LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 339 users in the forums

Mic'd Up: WR Coach John Morton

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Wrathman:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
So did I. I should have looked at his coaching staff photo on 49ers.com http://www.49ers.com/team/coaches/john-morton/35142cf0-80c3-413e-8e44-cd78fbfdabf5

LOL!
All this time you thought it was Johnnie Morton the old Lion's receiver?

Fan card revoked
I have watched a lot of football throughout the years and I assumed when I first heard the guys name mentioned as the WR coach a couple seasons ago I figured he was the ex WR. I should have known better but I never saw his face until now. I also didn't know how a guy that spent so much time catching balls in the NFL would have a hard time teaching guys to produce. Now I have gained a bit of insight at the position. I hope we have just had bad players and not bad coaches. Anyway we got Boldin and Lloyd helping teach guys now
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
This guy will be good in a year or two. He better buy Boldin, Crabs, SJ and Lloyda nice expensive Christmas gifts for all the lessons / veteran leadership they will be giving him!

AND yeah, we prolly would've been better off with "Johnnie Morton" as WR coach http://www.sherdog.com/pictures/gallery/fighter/f_21783/44848/
[ Edited by LVJay on Jul 4, 2014 at 5:28 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
Holy crap. All this time, I thought the WR coach was this guy. Derp

http://www.nfl.com/player/johnniemorton/2502213/careerstats

this guy?

Mic'd Up???

He coached like he's liquored up.

He's by FAR the weakest link on the coaching staff.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
"He coached like he's liquored up."

LOL!!! He was kinda weak
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Worst WR coach ever.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Wrathman:
So did I. I should have looked at his coaching staff photo on 49ers.com http://www.49ers.com/team/coaches/john-morton/35142cf0-80c3-413e-8e44-cd78fbfdabf5

LOL!
All this time you thought it was Johnnie Morton the old Lion's receiver?

Fan card revoked
I have watched a lot of football throughout the years and I assumed when I first heard the guys name mentioned as the WR coach a couple seasons ago I figured he was the ex WR. I should have known better but I never saw his face until now. I also didn't know how a guy that spent so much time catching balls in the NFL would have a hard time teaching guys to produce. Now I have gained a bit of insight at the position. I hope we have just had bad players and not bad coaches. Anyway we got Boldin and Lloyd helping teach guys now

In 2011 I thought the same- that he was the long time NFL player. Then I wikied his coaching profile and found that he was the least experienced out of all the coaches. But Harbaugh is - I think - a good judge of coaches and so is Baalke. They have kept him and not let him go, so I guess that means something. I wouldn't be surprised if anquan or Lloyd will eventually coach in the NFL, and maybe with the 49ers. I think that's one way of getting good coaches, bring in old soon to be ex - nfl players and transition them into coaching.
We bah need bah a bah new bah WR bah Coach.

If enough people say it it must be true
It's not like he's had top-notch talent for long stretches of time.
lame mic'd up

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
It's not like he's had top-notch talent for long stretches of time.

He's had Randy Moss, Crabs and now Anquan. So far I think he's just a bit below average to about average Coach, in my opinion. I do think he's progressing somewhat. Patton has been progressing before his injury last year and now he has Ellington. Personally, I credit Patton and Hopefully Ellington's progression more to Anquan than to Morton. Crabs really leaned on Moss and now Anquan to learn the tricks of the WR trade, in my opinion.

All coaching staff's have a weak spot on their team. WR is ours.
Originally posted by Giedi:
He's had Randy Moss, Crabs and now Anquan. So far I think he's just a bit below average to about average Coach, in my opinion. I do think he's progressing somewhat. Patton has been progressing before his injury last year and now he has Ellington. Personally, I credit Patton and Hopefully Ellington's progression more to Anquan than to Morton. Crabs really leaned on Moss and now Anquan to learn the tricks of the WR trade, in my opinion.

I don't get it. Did Moss, Crabs and Anquan turn into crappy receivers because of him? I would judge him on the ability to groom young WR talent.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Originally posted by Giedi:

I don't get it. Did Moss, Crabs and Anquan turn into crappy receivers because of him? I would judge him on the ability to groom young WR talent.

I don't think you can judge him on the AJ Jenkins bust. That was on Baalke. AJ isn't doing much, in my opinion, in KC either.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
49ers WR Coach John Morton Expected To Join Jim Harbaugh At Michigan

The Sacramento Bee reported Wednesday that current Southern Cal offensive line coach/running game coordinator Tim Drevno and San Francisco 49ers wide receivers coach John Morton are believed to be joining Harbaugh at Michigan.

Morton, meanwhile, is a Michigan native -- from Auburn Hills -- and played collegiately at Grand Rapids Community College and Western Michigan. Morton was Harbaugh's wide receivers coach at San Diego in 2005, and re-joined him with the 49ers, beginning in 2011.

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2014/12/report_usc_ol_coach_tim_drevno.html
[ Edited by DeUh on Dec 31, 2014 at 2:15 PM ]
Originally posted by DeUh:
49ers WR Coach John Morton Expected To Join Jim Harbaugh At Michigan

The Sacramento Bee reported Wednesday that current Southern Cal offensive line coach/running game coordinator Tim Drevno and San Francisco 49ers wide receivers coach John Morton are believed to be joining Harbaugh at Michigan.

Morton, meanwhile, is a Michigan native -- from Auburn Hills -- and played collegiately at Grand Rapids Community College and Western Michigan. Morton was Harbaugh's wide receivers coach at San Diego in 2005, and re-joined him with the 49ers, beginning in 2011.

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2014/12/report_usc_ol_coach_tim_drevno.html

Good. Sorry about Drevno but maybe we can have a receivers coach who can, um, coach?
Share 49ersWebzone