There are 230 users in the forums

Stevie Johnson status in limbo

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
What if we use that money towards signing another big FA? (Brandon Matshall? Mike Wallace?). Now I know we don't throw big money at FA's but it can help fill a big need. That's how we got Boldin.

Or maybe use it on one of our own FA's. Or any other non-WR.

We traded for Boldin, not sure what you meant by that.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

A pay cut looms for #49ers WR Stevie Johnson, source said. He is set to make $5.5M this season. Grew into one of Kaepernick's favorites

Hopefully rotoworld and Dianna are wrong. Cause I'd prefer we keep him.
Lol remember when we had all those draft picks and we thought baalke was a genius.

Then he blows a bunch of picks on mccoy, gabbert and stevie and blows a bunch on the All ACL team.
  • bors
  • Veteran
we never even gave him a chance to play really
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Another waste of a 4th round pick. Maybe this will give Patton/Ellington the more snaps they need and deserve. but i woulda atleast tried and pay cut maybe.

Question now is, does that mean Crabtree is coming back? If not, Patton and Ellington are virtually guaranteed extensive PT next season.

My guess is they spoke with him to attempt to work something out, but it just didn't come together. I'm sad because I really like Stevie, but the FO must feel he wasn't as good of a fit for our offense to keep him around for 6+ million. Stevie's unorthodox style was well-documented as a difficult adjustment for Kaepernick and SJ also graded out below average in run blocking, something paramount to our team and something our coaches HEAVILY scrutinize. Patton, while much younger, is a fantastic blocker and like I said before, the flashes he's shown in limited snaps lead you to believe there could be something there if given the opportunity to actually see significant playing time.

Excellent points.

There is a chance we could resign him if he doesn't have any takers for the amount he wants (likely). They may be willing to take this salary cap risk given Patton and Ellington and them sure to take a WR anyhow in the draft (maybe two). Here's the list:

If Stevie is indeed cut.. Among the FA receivers, if they went after anyone, I'd go after Cecil Shorts. Shorts roasted Seattle. His injury history should lower his price, and with younger guys on the roster already and more to come in the draft, it'd be a low risk, high reward situation for us.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I need a more reliable source.
Bye Bye Stevie
Shorts gets injured far too much. Also if Stevie returns for 4 mil I say keep him. If not then we can use the 6 mil to go after a wr like Torrey smith or trade for Wallace and finally have a great proven speed wr that produces. I don't think the niners have ever had that. Not that we need it, but it would open thinks more than a proven possession wr.
[ Edited by elguapo on Feb 28, 2015 at 10:17 AM ]
Originally posted by bors:
we never even gave him a chance to play really

Ditto

I hope not, release Crab and Brooks
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Well Maiocco hasn't confirmed it yet, all he says is Stevie Johnson's future is uncertain.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Constantine:
I hope not, release Crab and Brooks

You can't release Cratree he's a free agent.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Lol remember when we had all those draft picks and we thought baalke was a genius.

Then he blows a bunch of picks on mccoy, gabbert and stevie and blows a bunch on the All ACL team.

"Blows a bunch of picks on McCoy, Gabbert and Stevie"? Seriously?
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

"Blows a bunch of picks on McCoy, Gabbert and Stevie"? Seriously?

lol
Share 49ersWebzone