinchey. If a team signed Richard Hightower as there special teams coach, and MM is at worst, average, he will have a market and we can either free 10 million in cap space in a trade or he will bring us a comp pick if we let him walk after the season.

Yes, by all means.

Kansas City rebuilt their entire line last year, beginning with making Center Creed Humphrey their 1st pick. All he did was make All-Pro!

It took a few games to get everyone playing together but when they did, they rolled. It can be done.

Kansas City is a special animal. We could've drafted Humphrey and the team would look totally different. They just literally got rid of guys and started from scratch. I think for is the key and getting one other day 1 starter out of the 2022 draft class. It's possible. The good news is the first prospect we are reported to having met with is an OT :-). Kyle sees the weakness.
IF the front page report on the 49ers Webzone really is true, and 49er brass really did hold a pre-draft meeting with Florida offensive tackle Jean Delance, it can mean one of three things:

1. Smokescreen. The 49ers aren't really interested. But they want other teams to think that they are. The meeting, which is now public, serves to mask who they really want. As nutty as this sounds, the team did the same thing last season when Shanahan and Lynch zeroed in on Trey Lance, but kept everyone guessing up until draft day.
2. McGlinchey's replacement. Which means the team isn't interested in signing McGlinchey to a long-term deal.
3. Eventual replacement for Trent Williams at left tackle. As Trent showed this previous season, he still has a lot of gas left in his tank. He could play out every year of the rich contract he signed. Joe Staley certainly did that. But Trent is also at the age where linemen start to break down physicially from repeated wear and tear. So, the thinking is, draft DeLance, let him sit and learn, then plug him in at left tackle when Trent decides that he's done.
Originally posted by stefano89:

this year it was more of an injury thing

Trent williams didnt play like himself i think he wouldve been enough to win it for us
I don't get it. People say offensive line is a strength of this team but all I see is jimmy running for his life.

we do have the best offensive lineman in Williams but everyone else is pretty much garbage. Good for 1-2 mistakes per game especially mcglunchy
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Yes, by all means.

Kansas City is a special animal. We could've drafted Humphrey and the team would look totally different. They just literally got rid of guys and started from scratch. I think for is the key and getting one other day 1 starter out of the 2022 draft class. It's possible. The good news is the first prospect we are reported to having met with is an OT :-). Kyle sees the weakness.

Wylie their RT wasn't very good this yr. Orlando Brown cost them a 1st and will get a pretty sizable contract this off season. Overall he wasn't elite in PBLK. Thuney was a stud and is paid as such and hit on Smith in the 6th rd (wild he lasted that long) and Creed is a stud, I liked him a lot when I thought he was coming out in 2020 draft. His play went down his last yr in college. Still bottom of the 2nd rd, and they took Banks like 20 picks higher

They need to resign Tomlinson for sure. I have no idea what they have in Banks and I'm not counting on anything there. McG was playing fine before his injury and I'm not sure what he will be after. They should invest in OL and this draft is chalk full of dudes.
Share 49ersWebzone