LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 322 users in the forums

Predict the 7 inactive players for *Week 2*

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This is just a product of who we play and given the fact that we'll probably be in the Nickle 70+% today and will need to bring rotational heat from the OLB's.
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
Per CSN Bay Area

49ers Inactives 
QB Josh Johnson 
WB Quinton Patton 
CB Chris Cook 
DL Tank Carradine 
DL Quinton Dial 
T Anthony Davis 
G Marcus Martin

No idea why Cook is inactive... but whatever.

Cook doesn't make much sense either as he's the #3 outside CB... so that means they are seeing Cox as their #3. This coaching staff only trusts is known products (good or bad)...Dobbs and TJE over Tank and Dial and Cox over Cook. Same 'ol.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Cook doesn't make much sense either as he's the #3 outside CB... so that means they are seeing Cox as their #3. This coaching staff only trusts is known products (good or bad)...Dobbs and TJE over Tank and Dial and Cox over Cook. Same 'ol.

I don't really see why it's surprising, Fangio is pretty damn conservative with personnel and will always go with guys who are more familiar and experienced with the scheme.
Hence why I was saying there was no way TJE sits. coaching doesnt see Dial as a future NT, but rather LE (Dorsey signing says as much too)
couple it with the fact Fangio is very reluctant to sub in players, and we have what we have

with that said, happy about Cook not seeing the field. guy's a bum imo and none of the picks he made in the preseason change that viewpoint of mine,

picks in general and especially in this era are overrated, consistent coverage ability is >>>>. and cook has very poor coverage ability.
[ Edited by the_dynasty on Sep 7, 2014 at 12:53 PM ]
Wow I was way off. Both Dial and Tank inactive? I'm sure it won't be like that week 2 but it's still surprising.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Cook had solid coverage in the preseason despite his picks. Also, Dontae Johnson, a rookie is active, so that throws out the inexperience theory. Just think we have a deep roster and a lot of guys that would be active on other teams are not on ours.

it does not throw out the inexperience theory
cook and dontae johhnson have exactly the same experience in Fangio's scheme.

if cook spent last year on the roster, you would have a point.
Cook has NFL experience. He was great this preseason. So was Johnson. Good for Johnson to earn an active spot. That doesn't imply Cook is the suxors.

I clearly stated in my post that Fangio trusts guys who know HIS system and have experience in HIS system.

I also clearly stated that I personally think Cook sucks, and it did not have anything to do with Johnson or Fangio. He sucked in Minny and I didn't see anything in preseason to dissolve that notion. One of his picks came after he was beaten on a double move and qb simply threw behind the WR
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Cook had solid coverage in the preseason despite his picks. Also, Dontae Johnson, a rookie is active, so that throws out the inexperience theory. Just think we have a deep roster and a lot of guys that would be active on other teams are not on ours.

it does not throw out the inexperience theory
cook and dontae johhnson have exactly the same experience in Fangio's scheme.

if cook spent last year on the roster, you would have a point.

Cook has NFL experience. He was great this preseason. So was Johnson. Good for Johnson to earn an active spot. That doesn't imply Cook is the suxors.

Yeah, theory makes zero sense AND throws our CB under the bus. Nice. Hawk fan with 24 posts?

Either way, super excited about Johnson. They probably see Cox as the #3 who can also play the slot in case Ward got hurt and Johnson as the #4 should an outside CB go down (cough, Culliver, cough). I figured Cook would be given that nod d/t his experience but I'm excited for Johnson!
BTW: What is UP with Gabbert. Why is this guy STILL getting a pass over Johnson? If CK goes down, we're going to to do nothing but 3-step drops all game?
So stupid that Dobbs is active. Between Miller, Carrier, Skuta, Lemonier, Wilhoite, Borland, Moody, D. Johnson, Cox, McCray, Ward, and Dahl, we got plenty of special teamers.
I don't really see why it's surprising, Fangio is pretty damn conservative with personnel and will always go with guys who are more familiar and experienced with the scheme.
Hence why I was saying there was no way TJE sits. coaching doesnt see Dial as a future NT, but rather LE (Dorsey signing says as much too)
couple it with the fact Fangio is very reluctant to sub in players, and we have what we have

with that said, happy about Cook not seeing the field. guy's a bum imo and none of the picks he made in the preseason change that viewpoint of mine,

picks in general and especially in this era are overrated, consistent coverage ability is >>>>. and cook has very poor coverage ability.

dude this is an excellent post

Originally posted by matt49er:

If its all about coverage ability, Morris was alot better than Cook in that regard. So how come he (Morris) didn't make the team over Cook?
[ Edited by Frisco69ers on Sep 7, 2014 at 8:10 PM ]
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

If its all about coverage ability, Morris was alot better than Cook in that regard. So how come he (Morris) didn't make the team over Cook?

Good press corner? I dunno about considering Cook any kind of ball-hawk though, he has 0 interceptions in 4 years.
I don't know how to change the thread title, but since we were all so shocked about the inactives this week, I immediately question whether or not they will change in week 2. I do think NC is onto something about this weeks lineup being matchup specific, we'll see soon enough. Anyway, I think the front 7 did a much better job in the 2nd half, but we need more push, so I do believe Dial and or Tank will be active next week. I also think that w/the injuries at CB (although I think all 3 will play next week) we'll see Cook active.

Here's my best guess for next week:

QB Josh Johnson
WR Quinton Patton
T Anthony Davis
G Marcus Martin
OL D.Farrell
DL TJE or Dobbs: I'm not leaning either way, just think one of them will sit, if forced 2 guess, TJE due to Dobbs ST play & ability to play TE if needed
TE D.Carrier: I know the Niners like him, but now our LS can play TE if needed, we're using more WRs, if Dobbs is active he can also play TE in a pinch
[ Edited by matt49er on Sep 7, 2014 at 8:18 PM ]
I don't know how to change the thread title, but since we were all so shocked about the inactives this week, I immediately question whether or not they will change in week 2. I do think NC is onto something about this weeks lineup being matchup specific, we'll see soon enough. Anyway, I think the front 7 did a much better job in the 2nd half, but we need more push, so I do believe Dial and or Tank will be active next week. I also think that w/the injuries at CB (although I think all 3 will play next week) we'll see Cook active.

Here's my best guess for next week:

QB Josh Johnson
WR Quinton Patton
T Anthony Davis
G Marcus Martin
OL D.Farrell
DL TJE or Dobbs: I'm not leaning either way, just think one of them will sit
TE D.Carrier: I know the Niners like him, but now our LS can play TE if needed, we're using more WRs, if Dobbs is active he can also play TE in a pinch

If Davis and Farrell and Martin are inactive then only one healthy sub on the o-line. I don't think so.

Do you think Fangio's reluctance to sub players be a detriment to the D line in the future? I believe he only subbed in Dorsey and Eddie last year because of injury not by design. I'm hoping Tank, Dial and Lynch get some significant snaps late in the season.
Share 49ersWebzone