LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Gotta look at it as Staley retired and they had a MASSIVE hole at one of the most important positions heading into the draft. I wouldn't call it a push. They went from zero to all-pro. Wirfs isn't close Williams.

Brunskill is better than Person in pass-pro (which is what you care about). I would think they believe he's just a better option because they cut Person (wasn't being paid a ton).

McKivitz Is the wildcard, kyle loves him apparently. He's got some nasty in him, needs good coaching and to get stronger.

I think Benton's the coach you are looking for. As for getting stronger, McKivitz's a prick, and to be a good prick, he has to be strong. So I think, yes, he can get stronger. I"m also thinking - can he play center in a pinch (just in case) Richburg is out?

It will be Garland who plays center of Richburg can't go no doubt. Experience playing with this line and scheme.
I think Benton's the coach you are looking for. As for getting stronger, McKivitz's a prick, and to be a good prick, he has to be strong. So I think, yes, he can get stronger. I"m also thinking - can he play center in a pinch (just in case) Richburg is out?

He's 6-6 that's pretty tall for a center imo. I think he can get stronger just gonna take some time. He might end up as our swing tackle and brunskill is the starting RG
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
It will be Garland who plays center of Richburg can't go no doubt. Experience playing with this line and scheme.

He's 6-6 that's pretty tall for a center imo. I think he can get stronger just gonna take some time. He might end up as our swing tackle and brunskill is the starting RG

Got it. I was hoping we could upgrade the depth at center, but it looks like we'll have to wait till next year. Brunskill did an adequate job at center, otherwise we'd not even smell the Super Bowl let alone be play in it for 3 good quarters before everything fell apart. I really hope Brunskill elevates his game - I think his improvement is going to key a lot of the improvement of the whole OLine because I'm betting Richburg will be out again due to injures. I hope not, but ShanaLynch have to be preparing for it.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Love the trade. Very much.

Off season Talent Meter:

+ Williams - Staley = Push

+ McKivitz + Compton - Person =

+ Starter Brunskill - Starter Person =

Gotta look at it as Staley retired and they had a MASSIVE hole at one of the most important positions heading into the draft. I wouldn't call it a push. They went from zero to all-pro. Wirfs isn't close Williams.

Brunskill is better than Person in pass-pro (which is what you care about). I would think they believe he's just a better option because they cut Person (wasn't being paid a ton).

McKivitz Is the wildcard, kyle loves him apparently. He's got some nasty in him, needs good coaching and to get stronger.

We didn't add any more talent to LT...just swapped out a top 5 T for a top 5 T. Now if they added a top 5 talent to this OL 'with' Staley still on the team, now we're talking about adding real talent to the group...upgrading a starter (not just to the depth pool).

It could have been a massive hole indeed so they absolutely deserve credit big time esp. given Schneider here. Can you imagine if Schneider pulled out after taking a 3T? That would have been the ultimate troll job by Schneider.
and I was just referencing the fact that I didn't know much about Benton last year, and had tremendous doubts about him as a coach. I think he may be as good as Scaranecha of the Patriots after all of this is said and done. What he's done with the inexperienced tackles when Staley and McGlinchy were injured last year, developing McGlinchy - is a good sign of things to come.

I think Benton (by Kyle's design) works with the scouts to get good intel on potential players pre-draft. I know there's been articles (no link) that have mentioned the assistant coaches to Kyle being integral to the draft evaluations. If so, then I think Benton's been an asset in identifying good OLine talent and you can be assured that the OLinemen that are rookies or veterans coming on board this year aren't chump change camp OLinemen.

If we're fortunate to make it back to the Super Bowl this year, I think I'll begin to evaluate Benton as at possibly at the coaching level of Bob McKittrick/Scaranecca.

Yeah, I'm very impressed with Benton and what's he's got out of bargain bin players and constantly having to shift gears d/t chronic injuries (used 9 of 10 in 2018 and 8 of 8 in 2019).

Can you imagine what this guy could do if he was given all the talent Kocurek/Saleh has been given???

He'd probably produce 5 HOF OL. Ha.
So basically Richburg. LOL. He'd probably be a better backup than Garland but who cares.

Originally posted by stefano89:
according to reddit Britt was like middle of the road/average as a starter.

Wut? This guy lol

Garland is better then this chump.

Richburg was playing at a pro-bowl level before getting hurt. That's been his problem not really his play.

Alex mack might be getting cut with the Hennessy pick. Larry Warford Might be on his way out with the Ruiz pick as well.

Like I said, who cares. The difference in play between Garland and Britt is like debating over a Douche or giant Turd.
We didn't add any more talent to LT...just swapped out a top 5 T for a top 5 T. Now if they added a top 5 talent to this OL 'with' Staley still on the team, now we're talking about adding real talent to the group...upgrading a starter (not just to the depth pool).

It could have been a massive hole indeed so they absolutely deserve credit big time esp. given Schneider here. Can you imagine if Schneider pulled out after taking a 3T? That would have been the ultimate troll job by Schneider.

You're looking at it wrong imo. They lost a HOFer at LT and replaced him with probably a better HOFer (and younger). If not for that move, who are we talking about at LT heading into 2020? There isn't a tackle better than Williams in this draft and they were down to Wirfs, who some don't even have as a tackle at the next level

This IOL class wasn't good imo. Just wasn't. They invested higher end picks at more impactful positions and on better overall players. Is what it is.

They created a little more cap space, maybe they snag a IOL after some cuts are made
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
With the news that Richburg is on pace to be available for TC I think we are in very good shape on the OL. Most teams don't have studs or great players at all 5 OL positions. We have all-pro LT, good RT, C and LG and then a capable RG with depth across the line that has playing experience. I'd love to have a stud at RG but I just don't see how they could have done that this offseason

Yup, I keep trying to tell everyone to go look at Shanny OLs...they value tackle and center always has. He uses play-action, personnel grouping along with a FB to help in pass-pro. Is what it is.

The fact the people are complaining about RG is kinda funny compared to what the rest of the league and what they need.

Our unit as PP blows even with Richburg. You guys are focusing on individual players. Tomlinson is actually the worst of the IOL in that regard (excellent run blocker though!). Anyone hedging his bets on a Richburg health report is risky. RG, let's see how Brunskill does.

If he doesn't pan out, it's Tom Compton and a 5th rounder. Just like with Tomlinson, zero real challengers.

The depth is fine. The starters are very suspect across the IOL esp. as a unit in pass protection. And it's been like that overall even with Richburg healthy.

If he was 100% healthy and playing like a top 5 C like Staley at LT, then you can hide cheap G's but when he's not, it's a trainwreck that forces Kyle's hand in play calling and extra protection and puts instant pressure on Garoppolo, which isn't fair (he gets a ton of blame).
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 28, 2020 at 6:44 AM ]
Like I said, who cares. The difference in play between Garland and Britt is like debating over a Douche or giant Turd.

Not true. I'll stick to pass-pro because I know that's all you care about

62.8 for Garland
45.7 for Britt

Garland was a damn good run-blocker as well. He's without question a serviceable backup center, especially when talking about Britt.
Our unit as PP blows even with Richburg. You guys are focusing on individual players. Tomlinson is actually the worst of the IOL in that regard (excellent run blocker though!). Anyone hedging his bets on a Richburg health report is risky. RG, let's see how Brunskill does.

If he doesn't pan out, it's Tom Compton and a 5th rounder. Just like with Tomlinson, zero real challengers.

The depth is fine. The starters are very suspect across the IOL esp. as a unit in pass protection. And it's been like that overall even with Richburg healthy.

If he was 100% healthy and playing like a top 5 C like Staley at LT, then you can hide cheap G's but when he's not, it's a trainwreck that forces Kyle's hand in play calling and extra protection and puts instant pressure on Garoppolo, which isn't fair (he gets a ton of blame).

Tomlinson has the same pass-pro grade as your boy Dalton Risner and is a better run-blocker lol.

Richburg was playing real well as a pass-blocker this year (same as when he's was in NY). 10th overall according to PFF (for anyone that had meaningful snaps).

Yes hoping Richburg is healthy is a little risky...so what do you do? This draft was turds at IOL and I said that for months. There wasn't jack s**t in FA either. They also simply didn't have the draft capital to make it work.

You're looking at it wrong imo. They lost a HOFer at LT and replaced him with probably a better HOFer (and younger). If not for that move, who are we talking about at LT heading into 2020? There isn't a tackle better than Williams in this draft and they were down to Wirfs, who some don't even have as a tackle at the next level

This IOL class wasn't good imo. Just wasn't. They invested higher end picks at more impactful positions and on better overall players. Is what it is.

They created a little more cap space, maybe they snag a IOL after some cuts are made

Fact is, from where they ended last season, no additional talent has been added to the teams #1 weakness.

Brunskill was the top backup. Is Tom Compton and Lenny Kravitz better?

Williams - if you have to lose Staley, there's no better option out there. But he hasn't played football in 18 months and we have no off season. Fans shouldn't assume he's going to regain form let alone play at a top 5 LT level that Staley did (last year). He's going to need time. But the potential to get back to top 5 is real eventually and if so and we resign him, that's ideal (but that needs to happen first).
Tomlinson - he is who is is. No change. Sucks at pass protection, excellent at run blocking.
Richburg - groundhog days with fans. And even when/if healthy, he's been average at best which compounds the weak G play as he was brought in to play top 5 to help cover up the cheap G's (like Staley with Tomlinson). In/out of the lineup compounds the train wreck even more. Who's challenging him? Young high talent? Nope...Ben Garland? LOL
Brunskill - absolutely made the most of his opportunities, mostly at LT. Now he's the starting RG with no challengers. We have no idea if he's a 16 game starter and if so, his level of play or ceiling. Like Skule and Garland, he could easily regress with time. Lots of Faith in this one but if he doesn't pan out? What's your option?
McGlinchey - he, like Tomlinson, is who he is. Top notch run blocker, average to below average pass protector.

You gotta be happy with the depth pool though with Coleman, Skule and Garland if you need them for a couple games. Maybe Reynolds and McKivitz add even more depth but the bottom line is, no talent was added to the starting 5 from last year.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 28, 2020 at 7:11 AM ]
Tomlinson has the same pass-pro grade as your boy Dalton Risner and is a better run-blocker lol.

Richburg was playing real well as a pass-blocker this year (same as when he's was in NY). 10th overall according to PFF (for anyone that had meaningful snaps).

Yes hoping Richburg is healthy is a little risky...so what do you do? This draft was turds at IOL and I said that for months. There wasn't jack s**t in FA either. They also simply didn't have the draft capital to make it work.

Risner doesn't play here. He also switched positions. Imagine if he was here for a full year working with Benton. We probably wouldn't be having this IOL and unit PP conversation.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 28, 2020 at 7:06 AM ]

Not true. I'll stick to pass-pro because I know that's all you care about

62.8 for Garland
45.7 for Britt

Garland was a damn good run-blocker as well. He's without question a serviceable backup center, especially when talking about Britt.

Sample size. Garland progressively got worse esp. through the playoffs. But yeah, Britt is brutal. If I had to pick a sub par C, I'm definitely picking Garland over that turd unless I wanted him to go 1on1 with Kinlaw to develop his confidence even more at the next level.

He said he's played both tackles and some guard but no mention of center. He is tall for a center but we had a really good one back in the day named Forest Blue. I think he was 6'5".
Love the trade. Very much.

Off season Talent Meter:

+ Williams - Staley = Push

+ McKivitz + Compton - Person =

+ Starter Brunskill - Starter Person =

Per the ESPN rankings you posted yesterday to point to the niners OL being one of the worst, Staley was not top 5...not even top 10.
Share 49ersWebzone