LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 448 users in the forums

Ask Captain Hindsight your questions (49ers related only)!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by joshuatree:
Originally posted by cciowa:
that is why we should have traded young to kansas city for derick thomas.. despite what some feel,,,, joe would have beat the cowboys twice, thomas would have solidified the defense which never would have led to the over spending of free agents in 94. even with the trade of haley, it would have been offset by thomas who , if you know about football,, was the number one disruptive force in football back then

To me, it's kinda a stretch to assume Montana defeats (twice) one of the most gifted teams in NFL History. I get 1992, but 93 also? And then the emerging Packers as well. It's a bigger roll of the dice than you guys are making it out to be. If Joe doesn't win in 1992, it's probable we never win and he's out of the league by 1995.

The 90's were a bunch of miscues that kept the best team ( the 49ers) from winning more Superbowls. We were headed to the superbowl when Ricky Waters fumbled against the cowboys. We had the lead and were about to make it a 2 score lead very late in the game.

There was the game against the packers on the road with Grbac starting at QB. The pack score 1 Td the whole game on a blown officials call. A packer receiver caught a pass at about the 40 and was touched down. He got up and jogged into the endzone after the play and an idiot official signaled TD. That moron gave the packers home field advantage in the playoffs.

More stupid calls cost us in a championship game vs the packers at home. We lost 2 T's due to bad calls by the officials and another trip to the superbowl.

Then there was bad front office moves. I get trading that whack job Haley but to the Cowboys? How stupid was that? Trade him to an AFC team that sucks. Not the best up and coming team in your own conference. Just stupid.

We signed Deion Sanders to a 1 yr deal, we should have made it a multiple year deal. Then we lose Ricky Waters to try and resign Sanders and fail losing them both. We should have made sure we kept at least 1 of them. Then we don't draft or trade for a RB and play the season with Derek Lavelle as our franchise RB. How stupid was that.

I don't know if even Joe Montana could overcome all of that. We lost a Superbowl trip vs the redskins with Montana one year when the officials made a ton of bad calls handing the skins the game. The calls were so bad they actually had to change the rules after the season so no other team would get screwed as bad as we did.

Montana was the greatest QB of all time but there are some things even he couldn't overcome.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
The 90's were a bunch of miscues that kept the best team ( the 49ers) from winning more Superbowls. We were headed to the superbowl when Ricky Waters fumbled against the cowboys. We had the lead and were about to make it a 2 score lead very late in the game.

There was the game against the packers on the road with Grbac starting at QB. The pack score 1 Td the whole game on a blown officials call. A packer receiver caught a pass at about the 40 and was touched down. He got up and jogged into the endzone after the play and an idiot official signaled TD. That moron gave the packers home field advantage in the playoffs.

More stupid calls cost us in a championship game vs the packers at home. We lost 2 T's due to bad calls by the officials and another trip to the superbowl.

Then there was bad front office moves. I get trading that whack job Haley but to the Cowboys? How stupid was that? Trade him to an AFC team that sucks. Not the best up and coming team in your own conference. Just stupid.

We signed Deion Sanders to a 1 yr deal, we should have made it a multiple year deal. Then we lose Ricky Waters to try and resign Sanders and fail losing them both. We should have made sure we kept at least 1 of them. Then we don't draft or trade for a RB and play the season with Derek Lavelle as our franchise RB. How stupid was that.

I don't know if even Joe Montana could overcome all of that. We lost a Superbowl trip vs the redskins with Montana one year when the officials made a ton of bad calls handing the skins the game. The calls were so bad they actually had to change the rules after the season so no other team would get screwed as bad as we did.

Montana was the greatest QB of all time but there are some things even he couldn't overcome.

"A packer receiver caught a pass at about the 40 and was touched down."

I remember that one. That home field advantage was even more important for them then it was for Seattle.
The DB was in a tough position. He could have either dove on the down player (and then get called for a roughing penalty), or leap over him and touch him as he went by, which is what he did, but the official didn't see it because he was stupid. They just let him get up after the play was over and run into the endzone, costing us home field and a chance at the Super Bowl.

Trading Haley to the Cowboys was beyond stupid, I mean, whose decision was that?

I couldn't believe we were actually going to start the season with Derek Loville. "But wait, what are we doing? Where is our running back?" It took them years to realize that he wasn't good. He was athletic, and he could catch the football, so I guess they thought that means he could play running back like Roger Craig. He had no vision whatsoever, it was like watching a toy car move forward until it hit something and then stop.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:
Should Harbaugh have drafted CB Sherman? We could have gotten him with a 4th round pick or traded back and got him early 5th round. Harbaugh coached him at Stanford and should have known what his capabilities were.

He did, which speaks volumes.
we will sign him when he becomes a free agent,, book it
Originally posted by BrianGO:

"A packer receiver caught a pass at about the 40 and was touched down."

I remember that one. That home field advantage was even more important for them then it was for Seattle.
The DB was in a tough position. He could have either dove on the down player (and then get called for a roughing penalty), or leap over him and touch him as he went by, which is what he did, but the official didn't see it because he was stupid. They just let him get up after the play was over and run into the endzone, costing us home field and a chance at the Super Bowl.

Trading Haley to the Cowboys was beyond stupid, I mean, whose decision was that?

I couldn't believe we were actually going to start the season with Derek Loville. "But wait, what are we doing? Where is our running back?" It took them years to realize that he wasn't good. He was athletic, and he could catch the football, so I guess they thought that means he could play running back like Roger Craig. He had no vision whatsoever, it was like watching a toy car move forward until it hit something and then stop.

Derek was meant to be a back up and for that he was fine. The real error was losing both Waters and Sanders in the same offseason. They gave up Waters to have money to resign Sanders and then failed. then they didn't even bother to sign or draft a RB to replace him. Our front office sucked after Walsh retired. Carmen Policy was a joke. He went on to the expansion Browns. How did that work out for them?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Derek was meant to be a back up and for that he was fine. The real error was losing both Waters and Sanders in the same offseason. They gave up Waters to have money to resign Sanders and then failed. then they didn't even bother to sign or draft a RB to replace him. Our front office sucked after Walsh retired. Carmen Policy was a joke. He went on to the expansion Browns. How did that work out for them?
you know it was bad when we threw a big party after terry kirby came in to at least give us a respectable running game before sheriff hearst finally rode into town
fropwns...
What do you expect from C. Kept next year when it comes to pass completions, do you think he will progress better and to see more of touch on the ball accurcy.
Second... What is the remedy on the Niners Secondary CB situations?
Originally posted by Constantine:
fropwns...
What do you expect from C. Kept next year when it comes to pass completions, do you think he will progress better and to see more of touch on the ball accurcy.

QB's like Kap with a big gun for an arm tend to want to out physical the opponent rather than outmaneuver or outthink their opponets. It remains to be seen if he can take a new direction in his career and try to win by being smart 1st instead of relying on his big arm.

Haley trade:

"You never knew when he was going to go off," 49ers running back Dexter Carter said. "Other guys would kid around and tease, but Charles was different. He was meaner. I didn't like the guy, and I told him that to his face. And believe me, I'm not alone."

"As I look back at it now, in hindsight, I was a young head coach," Seifert said. "I reacted. There were some tough things going on with Charles. But if I'd been a head coach with more experience I could've figured it out and found a way to get it done."

"The biggest mistake I made, or let happen, was trading Charles Haley," DeBartolo said. "If we don't trade Charles Haley, we win another Super Bowl. There's no question in my mind. It was a mistake and I should've stepped in.

Said Seifert, "I don't think Charles ever forgave me for Ronnie getting away."

Wasn't Jimmy Johnson (Jets) supposed to be our starting RB in 1996 but he never showed up to training camp? Our leading rushers
1992 - Watters 1013 (4.9)
1993 - Watters 950 (4.6)
1994 - Watters 877 (3.7)
1995 - Loville 723 (3.3)
1996 - Kirby 559 (4.2)
1997 - Hearst 1019 (4.4)
1998 - Hearst 1570 (5.1)
Haley trade:

"You never knew when he was going to go off," 49ers running back Dexter Carter said. "Other guys would kid around and tease, but Charles was different. He was meaner. I didn't like the guy, and I told him that to his face. And believe me, I'm not alone."

"As I look back at it now, in hindsight, I was a young head coach," Seifert said. "I reacted. There were some tough things going on with Charles. But if I'd been a head coach with more experience I could've figured it out and found a way to get it done."

"The biggest mistake I made, or let happen, was trading Charles Haley," DeBartolo said. "If we don't trade Charles Haley, we win another Super Bowl. There's no question in my mind. It was a mistake and I should've stepped in.

Wasn't Jimmy Johnson (Jets) supposed to be our starting RB in 1996 but he never showed up to training camp? Our leading rushers
1993 - Watters 950 (4.6)
1994 - Watters 877 (3.7)
1995 - Loville 723 (3.3)
1996 - Kirby 559 (4.2)
1997 - Hearst 1019 (4.4)
1998 - Hearst 1570 (5.1)

I never knew what happened with that Jimmy Johnson guy. Losing Watters was a real kick in the nuts. That hurt more than losing Deion. We had the #1 defense after he left. We retain Watters, #6 would have happened in 1995.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Haley trade:

1993 - Watters 950 (4.6)
1994 - Watters 877 (3.7)
1995 - Loville 723 (3.3)
1996 - Kirby 559 (4.2)
1997 - Hearst 1019 (4.4)
1998 - Hearst 1570 (5.1)

I never knew what happened with that Jimmy Johnson guy. Losing Watters was a real kick in the nuts. That hurt more than losing Deion. We had the #1 defense after he left. We retain Watters, #6 would have happened in 1995.

Agreed, n wow i totally forgot bout that jimmy johnson.....still very vague to me!!

This thread brings backemoriea good n bad!!!
Goniners

Haley trade:

1993 - Watters 950 (4.6)
1994 - Watters 877 (3.7)
1995 - Loville 723 (3.3)
1996 - Kirby 559 (4.2)
1997 - Hearst 1019 (4.4)
1998 - Hearst 1570 (5.1)

Haley was a whack job. If we couldn't keep him at least trade him to a bad team in the AFC not the best young team in the NFC the cowboys. That was stupid.
Ooo I like this game...

If Kyle Williams hadn't fumbled two punts in the 2011 NFCCG and if Kaepernick had put a little more air on his final pass to Crabtree in the 2013 NFCCG, would we now have a super-bowl record of 7-1?
Originally posted by frankie:
Agreed, n wow i totally forgot bout that jimmy johnson.....still very vague to me!!

Johnson took the money as a free agent coming over from the Jets, didn't disclose a bad back (or used it as an excuse) and never played another down in the NFL.
Originally posted by Constantine:
fropwns...

Captain Hindsight can not answer this
what would have happened if i wore my willis jersey instead of my kaep jersey that fateful day against the cheathawks in the NFCCG?
Share 49ersWebzone