LISTEN: What's Stopping The 49ers From A Super Bowl Run? →

There are 108 users in the forums

St. Louis Rams week 9 coaches film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
Well fellas, there's the proof. Kap sucks at his presnap read. Seemed as if every time STL blitzed, Kaps first look was in the wrong direction. We had so many opportunities with jump balls vs man coverage.

Kap is dumb.

What I don't get is why we didn't just kick the field goal to tie the game
Originally posted by gbniner:

Eh it was third down. Go for the win.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by NCommand:
I thought it was the incorrect read from the start as well. Also, it was immediately AFTER a TO which to me, implies poor coaching/scheme unless the Rams disguised a coverage last second here and threw off CK's primary read. Obviously Crabtree was the primary read here given our M.O. So I don't like it...I'd prefer 1 of the 3 in the middle of the field as the primary read here giving you a better probablity of completion (Boldin/Davis/Hyde) esp. with S help over the top on both outside receivers. In fact, with the type of pressure we were getting all day, I'd instruct him to look to Crabtree first (if you HAD to call this play) and if he wasn't there immediately, quickly check down to Hyde here...which, as you can see, would have been a nice big gain if not a TD.

Woah man. How do you look at that and think it's the coaches' fault? Are they supposed to call the play and throw the ball to the open WR? There are four options to throw to on this play (5 if you count the check release by Hyde). It is up to Kap to read the actions of the safety and make the proper decision. This is the assignment of the QB when using the 4 Verticals concept. Crabs was probably the least proper decision. Fortunately, it was overthrown.

"I can't think of anything creative, so everyone just go deep." said Roman
Originally posted by T-9ers:
I thought it was the incorrect read from the start as well. Also, it was immediately AFTER a TO which to me, implies poor coaching/scheme unless the Rams disguised a coverage last second here and threw off CK's primary read. Obviously Crabtree was the primary read here given our M.O. So I don't like it...I'd prefer 1 of the 3 in the middle of the field as the primary read here giving you a better probablity of completion (Boldin/Davis/Hyde) esp. with S help over the top on both outside receivers. In fact, with the type of pressure we were getting all day, I'd instruct him to look to Crabtree first (if you HAD to call this play) and if he wasn't there immediately, quickly check down to Hyde here...which, as you can see, would have been a nice big gain if not a TD.

Woah man. How do you look at that and think it's the coaches' fault? Are they supposed to call the play and throw the ball to the open WR? There are four options to throw to on this play (5 if you count the check release by Hyde). It is up to Kap to read the actions of the safety and make the proper decision. This is the assignment of the QB when using the 4 Verticals concept. Crabs was probably the least proper decision. Fortunately, it was overthrown.

While I'm not one to defend Roman, I have no problem being aggressive here and attacking the end zone. We suck at punching it in. Players have to execute in situations like this.
Originally posted by VinculumJuris:
While I'm not one to defend Roman, I have no problem being aggressive here and attacking the end zone. We suck at punching it in. Players have to execute in situations like this.

We've used all verts several times in the last couple of years. The one that stick out in my mind is the 30+ yard TD strike to VD vs GB in the wild card game last year.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Nov 6, 2014 at 6:23 PM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
I actually had no issue with this play. Had he even seen him earlier, what is he going to do? There is no way a ILB (not even Willis or Bowman) is going to keep up with a clean, full-sprinting Britt here across the field and down the sideline from a stand-still postion. Also notice how perfect the timing of the play is called and the specific design itself...both Ward and Cully have their backs to the QB the entire time so Borland, for lack of a better term, could not "pass" Britt off to another defender once he crossed over to the sidelines. The top WR clears out the edge as well as Davis almost laughs when he's throwing this easy 7-yard pass for a TD...it was just a perfect call and the perfect time and well designed. Britt didn't even have to use the ref as a blocker! LOL.

I wish we would run more underneath designs like this. So simple, yet effective....get a LB on isolation on Boldin, Crabtree, Johnson, VD, etc. running full speed across the field? f*getaboutit!

This was just a great design and call altogether. Either way, if Borland anticipated the drag correctly and jumped to for the cover and no throw, Bathae was in a bind himself to cover the middle curl or the RB into the flat. Strong gain for STL either way.

Yup, sometimes a great call at the right time will burn you so you just have to tip your hat on that one. Borland will obviously learn from it but damn, again, what's he going to do differently here? Trip him? Shove the ref into him? LMAO

I certainly have no issues taking a shot...I love it actually...but to Crabtree in the corner of the EZ with a 2% chance of being completed in that window with over-the-top S help? I'd consider dialing up another play personally...or at least make someone else the primary read esp. after a T.O. and plenty of time to make a call AND coach up CK on it. That's your best shot after a T.O.?

I certainly have no issues taking a shot...I love it actually...but to Crabtree in the corner of the EZ with a 2% chance of being completed in that window with over-the-top S help? I'd consider dialing up another play personally...or at least make someone else the primary read esp. after a T.O. and plenty of time to make a call AND coach up CK on it. That's your best shot after a T.O.?

I agree that forcing it to Crab there is the wrong decision. I'm not convinced that he was the primary read or that it was the coach's decision vs. Kap's decision.

Can't tell from the gif, but it looks like Kap is reading left to right and chucked it up to Crab after scanning the field. Not sure what he saw that made him think it was the correct throw. Certainly a possibility that he was mechanically following instructions from the coaches ("look left to hold the safety, then hit Crab in the corner"). If that's the case, he didn't actually read anything, as the safety was not fooled...
I agree that forcing it to Crab there is the wrong decision. I'm not convinced that he was the primary read or that it was the coach's decision vs. Kap's decision.

Can't tell from the gif, but it looks like Kap is reading left to right and chucked it up to Crab after scanning the field. Not sure what he saw that made him think it was the correct throw. Certainly a possibility that he was mechanically following instructions from the coaches ("look left to hold the safety, then hit Crab in the corner"). If that's the case, he didn't actually read anything, as the safety was not fooled...

Yeah, it's a bit hard to tell but it looks like he's looking forward to fake the handoff to Hyde and then chucked it up there at 2 seconds (which means he probably already had his mind made up)...right or wrong...primary or not...pre-snap/pre-huddle or not. Who knows. But given how often we call this shot here, I'm leaning more towards the play call and I'm praying CK isn't this incompetent. Pray with me! B/c if he IS...well...

Yeah, it's a bit hard to tell but it looks like he's looking forward to fake the handoff to Hyde and then chucked it up there at 2 seconds (which means he probably already had his mind made up)...right or wrong...primary or not...pre-snap/pre-huddle or not. Who knows. But given how often we call this shot here, I'm leaning more towards the play call and I'm praying CK isn't this incompetent. Pray with me! B/c if he IS...well...

Yeah you may be right man.

If that's a pre-snap decision / play design, it's similar to the last pass in the NFCCG. Kap chucking it up to Crab without making a read. I'm fine with that read being his starting point, but I wish he would take a second to make the read and see that Crab is covered. He had a pocket to climb and had guys open all over the field. If the coaches aren't allowing him to throw it to anyone else in that situation, then we might as well just kick field goals any time we cross the 50. If Kap actually made that read and decided to pull the trigger there, we're screwed. Lose-lose.
Yeah you may be right man.

If that's a pre-snap decision / play design, it's similar to the last pass in the NFCCG. Kap chucking it up to Crab without making a read. I'm fine with that read being his starting point, but I wish he would take a second to make the read and see that Crab is covered. He had a pocket to climb and had guys open all over the field. If the coaches aren't allowing him to throw it to anyone else in that situation, then we might as well just kick field goals any time we cross the 50. If Kap actually made that read and decided to pull the trigger there, we're screwed. Lose-lose.

Yeah I noted earlier that even if it was a pre snap decision or design he can still see Crabtree is not ahead of the CB at the 2 second mark so if he is "free" here, that is the time to pull it down and instantly hit your check down. That he doesn't so often? Has to be coaching after all this time. Like a batting coach instructing a hitter to take the 1st pitch or when to bunt, hit-n-run or hit through the gap to the right. The patterns just seem too salient to me. Hope I'm wrong though!
Damn the short middle was wide open. Not the time to take a shot.
Originally posted by gbniner:

Eh it was third down. Go for the win.

We went for the win with the throw to crabtree. It didn't work, should have kicked the field goal as time expired
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
lol, everyone except crabtree was open.
Share 49ersWebzone