There are 98 users in the forums

Realistic Playoff Chances

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Actually, the Cards are "skating" on our luck under Harbaugh's first year... seems like every balls are bouncing their way..

10-6 I fully believe, but would that be enuff??
  • dj43
Originally posted by English:
Going 7-2 from here on in should be perfectly doable if we continue to get our starters back. It is all on the health of our players. If they continue to drop like flies we are, of course, finished for the year. As would any team be.

I'm not sure how doable it is but 7-2 should make the playoffs.

So far this team has not shown the consistency on either side of the ball that look like it could get into the playoffs, much less go deep. Of course, as you note, injuries are always the key to success. Getting back three All Pro linebackers will make a HUGE difference.

My greater concern is the continued failure of the offense to maintain a modicum of success against better teams. In short, we stink offensively, specifically the passing game.
Realistic playoff chances....are diminishing. Just too much upheaval, injury, playcalling problems...no need to say more.
I think the offense will be on point from here on out. All we need is our oline to get in rhythm and stay healthy.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
I think the offense will be on point from here on out. All we need is our oline to get in rhythm and stay healthy.

I'm sorry, what possible reason would that be?.. The offense has shown to be hot/cold since the beginning of Kap/Harbs era. Doesn't matter who people put the blame on, it doesn't change the fact that they've given no reason to just 'magically' turn it around. They have all the talent in the world and still cannot execute.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:

As you see above, you can always count on ratchoke or some other like-minded fan to rush headlong to their keyboards in an ongoing attempt to crush any optimism or hope a Niner fan might have. Why? Who knows? They'll pat themselves on the back proudly proclaiming themselves to be "realists" and not "homers" as if either term has some substantial meaning regarding events which have yet to happen and are almost impossible to predict.
Originally posted by crake49:
As you see above, you can always count on ratchoke or some other like-minded fan to rush headlong to their keyboards in an ongoing attempt to crush any optimism or hope a Niner fan might have. Why? Who knows? They'll pat themselves on the back proudly proclaiming themselves to be "realists" and not "homers" as if either term has some substantial meaning regarding events which have yet to happen and are almost impossible to predict.

I'm sorry, I'm still waiting for any particular stat, personnel change, offensive philosophy change, ANYTHING, to suggest that they'd somehow just turn it around. However, I can OPTIMISTICALLY suggest, with reason, that the defense will improve. Why?... Because, Aldon will be back w/in two games, Brock will have had a week to get back into the swing of things, Glen Dorsey seems to be making a return, and Bowman is nearly healthy enough to return as well. See how that works?.....An statement supported by 'facts'. Yes, it's a hard concept to understand for the interwebs and homers of the world of any fanbase.
[ Edited by ratchoke on Oct 28, 2014 at 2:25 PM ]
Originally posted by ratchoke:
I'm sorry, I'm still waiting for any particular stat, personnel change, offensive philosophy change, ANYTHING, to suggest that they'd somehow just turn it around. However, I can OPTIMISTICALLY suggest, with reason, that the defense will improve. Why?... Because, Aldon will be back w/in two games, Brock will have had a week to get back into the swing of things, Glen Dorsey seems to be making a return, and Bowman is nearly healthy enough to return as well. See how that works?.....An statement supported by 'facts'. Yes, it's a hard concept to understand for the interwebs and homers of the world of any fanbase.

Bottom line: you are absolutely awesome! Congratulations on being so awesome!

Way to avoid the question and point. And thank you.

Hey now. Let's not forget about Patrick Willis!

I think we are looking at a wild card. The Cardinals are winning way too many games. We have a long road on the road. We also might not make it at all. If Seattle starts winning more and the Cardinals continue to win. It's very hard for 3 teams from the same division to make it. I'm not saying that those scenarios will happen. But if they did it's possible we don't make it. Just a lot of things lined up badly for us this year. Too many injuries and suspensions to key players. Yeah maybe some of them will come back. But we are down in the standings with some losses stacked on us already. That effects the seeding big time. It's hard to be at this point in the season with 3 losses and figure anything less than 6 losses. We would have to go on a heck of a run to finish 11 - 5 IMO. We would have to play well for 10 - 6. If we stumble we are looking at 9 - 7 or worse. It's hard to say where guys will be at when the come back. Some may not be healthy fully. Some may be rusty. Overall the offense has not impressed me that much this year despite having more guys fully healthy. The O Line has been beat up of course. But the offense was supposed to carry us this year for the first half. I'm just not seeing it. At no point in the season have we looked like one of the best 4 - 5 teams IMO.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I think we are looking at a wild card. The Cardinals are winning way too many games. We have a long road on the road. We also might not make it at all. If Seattle starts winning more and the Cardinals continue to win. It's very hard for 3 teams from the same division to make it. I'm not saying that those scenarios will happen. But if they did it's possible we don't make it. Just a lot of things lined up badly for us this year. Too many injuries and suspensions to key players. Yeah maybe some of them will come back. But we are down in the standings with some losses stacked on us already. That effects the seeding big time. It's hard to be at this point in the season with 3 losses and figure anything less than 6 losses. We would have to go on a heck of a run to finish 11 - 5 IMO. We would have to play well for 10 - 6. If we stumble we are looking at 9 - 7 or worse. It's hard to say where guys will be at when the come back. Some may not be healthy fully. Some may be rusty. Overall the offense has not impressed me that much this year despite having more guys fully healthy. The O Line has been beat up of course. But the offense was supposed to carry us this year for the first half. I'm just not seeing it. At no point in the season have we looked like one of the best 4 - 5 teams IMO.

you are tripping on acid if you think we are out of the race after only 8 games.
You are tripping on acid if you believe the 49ers will allow any player to come back onto the field without being a hundred percent healthy. Stop being so pessimistic and look at the reality. the Niners have 4 division games left and can really go on a run.

I don't understand why you cant mention anything positive about the team in your findings because you never said anything about the softer schedule that the 49ers are going to come up against here real soon, you just mention how wonderful the Cardinals are and that we have taken too many injuries. Our players are coming back and the 49ers know what they got to do to get back to the playoffs because of the experience.

don't let the experience factor fool you.
[ Edited by SFL49ER on Oct 28, 2014 at 3:11 PM ]

Way to avoid the question and point. And thank you.

I've already made my point for what it's worth (hint: not much). It was more an observation than a point. I just think it's interesting that any kernel of optimism posed by a given Niner fan tends to fire up some posters who rush to their keyboards in an aggressive effort to convince the fan that the optimism is misplaced. And, my general question is what's the deal with that? No offense. You're not alone.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

you are tripping on acid if you think we are out of the race after only 8 games.
You are tripping on acid if you believe the 49ers will allow any player to come back onto the field without being a hundred percent healthy. Stop being so pessimistic and look at the reality. the Niners have 4 division games left and can really go on a run.

I don't understand why you cant mention anything positive about the team in your findings because you never said anything about the softer schedule that the 49ers are going to come up against here real soon, you just mention how wonderful the Cardinals are and that we have taken too many injuries. Our players are coming back and the 49ers know what they got to do to get back to the playoffs because of the experience.

don't let the experience factor fool you.

We can make it but we also might not. That's all I suggested. We aren't looking at 13 - 3 for the #1 seed. Something in that range will probably be the #1 seed. And we aren't it. We had too bad of a first half of the season. For a variety of reasons.
I've already made my point for what it's worth (hint: not much). It was more an observation than a point. I just think it's interesting that any kernel of optimism posed by a given Niner fan tends to fire up some posters who rush to their keyboards in an aggressive effort to convince the fan that the optimism is misplaced. And, my general question is what's the deal with that? No offense. You're not alone.

There are countless 'optimistic' post that I agree with....Unfortunately, not many people post REASONABLE optimism, such as the defense coming back to full strength, and improving. Instead, it's misplaced optimism that Kap and Co. will turn into some high power offense out of no where. But reality is, we're still going to be left with more excuses and a barely top 20 offense.... I mean come on, if they can't do it w/ this offense personnel, they're not going to do anytime soon.
Share 49ersWebzone