LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 130 users in the forums

2014 Training Camp Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
when is training camp officially over? when are the cuts?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by defenderDX:

They broke camp last Saturday, DX. Not sure about cut dates.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Aug 19, 2014 at 10:00 AM ]

Cut and paste.

August 26, 2014: Prior to 3 p.m. CDT, clubs must reduce their rosters to a maximum of 75 players on the active list.

August 30, 2014: Prior to 3 p.m. CDT, clubs must reduce rosters to a maximum of 53 players on the active/inactive list.

August 31, 2014: Beginning at 11 a.m. CDT, clubs may establish a practice squad of eight players by signing free agents who do not have an accrued season of free agency credit or who were on the 46-player active list for less than nine regular season games during each of any accrued seasons. A player cannot serve on the practice squad for more than three seasons.

Put another way, teams have to cut their roster to 75 players between the third and fourth preseason games, and then must trim their roster to 53 men a little less than two days after the fourth and final preseason game.
Originally posted by mayo49:

They broke camp last Saturday, DX. Not sure about cut dates.

figured they did. thanks
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

Cut and paste.

August 26, 2014: Prior to 3 p.m. CDT, clubs must reduce their rosters to a maximum of 75 players on the active list.

August 30, 2014: Prior to 3 p.m. CDT, clubs must reduce rosters to a maximum of 53 players on the active/inactive list.

August 31, 2014: Beginning at 11 a.m. CDT, clubs may establish a practice squad of eight players by signing free agents who do not have an accrued season of free agency credit or who were on the 46-player active list for less than nine regular season games during each of any accrued seasons. A player cannot serve on the practice squad for more than three seasons.

Put another way, teams have to cut their roster to 75 players between the third and fourth preseason games, and then must trim their roster to 53 men a little less than two days after the fourth and final preseason game.

ty
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
[ Edited by mayo49 on Aug 19, 2014 at 10:10 AM ]
Isn't today;s TC open to the public? No reports?
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

It was open to the public but allegedly the field is really bad and Jim ended practice early and they're going back to their regular practice field. Sucks about the field since there's a game on Sunday.
Originally posted by sking20854:

It was open to the public but allegedly the field is really bad and Jim ended practice early and they're going back to their regular practice field. Sucks about the field since there's a game on Sunday.

I hope they find a way to keep osgood. Osgood has a direct relationship with opposing teams starting position because he is so good in punt coverage.

Camp over close thread! Lol...
Originally posted by sking20854:

Yep. Everyone showed up to watch a whole lot of nothing. I mostly just walked around the stadium. Nothing of note happened.
Originally posted by Empire49:
Yep. Everyone showed up to watch a whole lot of nothing. I mostly just walked around the stadium. Nothing of note happened.

I know, I was like wow, that's it? After they made the announcement, I went down to the main team store and bought my son a junior size football.

I was at the practice today and here are some of my observations about the players and the stadium.

Highly recommend buying tickets on the west side under the box seats. The sun blasts the east side relentlessly. Supposedly, that's the visitor's side, and quite unpleasant compared to the shade of the home side. The middle section of seats facing the sidelines are padded and really comfortable like movie theater chairs. I'd imagine they are more expensive. Their beer selection is pretty crazy. I had a 21st Amendment and my friend had a Kona Longboard.

As for the practice, here are some of my observations:

It was nice to see LaMichael James back out there. He didn't look so great fielding a punt, it bounced off the upper chest pads. Big difference when Bruce Ellington caught the ball. He does it much more effortlessly and with precision...just the hands, not trapping it against his body so much.

Aldon, holy smokes. He lined up against Staley and smoked him on what looked like a double spin move. Then he lined up against some other guy I didn't know (Carter Bykowski), and ran right by him. He really does look unstoppable. I uploaded a video clip:

Kaepernick had a few decent passes to Boldin, but no Crabtree today. Bruce Miller looks to be an important part of the team's passing game.

Tremaine Brock looked really solid, a worthy number one corner. He intercepted a pass from a Bethel-Thompson when he jumped the route.

Gabbert...what more can be said. He looks extremely pedestrian. His passes are pretty short, and don't have much zip. He seems to make a lot of questionable decisions as well.

One thing that concerned me, and probably the reason why they wrapped up practice early...Stevie Johnson had a scary moment down by the north endzone. He slipped and fell...looked like he hurt his ankle, as he was limping around. Hopefully he's okay.

There were divots and big patches of the turf that were in pretty poor condition. Probably because they've had other events at Levi's like the soccer game and stuff.

Well, that's my scouting report for today's practice. I'll also be going to Sunday's game against San Diego. Look forward to trying some of the grub that was unavailable today. Frankfurters, pork buns, Indian curry, and a lot more then I could process.
[ Edited by Psinex on Aug 20, 2014 at 9:18 PM ]
^^ Great stuff, Psinex.
Share 49ersWebzone