LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 150 users in the forums

Surprise Starters

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Brandon Lloyd
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Brandon Lloyd

God no.
I will throw my cat into a lake if that happens.

jk.

but seriously
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Originally posted by JimDrinkAMiller:
Yeah I doubt borland will be anything special. Nothing more than a quality backup. This was the only pick that had me scratching my head. I thought our depth at ILB was stout but apparently Harbalke didn't feel it was enough.

Do you think borland is going to start when bowman returns? lol Look the kid looks like a decent prospect but doesn't have a very high ceiling IMO. Not great size or athletic ability. I think wilhoite played well when willis was out.
Do you think borland is going to start when bowman returns? lol Look the kid looks like a decent prospect but doesn't have a very high ceiling IMO. Not great size or athletic ability. I think wilhoite played well when willis was out.

no offense but is your opinion based on online draft profiles and youtube highlights or did you watch him play at wisconsin?
Originally posted by NCommand:
BTW: Ready for a surprise starter? Look for Dontae Johnson to push Chris Culliver VERY hard for a starting spot @ LCB (#2).

What makes you say this NC? I think culliver has a lot of potential as long as he recovers fully from that injury. I'm just curious why you think Johnson has a better shot at winning the LCB spot and not Ward. Is ward's skillset not a fit for that position?

No.
But Borland was a solid pick-up. Honestly I feel we drafted this guy for those 3rd and short situations. He is going to end up being a specialty player.
He is our answer to Marshawn Lynch (or at least I hope so)
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:

no offense but is your opinion based on online draft profiles and youtube highlights or did you watch him play at wisconsin?

This.
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:

I have watched a couple of wisconsin games but yes most of my opinion is based on highlights and his draft profile. Just curious but do you think he will see much action once bow returns? I don't see what's so special about this kid.

No.
But Borland was a solid pick-up. Honestly I feel we drafted this guy for those 3rd and short situations. He is going to end up being a specialty player.
He is our answer to Marshawn Lynch (or at least I hope so)

I don't see it. They won't pull any of our all-pro linebackers off the field for this kid. Just because he stood up hyde, doesn't mean he'll do the same to lynch. Unless you think we're gonna run 3 ILBs..
I have watched a couple of wisconsin games but yes most of my opinion is based on highlights and his draft profile. Just curious but do you think he will see much action once bow returns? I don't see what's so special about this kid.

Go watch his game film against Ohio State.
Trust me, he is a talent. I think he will see lots of action this season.

I don't see it. They won't pull any of our all-pro linebackers off the field for this kid. Just because he stood up hyde, doesn't mean he'll do the same to lynch. Unless you think we're gonna run 3 ILBs..

Lol that would be crazy. I think he is the best run-stopping LB that was in this draft.
Some weird part of me also feels that we are going to come up with a special spot for him on our defense, kinda like a specialty play.
He has a rare skill set
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Will Martin beat out Kilgore?

Yes! And he'll be great.

And I think Lemonier is a better OLB than Ahmad Brooks, but I don't think he'll win the starting job 'cause Brooks is already playing at a pro bowl level.

I think lemonier will eventually take over for brooks. Maybe not this season but brooks is the oldest of our starting LBs and could be traded to save cap space. I don't think the drop off from brooks to lemonier is that steep compared to our other LBs so I see where your coming from.
Originally posted by NCommand:
BTW: Ready for a surprise starter? Look for Dontae Johnson to push Chris Culliver VERY hard for a starting spot @ LCB (#2).

What makes you say this NC? I think culliver has a lot of potential as long as he recovers fully from that injury. I'm just curious why you think Johnson has a better shot at winning the LCB spot and not Ward. Is ward's skillset not a fit for that position?

I love Culliver (on the field). He was drafted as the #80th pick overall and Johnson was drafted as the #129th pick overall. Culliver has a ton of potential and was set up to start last year ahead of Rogers. The knee injury was really unfortunate...after the Superbowl up to camp/injury, the guy had a bad string of luck. As to Ward, he is slated to start at the nickle/slot/dime sets while also learning the FS spot. Brock and Culliver play on the edges. The reason I think Johnson has a legit shot (and could be considered a surprise starter keeping with the spirit of the thread) is b/c it will take Culliver a couple months to get back into football shape. Johnson has 2" on Culliver and is a press CB. He's also a very high character guy and smart as well. He also is versatile and can play S as well. Baalke has been looking for that tall, press CB for years now and lost Cooper last year. So is Johnson it? While I think Culliver will regain his form (and football legs), this may be one of those battles that nobody is talking about that ends up surprising fans in the end. Remember when Brown won the starting job "out of nowhere?" Just keep a close eye on this battle...

Lol that would be crazy. I think he is the best run-stopping LB that was in this draft.
Some weird part of me also feels that we are going to come up with a special spot for him on our defense, kinda like a specialty play.
He has a rare skill set

Kind of like when we played brooks at ILB on the goaline? Brooks may be the most versatile player on our team and this last season I paid extra attention to him since I knocked him last season. What a player. I'm not saying borland isn't a good player but I don't see him getting much PT on our defense when bow is healthy. I will take some time to watch more game film on him tho.
Kind of like when we played brooks at ILB on the goaline? Brooks may be the most versatile player on our team and this last season I paid extra attention to him since I knocked him last season. What a player. I'm not saying borland isn't a good player but I don't see him getting much PT on our defense when bow is healthy. I will take some time to watch more game film on him tho.

Good man!!!! Seriously...
Share 49ersWebzone