LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 302 users in the forums

Oakland Raiders coaches Film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Well..... that sucked - once again.

One of the more frustrating games to watch. Mainly, because we were playing against a team that should never have been in the fight and we made it look like they were a playoff contender.

From an offensive standpoint - there's quite a few things that should make us concerned overall.

1. Both Martin's look overmatched against NFL opponents. This is an indictment straight against Baalke. None of the lineman he has aquired have been solid in pass pro. Kilgore was the closest and he was inconsistent at best. Marcus Martin got bull rushed all night long - even against a LB. There was one play where a LB bull rushed Martin right up the middle into Kap - that should not happen....ever....
2. They tried to simplify the passing game - and it still struggled. This is perhaps the strongest indictment against Kap. They tried to get him into a rhythm and simplify the reads and throws from him after the early pick. On the TD drive - almost all the throws were designed throws to that receiver. When it's like that, Kap threw on time and hit the receiver well. But, any plays they dialed up that required full field reads - he was slow in his reads at best and terrible in his reads at worst.
3. We showed very little fight throughout most of the game. It seemed like - unless it was within 2 minutes, there was no urgency or fight from our guys.

Overall, a very poor game and I don't have full time to launch into everything right now - there is a lot to discuss and we'll try to get to it when we can.
That bad huh? Can't even finish the opening statements?
no analysis needed.
Agreed, it was bollocks!

The offensive system failed, it was the same old same old for Kaep, and the D players intent has gone.
For the first time in the harbaugh era, I felt like this team might have mailed it in. There is just no justification for everything we were playing for coming off of the Seattle s**tshow, to lose to the worst pro football team on the planet. The first play of the game was really embarrassing as kap really f**ked up a spot concept play and liked lost. His head appears to be spinning and it shocking to watch.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Dec 9, 2014 at 4:58 PM ]
Originally posted by jonnydel:

One of the more frustrating games to watch. Mainly, because we were playing against a team that should never have been in the fight and we made it look like they were a playoff contender.

From an offensive standpoint - there's quite a few things that should make us concerned overall.

1. Both Martin's look overmatched against NFL opponents. This is an indictment straight against Baalke. None of the lineman he has aquired have been solid in pass pro. Kilgore was the closest and he was inconsistent at best. Marcus Martin got bull rushed all night long - even against a LB. There was one play where a LB bull rushed Martin right up the middle into Kap - that should not happen....ever....
2. They tried to simplify the passing game - and it still struggled. This is perhaps the strongest indictment against Kap. They tried to get him into a rhythm and simplify the reads and throws from him after the early pick. On the TD drive - almost all the throws were designed throws to that receiver. When it's like that, Kap threw on time and hit the receiver well. But, any plays they dialed up that required full field reads - he was slow in his reads at best and terrible in his reads at worst.
3. We showed very little fight throughout most of the game. It seemed like - unless it was within 2 minutes, there was no urgency or fight from our guys.

Overall, a very poor game and I don't have full time to launch into everything right now - there is a lot to discuss and we'll try to get to it when we can.

Wait....Wait.... Wait.... Its been stated over and over that they have already simplified the passing game for Kap. Are you saying they even went and simplified it further for this game?

If that's the case then they need to draft a QB within the top 3 picks this upcoming draft. There is no way that we should have to simplify the passing game any more at this point in his career. If he can't get a simplified passing game then its time to start looking elsewhere for our QB needs.

I hope I'm miss reading what your saying about the passing game and Kap.
In a complex game, the immediate demand of instant gratification always screw up the young stars.
Originally posted by 951NINER:
That bad huh? Can't even finish the opening statements?

Nah, more like - I had to go to a parade with the wifey and didn't have time to finish everything haha
Here's the first offensive play of the game. It was both from the offense and offensive in execution.

We're expecting man coverage - we get zone and Kap tries to force a play.

We'll start our in 21 Personnel and motion VD over to Boldin's side

This is really just a version of "spider 2 y banana". It's a play that Gruden pointed out on Monday night football. A lot of teams in the NFL run this play - it's an old Bill Walsh play. In Spider 2 Y banana, the FB is your primary target - used to beat man coverage. You'll get a natural pick motion out of VD and Boldin's route.

There's 2 things Kap has to know here.
1. When we motion VD across the formation - he should look at how the LB's shift. Because it's a single safety with a press on the single receiver side, it looks like man coverage. But, because of how the LB's shift when VD moves - it's not a man-coverage shift, it's a strong side shift for their defensive front. That indicates zone coverage. Really - Oakland pulls a play out of Seattle's book. They play cover 3 zone with man-coverage on the single receiver side.
2. because it's zone, with man on the backside - if he's going to throw the backside route, it has to be a timing route and he'll have to go to that route quickly in his progression.

We run a half hearted play action fake.

You can see that at this point - Kap has no pressure on him at all. Woodson is dropping back in his defensive coverage to help with VD underneath. This opens up Miller. It wouldn't be a big gain, but, it would be positive yards on first down.

Instead, he bails out to his single receiver side.

The safety never plays anything but expecting the receiver to head downfield.

Kap then throws the ball late and off his backfoot.

ends up with a pick. They tried to give CK a half field read and he tried to go to the backside - late and off a terrible platform.
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:

Wait....Wait.... Wait.... Its been stated over and over that they have already simplified the passing game for Kap. Are you saying they even went and simplified it further for this game?

If that's the case then they need to draft a QB within the top 3 picks this upcoming draft. There is no way that we should have to simplify the passing game any more at this point in his career. If he can't get a simplified passing game then its time to start looking elsewhere for our QB needs.

I hope I'm miss reading what your saying about the passing game and Kap.

What's funny is that there's a poster throwing out a theory that they simplified that passing game to make it easier for Roman.......

• Jd925
  • Veteran

Lol. And what makes you think the HaRoman pass offense was ever complex?

How often do you see Kap scan the entire field other than on broken plays in the past? What about in his half of 2012 and in 2013...what about your QB Alex Smith in 2011 and half of 2012? Did Smith scan the field on most of his plays when he was a starter? How sure are you about the comment 'plays they dialed up up that required full field reads'?
Here's the first offensive play of the game. It was both from the offense and offensive in execution.

We're expecting man coverage - we get zone and Kap tries to force a play.

We'll start our in 21 Personnel and motion VD over to Boldin's side

This is really just a version of "spider 2 y banana". It's a play that Gruden pointed out on Monday night football. A lot of teams in the NFL run this play - it's an old Bill Walsh play. In Spider 2 Y banana, the FB is your primary target - used to beat man coverage. You'll get a natural pick motion out of VD and Boldin's route.

There's 2 things Kap has to know here.
1. When we motion VD across the formation - he should look at how the LB's shift. Because it's a single safety with a press on the single receiver side, it looks like man coverage. But, because of how the LB's shift when VD moves - it's not a man-coverage shift, it's a strong side shift for their defensive front. That indicates zone coverage. Really - Oakland pulls a play out of Seattle's book. They play cover 3 zone with man-coverage on the single receiver side.
2. because it's zone, with man on the backside - if he's going to throw the backside route, it has to be a timing route and he'll have to go to that route quickly in his progression.

We run a half hearted play action fake.

You can see that at this point - Kap has no pressure on him at all. Woodson is dropping back in his defensive coverage to help with VD underneath. This opens up Miller. It wouldn't be a big gain, but, it would be positive yards on first down.

Instead, he bails out to his single receiver side.

The safety never plays anything but expecting the receiver to head downfield.

Kap then throws the ball late and off his backfoot.

ends up with a pick. They tried to give CK a half field read and he tried to go to the backside - late and off a terrible platform.

I guess it's kinda splitting hairs but I always thought spider y banana was a play pass off of a powerO run. The first play to me looks like a spot concept with some Playaction. None the less, spot like spider is a half field read i which the flat route is designed beat man coverage with the natural pick caused by the curl and along with the corner route creates the horizontal and vertical stretch triangle.

Whatever the interpretation, kap messed it up pretty bad. The play to made is concept side and it was there to be made. Not gonna lie, this play shocked me.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Dec 9, 2014 at 8:06 PM ]
I have been wondering what the players think of all of this. Every game they sit in the film room and break down each play over and over. What does the team think when play after play they see Kap making the wrong reads? What do they think when they wonder about the play calling? How do the defensive players feel when they see the offense just messing up simple concepts? Has the team lost confidence in Kap. They see all these plays broken down in film room. It has to be disheartening especially when it's his 4th year and things are regressing.

You would think they either lost confidence in Kap or they lost confidence in the ability of the coaches to put him in an offense that he could succeed in.

An offense that can't function and relies on the occasional great athletic play to get anything done is no offense at all.
Originally posted by Niners816:
I guess it's kinda splitting hairs but I always thought spider y banana was a play pass off of a powerO run. The first play to me looks like a spot concept with some Playaction. None the less, spot like spider is a half field read i which the flat route is designed beat man coverage with the natural pick caused by the curl and along with the corner route creates the horizontal and vertical stretch triangle.

Whatever the interpretation, kap messed it up pretty bad. The play to made is concept side and it was there to be made. Not gonna lie, this play shocked me.

kaep missed the same play again later if my memory serves me correctly (think they inverted the formation)
  • Jd925
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
I have been wondering what the players think of all of this. Every game they sit in the film room and break down each play over and over. What does the team think when play after play they see Kap making the wrong reads? What do they think when they wonder about the play calling? How do the defensive players feel when they see the offense just messing up simple concepts? Has the team lost confidence in Kap. They see all these plays broken down in film room. It has to be disheartening especially when it's his 4th year and things are regressing.

You would think they either lost confidence in Kap or they lost confidence in the ability of the coaches to put him in an offense that he could succeed in.

An offense that can't function and relies on the occasional great athletic play to get anything done is no offense at all.

What concepts are you talking about? What reads and progressions is every talking about out... I've yet to see consistent attempts at multiple reads and progressions since Alex Smith in 2011... so what makes you think it's even in the offense? I'll have to go back to the Alex Smith tapes, but I remember him being a 'one-read' QB too... but I've changed my perception of A. Smith after figuring out what HaRoman is all about.
Share 49ersWebzone