There are 247 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Think it was scheme mostly. We dont really have that mauling kind of line. Plus 4.3 speed doesnt hurt. alot of thos plays. Mostert just stepped on the gas and couldnt be caught in a scramble field.
Originally posted by thl408:
Don't know how they lost their starting center and it somehow improved their running game.

Remarkable. The three unsung heroes in our blocking scheme has been Person, Garland and Toilolo.

We all know what Juice, Kittle, McGlinchey, Staley, Tomlinson and Deebo/Bourne mean to the run blocking game.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 20, 2020 at 6:29 AM ]
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Just the fact that you two are even having this conversation is proof they took a calculated risk...and it's costing them at the most crucial point in the season.

But at least they found someone to challenge Coleman next year.

Disagree. They had issues all over the place and fixed other things like WR/Edge/LBer with players that had a better chance at producing.

I'm taking Deebo over any OG drafted in the 2nd and honestly there wasn't much of anything at guard in the 3rd. Wasn't a good draft for OG. Just wasn't.

With the $ and draft capital we had, there's no law that says you only get 3 positions to improve upon...or four...or five. They took a gamble on AA...it worked out. They took a gamble on Ward...it worked out. They took a gamble on Ford...um. Bosa...it worked out. None of those or any other moves prohibited them from prioritizing the OL.

It was a calculated and conscious choice going with only Skule, Brunskill and Garland as depth AFTER seeing every one of their 5 starting OL get dinged up the previous year (and again this year, save for Tomlinson). The OZ eats through OL.

They survived it with Skule and Brunskill starting this year but had to scheme around it, clearly.

But now it's playoff time and they are totally screwed.

It was a poor move IMHO back then and now you're seeing why.

If Person can't go (questionable, like Zuerlein)...good luck. Hell, even if he can, he's injured; potentially why he gave up 5 QB hits and had a poor game last game. He has to play. There's, literally, nobody else and we're still two heavyweight games away from the playoffs.

They f**ked up.

You were saying?

Lol

100% wrong. No way I thought we'd be playing at this level with backups with ONLY Skule, Brunskill and Garland on the roster for the full year esp. with how often the ZB scheme files through OL.

Who did? You, Hopper & SFrush? If so you're full of s**t.

It was a calculated risk and it absolutely worked out.

I certainly won't be questioning their eye for OL talent or development going forward. And now picking at 32, they'll be in perfect position to add more OL talent from now on.

I still think they need more "talent" going forward so JG doesn't have to be the fastest TTT QB and so Kyle doesn't have to scheme around injuries every year. But it's definitely not an emergent situation.

Benton and ShanaLynch
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 20, 2020 at 7:02 AM ]
Don't know how they lost their starting center and it somehow improved their running game.

This amazes me..
We lose our starting center and Garland is doing an amazing job! Just awesome!
[ Edited by Jeepzilla on Jan 20, 2020 at 7:07 AM ]
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:

This amazes me..
We lose our starting center and Garland is doing an amazing job! Just awesome!

4 of our starting OL go down. Not even a dent in the armor. And the past two games were their best two games ever. How? HOW? Incredible!

We even lost Juice, Arby's, Kittle and Toililo.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 20, 2020 at 7:24 AM ]
Hopefully Benton is the new McKittrick
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

It's certainly starting to look like it.
It's hella funny that Green Bay knew the run game was coming, you knew the run game was coming, I knew the run game was coming and they couldn't even stop it.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

the man deserves his own private island after his coaching this season.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
100% wrong. No way I thought we'd be playing at this level with backups with ONLY Skule, Brunskill and Garland on the roster for the full year esp. with how often the ZB scheme files through OL.

I certainly won't be questioning their eye for OL talent or development going forward. And now picking at 32, they'll be in perfect position to add more OL talent from now on.

I still think they need more "talent" going forward so JG doesn't have to be the fastest TTT QB and so Kyle doesn't have to scheme around injuries every year. But it's definitely not an emergent situation.

Benton and ShanaLynch

Benton and ShanaLynch.

Seem to be hitting on all cylinders at the most important time. . Pretty remarkable considering their C went down coupled with the recent Person injury.
Seem to be hitting on all cylinders at the most important time. . Pretty remarkable considering their C went down coupled with the recent Person injury.

Remarkable. Truly. And Person has been remarkable esp. on pulling. Tomlinson has always been our pulling G...didn't see that coming. Benton/Kyle are wizards.

Remarkable. Truly. And Person has been remarkable esp. on pulling. Tomlinson has always been our pulling G...didn't see that coming. Benton/Kyle are wizards.

I thought they were going to be in deep s**t after Richburg went down. Glad I was wrong Not sure what the timetable is on his return or if he will come back remotely healthy, but certainly not opposed to a little C/G combo this offseason.
Playing their best ball right now. Pass protection is spotty but the run game is on fleek.
Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Just the fact that you two are even having this conversation is proof they took a calculated risk...and it's costing them at the most crucial point in the season.

But at least they found someone to challenge Coleman next year.

Disagree. They had issues all over the place and fixed other things like WR/Edge/LBer with players that had a better chance at producing.

I'm taking Deebo over any OG drafted in the 2nd and honestly there wasn't much of anything at guard in the 3rd. Wasn't a good draft for OG. Just wasn't.

With the $ and draft capital we had, there's no law that says you only get 3 positions to improve upon...or four...or five. They took a gamble on AA...it worked out. They took a gamble on Ward...it worked out. They took a gamble on Ford...um. Bosa...it worked out. None of those or any other moves prohibited them from prioritizing the OL.

It was a calculated and conscious choice going with only Skule, Brunskill and Garland as depth AFTER seeing every one of their 5 starting OL get dinged up the previous year (and again this year, save for Tomlinson). The OZ eats through OL.

They survived it with Skule and Brunskill starting this year but had to scheme around it, clearly.

But now it's playoff time and they are totally screwed.

It was a poor move IMHO back then and now you're seeing why.

If Person can't go (questionable, like Zuerlein)...good luck. Hell, even if he can, he's injured; potentially why he gave up 5 QB hits and had a poor game last game. He has to play. There's, literally, nobody else and we're still two heavyweight games away from the playoffs.

They f**ked up.

You were saying?

Lol

Benton and ShanaLynch

I didn't need to jump to conclusions. You did.
Share 49ersWebzone