LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 361 users in the forums

New offensive coordinator

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
^^^ Good debate guys!

It is a really good debate. It just goes to show that two people that have obviously watched a lot of football can have a difference in opinions on something that happen almost 20 years ago

I will grant him this though, GB won a title in 2010 essentially ignoring the run, so I think the league had gone more of the way of trestman. However in 1995, I did not like it. It was basically a run and shoot ratio and we know how successful that was in winning titles.

I do think trestman, filtered by Harbs could be a really good mix. Sort of like when vermeil had reins on martz.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Nov 4, 2014 at 8:18 AM ]
Trestman would be interesting, I wonder if we have the personal for him though? I would like a more uptempo offense like Philly runs....simple plays at a faster pace.

On another note: Roman just doesn't make adjustments and it was apparent last game. The line was getting blasted and he was still calling 5 and 7 step drop backs! Their corners are not great and our WRs are good at get YAC, so why not throw some quick passes to avoid the pressure and let the play makers make plays? I'm not the most savvy person when it comes to x's and o's, but that seems to make sense to me lol.

I mentioned Pat Shumur or Pep Hamilton??
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Trestman would be interesting, I wonder if we have the personal for him though? I would like a more uptempo offense like Philly runs....simple plays at a faster pace.

On another note: Roman just doesn't make adjustments and it was apparent last game. The line was getting blasted and he was still calling 5 and 7 step drop backs! Their corners are not great and our WRs are good at get YAC, so why not throw some quick passes to avoid the pressure and let the play makers make plays? I'm not the most savvy person when it comes to x's and o's, but that seems to make sense to me lol.

Look at the Raiders in 2002. Not really a whole lot of speed threats but top notch possession receivers. Gannon was lighting it up in an era that wasn't nearly as passer friendly.
  • thl408
Norv Turner
Todd Haley
Hue Jackson
Pep Hamilton

Not sure why any of these guys would move laterally. Not sure any one of these guys would want to coach for Jim (maybe Hue).
Originally posted by thl408:
Norv Turner
Todd Haley
Hue Jackson
Pep Hamilton

Not sure why any of these guys would move laterally. Not sure any one of these guys would want to coach for Jim (maybe Hue).

Pass on Haley, he's pretty bad and everyone ends up hating him pretty much wherever he goes.
Originally posted by Niners816:
^^^ Good debate guys!

It is a really good debate. It just goes to show that two people that have obviously watched a lot of football can have a difference in opinions on something that happen almost 20 years ago

I will grant him this though, GB won a title in 2010 essentially ignoring the run, so I think the league had gone more of the way of trestman. However in 1995, I did not like it. It was basically a run and shoot ratio and we know how successful that was in winning titles.

I do think trestman, filtered by Harbs could be a really good mix. Sort of like when vermeil had reins on martz.
It's a WCO too as well...could be very interesting to visualize. I just can't imagine the OC position being THE top job next year that coaches would be lining up for esp. if Harbaugh has to stay out of the picture (assuming he's here with us).
It's a WCO too as well...could be very interesting to visualize. I just can't imagine the OC position being THE top job next year that coaches would be lining up for esp. if Harbaugh has to stay out of the picture (assuming he's here with us).

If we are gonna go with a niner OC retread I'll take Marty morrnhieg. Led our greatest statistical WCO team in 1998 and has usually had a nice run game accompanying his pass game. I'm sure he will be available after the season.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Look at the Raiders in 2002. Not really a whole lot of speed threats but top notch possession receivers. Gannon was lighting it up in an era that wasn't nearly as passer friendly.

True! Trestman knows how to put points on the board! No way we should be ranked 18th in total offense with the players we have...I get that the Oline is playing horrible, but so has Philly's and they are ranked 4th!

I forgot he was the OC for the Raiders when Harbs with there...It's official I'm on the Trestman bandwagon lol. I doubt he gets fired this year though.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
I know some great High School coaches in the Central Valley.... apparently, that's a highly regarded qualification.
Originally posted by Niners816:

If we are gonna go with a niner OC retread I'll take Marty morrnhieg. Led our greatest statistical WCO team in 1998 and has usually had a nice run game accompanying his pass game. I'm sure he will be available after the season.

That's a good pitch, for sure!

Originally posted by Geeked:
I know some great High School coaches in the Central Valley.... apparently, that's a highly regarded qualification.

I hope they teach calculus or something harder to figure out than geometry
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by znk916:
Originally posted by Geeked:

I hope they teach calculus or something harder to figure out than geometry

Naw, they teach them how to keep their jobs in a highly competitive environment; absent of nepotism. Which is a HUGE leg up on Roman.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I'd roll the dice and give it Tom Rathman.. the guy will not take any BS from any players... he knows hard work... he was the one who told the coaching staff to either get rid of Lawrence Phillips or he walks..

I see T-Rath with Bill Walsh's mind for playcalling and Bill Parcells "No BS" excuses.. if you can't catch the ball, if you slip and ran the wrong route, then you do that on the bench... if you get stupid on the field and can cost us the game, the only warning you get is "you're going home for good, and i'm just lettin you know that"..
Originally posted by 9moon:
I'd roll the dice and give it Tom Rathman.. the guy will not take any BS from any players... he knows hard work... he was the one who told the coaching staff to either get rid of Lawrence Phillips or he walks..

I see T-Rath with Bill Walsh's mind for playcalling and Bill Parcells "No BS" excuses.. if you can't catch the ball, if you slip and ran the wrong route, then you do that on the bench... if you get stupid on the field and can cost us the game, the only warning you get is "you're going home for good, and i'm just lettin you know that"..

Being tough doesn't make you a good offensive coordinator, that same logic indicates that Singletary should be a tremendous defensive coordinator. It doesn't mean you are excellent with X's and O's as well as situational adjustments. Most of the top OC's in the NFL are short chubby guys that don't look like they've played a single snap of football in their lives. You need to have the mind of a Chess champion, to counter what the defense is doing, to adjust, to be able to call the right plays at the right time....etc, there's no guarantee that Rathman is that guy. Tony Sparano is really tough, but I don't want him calling the offense either.
Re: 1995 - Don't forget that William Floyd was lost halfway through the season, and he was a big part of what made the run game in 1994 successful.
[ Edited by captveg on Nov 4, 2014 at 10:02 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone