There are 222 users in the forums

Offseason All22 Film Study

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jdk8008:
Loving these posts man. Keep up the good work. This was a great read by Gabbert. The RCB was showing zone with inside leverage, and there was no help in the flats.

This!
Originally posted by SoCold:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by SoCold:
ATL #9
Celek runs a stick nod route.
vs Cover4

Draugh's route draws the red LB forward. Celek head faking towards an Out route...

then to the post. Touchdown.

- Good timing and ball placement. Good read/throw.

Not sure wtf the MLB was looking at? If he was looking at the QB he would have had an easy INT.

My guess is the MLB was looking to the strong side of the formation to be alert for any crossing routes. Vance was the closest threat to him. Yeah, had he watched Gabbert, he may have been able to play the passing lane to Celek.

once he turned his shoulder pads his ability to cover the right side of the field is all over. Need to keep your pads parallel to the los. So you can still be able to slide either direction. It's the little things.

gabbert's head placement is pretty crucial here. The MLB is trying to watch his head to key in to which side of the field he's going to throw to, but Gabbert keeps his head down the middle of the field so it holds the defender towards the 3 receiver side. I remember watching Mike Martz talk about how they were working on this with Alex Smith on some of his throws.
SEA #5
Comebacks and Curl. Gabbert has to read leverage and make the proper throw.
vs Cover 1 blitz

With Patton's defender having his hips turned upfield and giving a cushion, Gabbert starts his windup just as Patton enters his break.

Crushed right as he throws, the throw is on rhythm and on target. +15.

- Good read/pass
Does he get double points for making this throw while getting absolutely smashed after the throw? LOL
Yes! I've been looking everyday for these since the last ones went up. This is a good way to the work day
That was a big miss/read throw at the read zone for Gabbert. Seattle don't give you many of those. He had Celek to the corner end zone. It did look like he bail out of the collapsing pocket early. I think for a better view of what he has, after turning his attention to the right and his internal clock was ticking on the Seattle pressure.

I think Gabbert's play on 3rd down would be considered 'mix' against Seattle. A few good, couple of bad misses, and some in between. Certainly needed to improve. For a second start after 2 offseasons, against leagues top defense, I was looking for him to s**t the bed with turnovers but he didn't .
I love this thread, awesome work.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
For a second start after 2 offseasons, against leagues top defense, I was looking for him to s**t the bed with turnovers but he didn't .

I wonder if after he watched film of this game he started to see the TE's more and more open and a viable option b/c after this game, you see a sharp increase of targets, receptions and TD's for both Celek and McDonald and even a few for Bell.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
For a second start after 2 offseasons, against leagues top defense, I was looking for him to s**t the bed with turnovers but he didn't .

I wonder if after he watched film of this game he started to see the TE's more and more open and a viable option b/c after this game, you see a sharp increase of targets, receptions and TD's for both Celek and McDonald and even a few for Bell.

I would think Geep Chryst would let him know about it. Would be retarded of Chryst not to do so.
  • thl408
SEA #8
Yellow and red looks like a Sucker concept.
vs Tampa2

Middle of the field is clogged with defenders. Dropping back, Gabbert looks at the middle of the field, then immediately checksdown to Draughn who has no chance with all zone defenders watching the throw.

Maybe scramble around and make a sandlot play, then throw it away and FG. Doubt any WR would be open, but checking down this early gives the play no chance. 49ers were trailing by 13 near end of the 3rd. - Checkdown too early.
  • thl408
SEA #9
Texas versus Tampa2

Underneath defenders gain depth and protect the sticks. Gabbert drops back looking left - nothing open.

Targets the Texas route, but with a throw at Draughn's feet. Notice Draughn exit his break then suddenly slow down. This route needs to be hit in stride full speed for chance at RAC.

Not sure how to grade this play. I don't see an open WR to Gabbert's left (Boldin/Torrey). On the whiteboard, Gabbert makes the correct read by hitting the Texas concept vs Tampa2, but that's hoping for some missed tackles for 12 yards. Draughn stops his route and that causes the throw to not get caught. Zone defenders most likely would have rallied to tackle even if pass was caught. Not feeling strong about this grading because I see it going many ways - Good read/pass.

• thl408
SEA #10
Fade-Out to Gabbert's right. Boldin's pivot (out) route is to bust man coverage.
vs Cover 1 robber

Gabbert looks left and just hit the last step of his drop. No one is open to the left, yet. Pears says, "Watch out!".

Just needing 3 yards, Boldin on the double move was a possible target. Patton, with his defender playing soft over the top, was open. So an open WR to each side. No chance with the immediate pressure given up.

- Poor pass protection
  • thl408
SEA #11

Deep curls vs Tampa2. Gabbert seen targeting Boldin.

Defender gets both hands on the ball, but drops the near INT.

Throw needed more air underneath, high to Boldin. Safety had a lot of depth and would not have been able to play this pass. Correct target, but bad throw. - Missed read/throw
Adding this context (and IYO, objective grades/evaluations) is so helpful in these reviews thl...much appreciated!
SEA #11

Deep curls vs Tampa2. Gabbert seen targeting Boldin.

Defender gets both hands on the ball, but drops the near INT.

Throw needed more air underneath, high to Boldin. Safety had a lot of depth and would not have been able to play this pass. Correct target, but bad throw. - Missed read/throw

I remember this one. It was very late in the game. They have been hitting Boldin on very similar routes on the right side, several times through the game. By this time I think the defender was looking for it. He saw it coming and made a break on it. I would have to put this close INT partly on play call also.
SEA #10
Fade-Out to Gabbert's right. Boldin's pivot (out) route is to bust man coverage.
vs Cover 1 robber

Gabbert looks left and just hit the last step of his drop. No one is open to the left, yet. Pears says, "Watch out!".

Just needing 3 yards, Boldin on the double move was a possible target. Patton, with his defender playing soft over the top, was open. So an open WR to each side. No chance with the immediate pressure given up.

- Poor pass protection

Not sure why Boldin on the shake-out isn't the initial read here. Seattle gets killed by these routes, and he's clearly being manned up in pre-snap.

SEA #7
Sucker concept to his left to bust zone coverage.
Spot concept to his right. The way the Corner and Curl is run creates a possible pick/rub versus man coverage.
vs Cover 2 Man

(not shown): During the dropback, Gabbert looks left to the Sucker concept, which fails versus man coverage (Boldin, Torrey covered).

Spot being run to his right has the Corner route (88) coming underneath the curl (89). This creates a nice pick to free up the Corner route.
(shown below) As soon as Gabbert comes off the Sucker, he sees possible pressure in his face and looks to escape.

Never gave the Corner route a chance.

Complete for +7. FG unit.

This was an interesting play because it was hard to decide on the outcome. Was Gabbert really pressured enough to have to look to escape? Pressure never seemed to arrive, but it was coming right into his face. At this point in the game, he's been pressured multiple times. The pressure also came where he would have had to step towards to hit the Corner.
I do know he did look to the incorrect side of the field for his primary read and may have seen the Corner route developing if he initially looked to Spot. But even then it's hard to know what his presnap keys were and why he thought he was about to see zone coverage. SEA does not call Cover2 man often so this is a changeup - Missed read/throw.

This one's also a pre-snap issue to me. Sure, Seattle doesn't play 2-man often, but they are slearly manned-up on the outside, and if it's not 2-man, it's likely 1-robber. Either way, sucker is dead as nails from the jump. I think he bailed to early, too, but it's not like Pears inspired a lot of confidence in that game, and he appeared to be giving up inside leverage before he recovered. I'd have tried to duck out of there, too.
Share 49ersWebzone