LISTEN: 49ers Master The Later Rounds Of The Draft →

There are 140 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Literally the only issue we have is at RG.

That's it, huh? LOL
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Literally the only issue we have is at RG.

That's it, huh? LOL

we have issues with guards and a center i am not sold on
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Not at all. But it seems you use certain ranking criteria to fit certain talking points. When the PFF has them pretty middle of the road, you then went to ESPN To show niner OL collectively bring the worst. Was just pointing out the flaws in this ranking, and all rankings for that matter, as evidenced by the various other rankings they provided. They flat out are not accurate. But I digress

I hear you! But like I said yesterday, if two independent sources are grading the unit PP as 21 and 26 and it's matching the eye test and your HC has to do a bunch of work-around and the 4Q of the Superbowl was a microcosm of this very unit issue, ya might want to at least entertain the notion there is real reason for concern over neglect here.

If you could throw out independent matching research to the contrary, I'd happily support your top 10 OL stance.
Not at all. But it seems you use certain ranking criteria to fit certain talking points. When the PFF has them pretty middle of the road, you then went to ESPN To show niner OL collectively bring the worst. Was just pointing out the flaws in this ranking, and all rankings for that matter, as evidenced by the various other rankings they provided. They flat out are not accurate. But I digress

I hear you! But like I said yesterday, if two independent sources are grading the unit PP as 21 and 26 and it's matching the eye test and your HC has to do a bunch of work-around and the 4Q of the Superbowl was a microcosm of this very unit issue, ya might want to at least entertain the notion there is real reason for concern over neglect here.

If you could throw out independent matching research to the contrary, I'd happily support your top 10 OL stance.

Can you imagine if JG didn't have such a quick release with this IOL
Originally posted by stefano89:
yes. its always made me wonder how crazy of a passing game we could have with shanny if hed just prioritize pass blocking for a couple years. we finally have a qb that can do it.

Ahh...He spent a top 10 pick on a RT, paid a pass-blocking center a s**t ton of money, traded for the best pass-blocking LT in the NFL, and traded for a former 1st rd pick to play LG (and resigned him).

Literally the only issue we have is at RG. His scheme is based around deception with the personnel group he uses, that in itself helps with pass-pro.

He uses a ton play-action which helps with pass-pro. He uses a ton of bootlegs that move the OL/QB (which helps pass-pro).

Looks like we're getting WRs that can either separate quickly or have no problem making contested catches which also helps pass-pro.

let me rephrase my comment. i always made me wonder how crazy of a passing game we could have if shanny would sign better pass blocking O linemen.

i hear what your saying but at the end of the day our O linemen were average to below average pass blockers. other factors just helped our team overall in pass blocking like the fact that we ran so much, misdirection plays, play actions, having kittle a great blocking TE etc.

the point im making is if we had those guards or centers that could buy jimmy JUST 1 or 2 more seconds. imagine what he could do. now add in aiyuk and hurd an imagine what he could do. could be very explosive.
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

Can you imagine if JG didn't have such a quick release with this IOL

For real. Or if we PASSED the 2nd most instead of passing the 2nd least.

Or Kyle wasn't a master at scheming open the primary read.

Play action is awesome but it takes 2 full seconds to execute before he can even scan to his primary read...which means he's got barely enough time to set, see and throw to his primary.

To be ranked that low as a unit while running the 2nd most, it means he's basically passing under duress constantly (and still making plays despite this).
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 28, 2020 at 10:21 AM ]
the point im making is if we had those guards or centers that could buy jimmy JUST 1 or 2 more seconds. imagine what he could do. now add in aiyuk and hurd an imagine what he could do. could be very explosive.

My wet dream. And Jimmy's in it.
I wouldn't read too much into that in year 1 for a rookie esp. one where he's moving around because they've been trying to rebuild the OL and still are:

TBF, I wanted both he and Deebo (trade up ala Pettis/Aiyuk move).

Well if we can't look into yr 1 then a rookie probably doesn't do much this yr anyway LT has been fine at LG. I agree RG needs to be improved upon.

I would have liked them to add some real competition via the draft as well...They simply didn't have the picks to do it though. overall IOL class was turds. I wouldn't be shocked if they add someone thru FA when guys get cut.
I wouldn't read too much into that in year 1 for a rookie esp. one where he's moving around because they've been trying to rebuild the OL and still are:

TBF, I wanted both he and Deebo (trade up ala Pettis/Aiyuk move).

Well if we can't look into yr 1 then a rookie probably doesn't do much this yr anyway LT has been fine at LG. I agree RG needs to be improved upon.

I would have liked them to add some real competition via the draft as well...They simply didn't have the picks to do it though. overall IOL class was turds. I wouldn't be shocked if they add someone thru FA when guys get cut.

Agreed and I would have been perfectly OK with that TBH esp. because a rookie would be pinned in between two veterans like Richburg and McGlinchey or at least learning from one like Tomlinson and Richburg. This is why i wanted young resources added 3, 2, 1 year ago so by now, we don't miss a beat.

I know you wanted the same too (loved your first mock!). Just a tough year to get one in FA (always is) and unless they went Wirfs for RG or traded up for Ruiz, it wasn't going to happen for high caliber talent.

Kyle seems to be stoked about McKivitz though thinking he was a 4th round talent. I'm intrigued by his move from T to G. For him, that's big time capital for a G.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 28, 2020 at 10:48 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

oh,, how i would love to be in that dream

let me rephrase my comment. i always made me wonder how crazy of a passing game we could have if shanny would sign better pass blocking O linemen.

i hear what your saying but at the end of the day our O linemen were average to below average pass blockers. other factors just helped our team overall in pass blocking like the fact that we ran so much, misdirection plays, play actions, having kittle a great blocking TE etc.

SF had the 14th overall offensive line per PFF.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-following-2019-regular-season

Now that's with Joe, McG, and Richburg missing substantial time. Tomlinson has been more than fine, He was the 18th overall guard on PFF...I'm not counting anyone who played 100 or snaps and less.

Your second paragraph is exactly what I'm saying. They're gonna run the ball a ton, they're gonna put up personnel groups that make defenses have to think if it's run/pass, SF will use a ton play-action, bring in a FB to block, that's NOT gonna change. That's a reason why we can get away with not having a bunch of elite guards.

This isn't a vertical threat offense. We're not asking Jimmy to do all these 5-7 step drops. It's a WCO offense. I also believe Jimmy will be a little more mobile this yr. A lot of that is mental. More bootlegs and moving the pocket.

We all would like stud players at every position, it's not realistic though.
Originally posted by cciowa:

oh,, how i would love to be in that dream

SF had the 14th overall offensive line per PFF.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-following-2019-regular-season

Now that's with Joe, McG, and Richburg missing substantial time. Tomlinson has been more than fine, He was the 18th overall guard on PFF...I'm not counting anyone who played 100 or snaps and less.

Your second paragraph is exactly what I'm saying. They're gonna run the ball a ton, they're gonna put up personnel groups that make defenses have to think if it's run/pass, SF will use a ton play-action, bring in a FB to block, that's NOT gonna change. That's a reason why we can get away with not having a bunch of elite guards.

This isn't a vertical threat offense. We're not asking Jimmy to do all these 5-7 step drops. It's a WCO offense. I also believe Jimmy will be a little more mobile this yr. A lot of that is mental. More bootlegs and moving the pocket.

We all would like stud players at every position, it's not realistic though.

Just to add the PFF year-end PP advanced efficiency rankings as well.

Agreed and I would have been perfectly OK with that TBH esp. because a rookie would be pinned in between two veterans like Richburg and McGlinchey or at least learning from one like Tomlinson and Richburg. This is why i wanted young resources added 3, 2, 1 year ago so by now, we don't miss a beat.

I know you wanted the same too (loved your first mock!). Just a tough year to get one in FA (always is) and unless they went Wirfs for RG or traded up for Ruiz, it wasn't going to happen for high caliber talent.

Kyle seems to be stoked about McKivitz though thinking he was a 4th round talent. I'm intrigued by his move from T to G.

Teams have to be able to develop guys and it sounds like that's the plan with guard. I really didn't want to spend our 100th 1st rd pick on DT, BUT I do believe that talent matters more on defense...on offense with a guy like Kyle they can get the most out of guys and scheme them up.

This team is NEVER gonna spend top dollar or draft capital on a guard. Just not gonna happen. Right or wrong we have to face that reality.

Yeah we will see with McKinvitz, I thought the 5th rd was the sweet spot for them to draft a interior guy. Didn't think it was gonna be him lol. We will see!
Teams have to be able to develop guys and it sounds like that's the plan with guard. I really didn't want to spend our 100th 1st rd pick on DT, BUT I do believe that talent matters more on defense...on offense with a guy like Kyle they can get the most out of guys and scheme them up.

This team is NEVER gonna spend top dollar or draft capital on a guard. Just not gonna happen. Right or wrong we have to face that reality.

Yeah we will see with McKinvitz, I thought the 5th rd was the sweet spot for them to draft a interior guy. Didn't think it was gonna be him lol. We will see!

No disagreement there. I'm just trying to do God's work here and get the word out. I'll keep blowing up Lynch's Twitter until the veil has been lifted and he views the OL like he does the DL. I have faith. I'm a Faithful.
Share 49ersWebzone