LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 205 users in the forums

Week 16 - 2014: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Didn't get to watch the game as it was played as I was out of town so just finally got to sit down and watch it on the DVR...

1) Kap: Its sometimes difficult to follow a game the way I did (via twitter), then watch it on my DVR, and really get an accurate depiction of the flow of the game. What I saw was that he didn't play poorly. He made some good throws and actually put the ball into the endzone 3 times even tho 2 were called back. That's promising. He didn't put up a ton of yards, but they were also running the hell out of the ball and doing so with success.

The 90 yard run was fantastic, but not getting too excited about that as we already knew he could do that. It was a nice thing to see though.

2) Ellington: Looked good in this game. Still dunno how big a contributor he'll be in the future, but he had himself a pretty good game. He's not real big and while he's elusive, he's still not the pure burner they need.

3) Frank: Love seeing Frank go off at least one more time. Hopefully he can get over 1000 this week. Salute to my all-time favorite Niner.

4) Defense: They could only hold on so long before the penalties started to really show themselves. Backups all over the field. Backups to backups at a few positions...yet they still fight and almost pulled it off. So if Reid can't go this week, we are now down to only Justin Smith and Micheal Wilhoite as defenders who will start all 16 games....and Wilhoite is a backup to begin with.

5) Aldon: Was it just me or did it seem like Aldons heart wasn't really in it? He's been double and triple teamed a ton since his return, but just seemed a bit like he was playing in slow motion at times. Could have just been fatigue. As I said, tough to get a feel for the game when watching it on DVR.

6) Refs: I try not to say much about refs...but this one was tough. I have to read the rule again on cut-blocks, but how can it be a cut-block if the back engages BEFORE the lineman does? Asking seriously...don't know how the rule is written. The illegal formation penalties? WTF? I didn't see them any farther from the line than any tackle these days. The hold on Staley? WTF?

7) Cox: I think he's earned himself a new contract. CB will be a position of need in the offseason and Cully may be gone, but Cox has earned a new contract.

8) New Coach: Anyone else find Mike Shanahans comments about wanting to coach but not a team doing a complete rebuild interesting? Dunno if I even like the choice, but I did find that interesting. It will be sad to see Harbaugh go, but clear the writing is on the wall. I just hope they can get something for him, but I have a sneaking suspicion they won't.

9) Difficult: Have to be honest, I always watch Niners games regardless of record and love seeing them play no matter what...but these last few games are kinda rough. Possibly last games in Niner uniforms for several players I've really enjoyed watching..Frank, Justin, Crab, Iupati, and maybe a few others. Still though, I'm looking forward to the season being over and being able to change the focus from qho's gone and about to be let go to who's coming and whose about to be a 49er.

Can't get here soon enough.

10) Spoiler?: Jeez....Lose and assure Seahawks win division and we get a better draft pick or win and destroy any chance to send them back to being Wild-Card. I say win the damn thing. :) End the season right.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 22, 2014 at 4:53 PM ]
If the Rams can somehow beat them, then of course we've gotta tank it just to stick it to the Seahawks.
[ Edited by InsertNameHere on Dec 22, 2014 at 1:45 PM ]
That's gonna be a chop block any way you slice it. One guy went high and the other guy went low. I think that was the correct call. It was split second on who hit the guy 1st Gore or the lineman.

Yea I think aldon just going through the motions like a lot of players are.

Mike Shanahan. Hell naw. I don't want to see a repeat of what just happened in Washington with a similar styled qb.

Cox has earned a new contract. No doubt about it

This team isn't spoiling anything
  • kray28
  • Veteran
I think Aldon was going through the motions. A bunch of other guys were not. Hats off to the players that tried...you pass the ultimate test of character...to play hard when nothing else is at stake but your pride.

To the rest...I hope we find another place for you to play next year.
I enjoyed watching the offense go to work this game. I didn't expect much from the defense because of all the injuries. Knew it was going to be pre-season staus though. On the Brightside, our young guys went out there and got some experience. Cromartie and Dahl were picked on, weakest links on the field so why not? BAck ups that had to play against seattle def looked better this week after getting some reps. I don't think this team sucks, we just need to be healthy. Ive been sayin this for a minute now but we just need to get healthy, add some pass rush help and DB depth and we're gonna be ready to play consistantly at a high level
Originally posted by Marvin49:
10) Spoiler?: Jeez....Lose and assure Seahawks win divisionand we get a better draft pick or win and at least have a chance to send them back to being Wild-Card. I say win the damn thing. :)
I prefer losing in order to get a better draft pick and to assure that the Hawks could lose the division.
Do we hold an NFL record for the worst 2nd half scoring for a season??

This was as depressing. What made it hurt was the excellent first half of football we played.
It looks like it's getting worse. With Reid's concussion issues and Smith's recent drinking revelation, there may be even more turnover than we think.
Nice write up Marvin49. I am so ready for season to be over & ready to move on asap.
Seemed like the pass rush was nonexistent, and the O line was porous again in pass protection. After re watching kaep's 90 yarder, does anyone think it could have been a designed run play?
[ Edited by Diaperfan on Dec 22, 2014 at 7:32 PM ]

Originally posted by Diaperfan:
Seemed like the pass rush was nonexistent, and the O line was porous again in pass protection. After re watching kaep's 90 yarder, does anyone think it could have been a designed run play?

Nah...he barely escaped pressure and many of the receivers were facing him when he began to run (IE, were expecting pass, not blocking).
I am sure you are right, but the way the center just turned aside and let the tackle have a free run at kaep stood out to me. Was it Martin or Looney or Pharrell? I can't keep track anymore.
Originally posted by Diaperfan:
I am sure you are right, but the way the center just turned aside and let the tackle have a free run at kaep stood out to me. Was it Martin or Looney or Pharrell? I can't keep track anymore.

Pretty sure it was Martin.
Been a huge fan of yours since I switched over from 49ers.com a few years ago, Marvin. I always look forward to the post game observations.

Do you think we have something in Patton and Ellington, aside from WR reverses?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Thoughts after rewatching the game....we suck.
Share 49ersWebzone