There are 171 users in the forums

2014 Niners

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
A nice blend of veterans and rookies, get ready for another exciting ride.

What he said................
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by thl408:
Lots of questions for me on defense.

They start right off with a high-powered Dallas offense, so we should find out a lot very early, but I agree. I actually think Bethea is an improvement over Whitner if only because Bethea doesn't tend to extend drives with penalties and he actually makes more tackles. Up until last year, he was also generally better in coverage than Whitner has been. I don't see how a stud like Ward can be worse than Rodgers was last year in the slot. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he might end up being another improvement.

Wilhoit sure was effective when he stood in for Willis. Culliver is a question mark, but before he did a face plant in the 2012 playoffs, PFF had him as a top 10 corner.

cully was dope but he had a bad game in the superbowl for sure, he made that bonehead comment and i think the criticism got to him but no one on our defense really played well in that first half. i think cully will bounce back this year
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
cully was dope but he had a bad game in the superbowl for sure, he made that bonehead comment and i think the criticism got to him but no one on our defense really played well in that first half. i think cully will bounce back this year

I can easily imagine Culliver and Brock with Ward in the slot being a great corner group. The other wildcard here could be Dontae Johnson - if he turns out to be as good as some of the coaches seem to think he is, they could have a great dime package with him getting up close and mugging receivers, Sherman style.

There definitely are lots of questions, but there's lots of potential there as well. The D-front is deep. They might lose Aldon for a while, but they hung in there last season for five games without him. If a couple of those draft picks from last year or this year produce, the defense is going to continue to be just fine. I'm very interested in watching how Aaron Lynch develops. If that guy gets his head together, he's going to be a force. His measurables are amazing.
Thl, Aldon missed 5 games last yr but our soon to be starters in rotation, helped us to 5 Ws.

As for the comment, (Maybe Crake) re: Bethea might be better, Whitner did two things with gusto. Got penalties and hit like a ton of bricks... after the catch. Check out the neat vid that someone produced for the Bethea signing, and you see a guy who doesn't make tackles after the pass, he shuts them down. And that is what we really needed from our DBs last yr, excluding Brock. But the others played off, passes got completed and the chains moved. Bethea is NOT cut in that mold. He truly shuts the passes down. REid also did pretty well there also. I had trouble understanding the rage about whitner when he made huge hits on guys, after the pass was completed. With Reid, Brock, Ward, our 3 new guys, and one of our CBs #3-6, plus Dontae, I can see us finally playing a SEA D backfield...press. In that, Bethea is way better than whitner, and it is worth seeing the vid if anyone didn't.
Secondary should b fine.....

cant get much worse than being burned straight up the middle in a super bowl and again a year later by the she cocks in th nfcg....
Our offense has been awesome for 3 years now.

Those two loses are because defense (secondary let us down ) Offense shouldn't have to score more than 30 to win a ball game every time

We limited teams to 17 pts av all year , then got scorched when it counted .

Forget the past WE WILL B BETTER

Oh ya .... HOPE the BEERS cold at the new stadium !!!
[ Edited by redrazer45 on May 30, 2014 at 5:08 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
The draft / FA just gave us more depth.
Guys are coming back from injuries to add more depth.
Addition by subtraction / replaced (Whitner and Rogers).

We'll be alright. We already had the pieces and just added more reinforcement. The play calling and Kap's development is what's gonna matter most in the playoffs.
I'm just trying to think how long the league is going to suspend Aldon once his court date comes up in July and they reach a verdict. Could be 4 games, could be 8..He will be a big loss for us, but remember we did fine with the platoon of skuta and lemonier for run stop and rushing the QB. I am interested to see how Aaron Lynch does, one article said that he can be as good as Clowney, which may be a stretch considering Clowney is a off the chart once in a long time draft pick that has crazy athleticism. Tank Carradine is going to be interesting as well because he is fully healthy and watching his college highlight reel, he looked better than bjorn werner.
If anything I learned from the "Golden Years" and Montana/Young history, is things have to bounce your way to win it all. I can recall two great Niners teams that didn't make it to the SB. While many disagree, I don't think all our best teams won it. There is a certain element of luck.
What I worry is the:
Aldon Smith/Culliver/Bowman & Kap nonsense, doesn't look like things "bouncing" our way. I had this feeling when Crabs got hurt last year. A couple early losses and things going Seattles way last year. Made the difference. On paper we are adding more to our team than Seattle, the scheduling difference is working our way (Seattle has bye week way early). But other things aren't. Will be fun to see.
  • Arson
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OldJoe:
If anything I learned from the "Golden Years" and Montana/Young history, is things have to bounce your way to win it all. I can recall two great Niners teams that didn't make it to the SB. While many disagree, I don't think all our best teams won it. There is a certain element of luck.
What I worry is the:
Aldon Smith/Culliver/Bowman & Kap nonsense, doesn't look like things "bouncing" our way. I had this feeling when Crabs got hurt last year. A couple early losses and things going Seattles way last year. Made the difference. On paper we are adding more to our team than Seattle, the scheduling difference is working our way (Seattle has bye week way early). But other things aren't. Will be fun to see.

The gaps between 84-88 I remember the team frothing out the mouth for the super bowl, same thing in 89-94, we where like a shark that smelled blood, we where gonna EAT, I get the same feeling from this team.
If we stay healthy I am looking for a Superbowl trip. Seattle gets too much of a break with their home field advantage and opposing teams wearing ear plugs on offense. We will have to win a lot of games to get home field advantage so we have to stay healthy at key positions.

Very excited about our offense, even with Greg Roman, but a little nervous about our Defense. Bowman and A.Smith aren't just the best lineman on our team, they're two of the best in the NFL period and they'll both be out for significant periods. I hope our back ups can step-up.
Originally posted by RicetoYoung:
Very excited about our offense, even with Greg Roman, but a little nervous about our Defense. Bowman and A.Smith aren't just the best lineman on our team, they're two of the best in the NFL period and they'll both be out for significant periods. I hope our back ups can step-up.

we got this. Lemonnier, Tank, Borland, Lynch, and a bunch of other talented, hungry young players are gonna get a shot to prove themselves.
Share 49ersWebzone