LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 323 users in the forums

Settle down guys, we lost, it was bound to happen, 49ers are and will be fine

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by theduke85:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Not just a scrappy team - an injured team. We were at home with a 17 point lead. This is a very big deal and it's time to call a spade a spade; there is something fundamentally wrong with the coaching.
Colin Kaepernick turned the ball over FOUR times. When was the last time you've seen a team win with a -4 turnover differential? It doesn't matter how bad the coaching allegedly was, none of it would've mattered if Kaepernick hadn't played so abysmally. Let's not make this out to be a bigger problem than it is. Our quarterback was horrendous, if he was even decent this would've been a blow out.

Another thing 2 point out, all 3 INTs, were fantastic plays by the Bears secondary. I'm not trying 2 make excuses, Kaep shouldn't have turned the ball over, especially not 4 damn times, but those were incredible plays. Another thing being overlooked IMO, P.Cox dropped 3 INTs, imagine if he hauls those in.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 16to87:
Originally posted by Baldie:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Seattle lost to a good team on the road and they didn't get embarrassed. We lost at home to a scrappy team and We looked like a s**tty team with a rookie HC and QB

This game meant 2 things in my opinion:
  1. A win in our brand new stadium showed the league that no one will beat us in our own house. Well instead showed the league we can be beaten at home and the crowd is no help. It appeared to me the Bears offense was able to communicate normally.
  2. A win over the Bears would have solidified that the win in Dallas wasn't just against a mediocre team.
3. It would have gave us a 1 game lead on dem cawks
Exactly! I watched that game and the Chargers had the perfect game plan to beat the Hawks.
What did the posts look like after week 3 of last year? We had got blown out in Seattle, and we were manhandled by the Colts. Kaepernick looked awful in both games (20.1 rating in week 2, 40.9 rating in week 3). People are going to blow this loss our of proportion for sure, but last year we were fine, and this year we'll be fine again.

Sometimes players have bad games. Sometimes teams are undisciplined. People need to accept the fact that both of those things happen sometimes, instead extrapolating these into deep-rooted problems with our coaching staff or players.

Thank you good sir. For me, it's exciting to know that sometime around mid season, we're also going to get Bowman, Aldon and Dorsey on D. And I really think we'll see Lattimore also. We have a lot of new "toys" on offense & the OL hasn't been together yet (meaning all projected starters healthy & playing together) we'll be fine & continue to get better as the season progresses.
Originally posted by matt49er:
Another thing 2 point out, all 3 INTs, were fantastic plays by the Bears secondary. I'm not trying 2 make excuses, Kaep shouldn't have turned the ball over, especially not 4 damn times, but those were incredible plays. Another thing being overlooked IMO, P.Cox dropped 3 INTs, imagine if he hauls those in.
Right, the diving interception by the safety was great -- more often than not that probably falls for an incompletion. The first pick by Fuller looked like a complete fluke, it was basically a Calvin Johnson one-handed catch. I bet 90% of the time both of those first two picks fall for an incomplete pass.
Originally posted by BobS:
Screw relaxing, it wasn't a typical loss. We were up 17-0, at home and totally dominating both sides of the ball. The Bears lost 5 defensive players and had receivers that were obviously hobbled. All of a sudden Martin can't block anybody, Cutler has all day to pass, and our defense can't seem to stop extending Bear drives with stupid penalties. Kaepernick is either getting sacked or throwing interceptions. It wasn't your typical loss, and it sucked big time.

I would be curious to know how many times we ran the ball after we had the lead. It seems we got away from who we are because we have some more weapons in the passing game. It's was like a girl who just got a boob job and wanted to show everyone without realizing she's embarrassing herself.
Right, the diving interception by the safety was great -- more often than not that probably falls for an incompletion. The first pick by Fuller looked like a complete fluke, it was basically a Calvin Johnson one-handed catch. I bet 90% of the time both of those first two picks fall for an incomplete pass.

This will sound wimpy but thank you guys for confirming my rational here, good to know not all of us 49er fans are going insane over one loss
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:
Screw relaxing, it wasn't a typical loss. We were up 17-0, at home and totally dominating both sides of the ball. The Bears lost 5 defensive players and had receivers that were obviously hobbled. All of a sudden Martin can't block anybody, Cutler has all day to pass, and our defense can't seem to stop extending Bear drives with stupid penalties. Kaepernick is either getting sacked or throwing interceptions. It wasn't your typical loss, and it sucked big time.

It's amazing how everything was a penalty against the 49ers after it started to look like a blowout on national TV, again
the Niners will win the Division. As to what happens after...don't know ?

This will sound wimpy but thank you guys for confirming my rational here, good to know not all of us 49er fans are going insane over one loss

This^^^

if conte didnt go for the int he would've had a direct killshot on anquan so strong because Kap stared him down the whole way

We will be fine. we played like complete crap and still should have won the game easily. kap had the worst night of his life roman had a horrible game and we still were a missed completion away from a 2 point conversion to tie the game.

things have to change philosophy wise on both sides of the ball though.
there can be no more cruise control until there is no time left. we need to KILL opponents and not play with our food.
when you play with your food sometimes..like last night, it gets away.
Originally posted by Baldie:
But to lose at home on opening night of your new stadium, that was the dagger right there. Had this been on the road, its a different feeling.

That's the funny thing with feelings. They go away eventually. I could honestly care less whether this was at home or on the road. Even during the glory years, the 49ers in my opinion were never a great home team.

To the original poster, I love the points that were made. I don't understand giving Bruce Miller the ball. Particularly to pick up a key first down. I like Bruce Miller catching dump off passes out of the backfield and being the 5th option in our passing offense,

I think our coordinators have too quick of a hook with our rookies. If they don't make a mistake or aren't producing immediately, their opportunities are cut. Whether it be Dial with his shoulder to the ribs on Jay Cutler or Hyde not producing in the running game. We've got to keep playing the young guys. That is the only way they are going to learn. At this point, unless Aaron Lynch is terrible against the run, I think it's time he and Lemonier split their snaps behind Dan Skuta. With Jimmy Ward, I saw him as a slot CB that would cover the Victor Cruz type of receivers. Not the Brandon Marshall's. The 49ers will need a plan to help Ward when he is that overmatched in terms of size again with the slot receiver.

I think Jonathan Martin played a fine game until the second half. It just seemed like the Bears were in a zone. I won't single him out. I do hope that Anthony Davis is back in the starting lineup again next week. Iupati definitely will be gone. But if he keeps stringing together poor games, we won't get that 3rd round comp pick I was so sure we'd snag with the FA deal he was sure to land. Could it be that he has peaked as a player?

I think perhaps the most important thing is that the 49ers get themselves cleaned up on offense in terms of penalties. If they can do that on offense, I doubt a team will beat them. Kap's interceptions don't bother me because he doesn't put together back to back multiple interception games. He will be back. The only other area for improvement would be a better mixture of passes and runs with our play calling. I like that they started out trying to establish the pass since the Bears were geared on stopping the run, but as the game wore on.

On defense, it's the same thing. We have to clean up the penalties. We are also going to have to get creative to generate a pass rush. I've accepted the fact that our front four is not the front four we had in 2011. Quite frankly, we haven't played to that level since 2011. They are still very good, but they as a group are not going to destroy anyone, and that's even with Aldon Smith in the lineup. We need more of Tank and Dial because Justin Smith can't get it done alone. If Ray McDonald is indeed innocent, I hope he remains with the 49ers (I originally was in favor of releasing him solely for the cap savings after this season, innocent or not). he is still good against the run, but we need get get more help with the pass rush from the D-line. The point I made earlier about getting Lynch in there more would help as well.

As for Bruce Ellington, I'm still waiting for the 49ers to use him on a deep passing play. We've got to take more shots down the field.
  • HERN
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Yes it sucks to lose the 1st game ever at Levi's but this team will be fine. People need to relax

It's the way that we lost that gets me all fired up. Im not expecting to go undefeated. but what I'am expecting is for this team that has a 17-0 lead to put the team away, regardless whether it's at home or not.
Great sentiment, but the way they lost was horrific. Giving up a 17 point lead at home, ZERO pass rush, 16 penalties, four turnovers by Kaep, a chance to go one up on the Seahawks and keep pace with the Cards, plus being in the national spotlight in our new stadium is too much to just dismiss. The "they will just be fine" argument doesn't hold up IMO.

This team has to survive at least 6 more weeks of this current roster before the reinforcements arrive. I am not overly optimistic especially headed to play Arizona next week.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Sure Kap was bad, but I'm sorry coaches are responsible for the team. This is why coaches are hired and fired because they are ultimately responsible for the team's performance overall and to make the argument "this would have been a blowout" without the 4 TO is dubious at best. You're assuming we would have scored TDs or even FGs on each of those possessions and that historically hasn't been proven. The same problems are there from last season and the season before that - the 49ers can't score TDs on offensive possessions where they aren't given short fields by their defense (turnover). Check the stats.
Let's take a look at a couple of the turnovers:

1st-and-10 from Chicago's 30-yard line, Kaepernick ran for 4 yards and then fumbled the ball. The Bears recovered. What are the chances we score at least a field goal when it's 2-and-6 from the Chicago 26? Very likely that we add at least three points there (possibly more, but our Red Zone offense sucks sometimes so let's not guarantee a touchdown). Would the 49ers have kicked a field goal if it weren't for the fumble? Probably, but the turnover guaranteed they wouldn't score.

1st-and-10 from San Francisco 22-yard line. Kaepernick throws a pick, Kyle Fuller returns it to the San Francisco 6. Personal foul adds half the distance to the goal. Chicago starts on our 3-yard line and scores on the ensuing play. Even if the 49ers didn't score on that drive, the interception basically guaranteed a score. Let's say the 49ers went 3-and-out and punted and Chicago started from their own 30-yard line. Would the Bears have scored if the 49ers punted instead of throwing the interception? Possibly, but the turnover virtually guaranteed the Bears would score.

Look at historical data of win percentage as it relates to turnovers. Teams that are +1 in turnover differential within a game win something like 70% of the time. Winning a game with a -4 turnover differential is astronomically unlikely. This is not on the coaching staff. It's on Kaepernick.
[ Edited by theduke85 on Sep 15, 2014 at 10:03 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone