LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 340 users in the forums

Difference between Gore and Hyde

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
This dude is bobbie dixon

Buddy of mine said the same thing. Ran through huge holes against really weak competition. Lets see how he does in camp.

Ur buddy does not lie. Nothing special about this dude

Really? They're not similar at all.

Dixon ran kinda soft in college despite weighing 230. Always tried to play like he was smaller, quicker than he actually was.

Hyde is a very physical runner. He plows through people, to go along with nice athleticism, vision, and elusiveness.

The only thing they have in common is they're 6'0" 230 lbs. If you watched them play, they're two entirely different players.
[ Edited by SofaKing on May 10, 2014 at 9:10 PM ]
  • thl408
I only saw some of the youtube clips posted in the Hyde thread. Does he run out formations besides the pistol? Led by a FB?
His fav player is ricky williams that why he wears 34. Loved the way Ricky played. If he can get near that level niners found themselves a back that fits out style.
[ Edited by Whosgotitbetter on May 10, 2014 at 11:19 PM ]
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:
"small and dynamic"

wtf. since when is 6ft 230lbs small for a RB? That's freaken huge.

Yeah -- Marshawn Lynch who always steamrolls our backers is 5'11, 220.

His tape reminds me of Lynch and Eddie Lacy. Oh the damage this offense could do with a Marshawn Lynch type guy...
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Gore = blood and guts
Hyde = leather
[ Edited by Garcia on May 11, 2014 at 12:52 AM ]
I don't ever see this kid as the solo starter in the nfl, just not fast enough, will use him in the 4th to run the cloak, third downs and shot yards and goal line, which I think suits him best. He's not a home run type of back, but we have LmJ and Lat who have more speed and can do that.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Another similarity is that like Gore he can catch the ball out of the backfield and that he's hard to tackle.

Wonder how his pass blocking is.

Above average blocker. Is willing and has size/strength to develop. Will need to improve leverage and hand placement in order to better sustain.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/33638/draftyear/2014

Is solid in pass protection and can stonewall blitzers in their tracks. Good awareness and anticipation to react to stunts and adjust to movement. Soft hands-catcher.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/carlos-hyde?id=2543743

Cosell compares Hyde to Le'Veon Bell and "a more laterally explosive" Eddie Lacy. "He's 230 pounds, he's got quick and light feet," Cosell said. "He's got some shiftiness to him. Some deceptive elusiveness. ... He has an excellent combination of burst and wiggle and some natural power." Former NFL player Ross Tucker added that he "really liked" Hyde. Said Tucker: "When in doubt, I would like to go with the young hammerhead... this year that's Carlos Hyde and Jeremy Hill."

Everyone will have their own view of what Hyde is, the best analogy I've seen online has been "like a less obese version of Eddie Lacy with quicker feet." That works pretty well for me.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Really the only difference is he's bigger and faster than Gore. Gore has always been able to explode through the hole, but will get caught from behind. Hyde doesn't have "breakaway" speed, but has a little more speed than Gore does.

The other stuff though: vision, quick feet, and elusiveness are all there.

Hmm. Thought you were not into comparing unproven rookies to veteran, pro bowl players?
The 49ers did not go quietly in to the night .....

They drafted every goshdarn RB possible to replace Gore when he retires.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Really the only difference is he's bigger and faster than Gore. Gore has always been able to explode through the hole, but will get caught from behind. Hyde doesn't have "breakaway" speed, but has a little more speed than Gore does.

Hmm. Thought you were not into comparing unproven rookies to veteran, pro bowl players?

Nobody's comparing accolades or NFL accomplishments. It's simply running styles. "Given his running style, he's CFBs version of so and so."

I don't get what's so hard to understand about that. Smh.

Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Nobody's comparing accolades or NFL accomplishments. It's simply running styles. "Given his running style, he's CFBs version of so and so."

I don't get what's so hard to understand about that. Smh.

oh i get it. I was just referencing how insulted he got when someone compared the styles of Thomas and Ward, but not Gore and Hyde. Was just curious why.
i'm curious to see if this guy can actually run out of a traditional formation..he's had the benefit of a spread/pistol offense at ohio state must like lattimore did at carolina and LMJ did at oregon

i'd have preferred an I-formation back like terrance west or storm johnson but there's no doubt this guy is bigger/quicker than those guys..i just hope he can adjust to more crowded line of scrimmage than what he's been used to
  • thl408
Originally posted by iLL49er:
i'm curious to see if this guy can actually run out of a traditional formation..he's had the benefit of a spread/pistol offense at ohio state must like lattimore did at carolina and LMJ did at oregon

i'd have preferred an I-formation back like terrance west or storm johnson but there's no doubt this guy is bigger/quicker than those guys..i just hope he can adjust to more crowded line of scrimmage than what he's been used to

I asked the same question up above. I guess he never ran out of traditional formations. All of the YouTube clips I see are of him running out of the pistol. Many times it looked like a read option play. I'm not ruling out his ability to run out of non-pistol formations, but I have not seen any film of him doing it, so there may be a learning curve.
i saw an nfl network interview b4 the draft w/ Ladanian tomlinson when hyde was on the set and they praised him for changing from a guy who ran out of the I-Formatoin b4 urban meyer got there to what he did out of the pistol

unfortunately i can't find any tape on youtube of 2011 when he would've run out of the I-formation at ohoi state
Gore's vision is un-paralleled. Hopefully Hyde can learn from him this year.
Share 49ersWebzone