There are 237 users in the forums

Ask Captain Hindsight your questions (49ers related only)!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BobS:
That and Favre just had great luck whenever he played us. He could throw into triple coverage with his eyes closed and complete passes. I think he had a better record against us than any other team, it was crazy, screw Brett Favre.

I HATED Favre, because like you said, he always seemed to get a lucky bounce go his way, but he did also own us for years.

I'll never forget the regular season match up in Lambeau in 1998 when he completed a TD to Freeman on the first play of the game.

The Favre/49ers rivalry sort of went dormant for years until the Greg Lewis game in 2009. That one opened up some old wounds.
Should Harbaugh have drafted CB Sherman? We could have gotten him with a 4th round pick or traded back and got him early 5th round. Harbaugh coached him at Stanford and should have known what his capabilities were.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
Hands down the most entertaining thread in NT,big shout to Fro!!!

The Captain thanks you.

Originally posted by joshuatree:
Yo Fro, Let's get some hindsight about the Charles Haley trade to the Cowboys.
I once knew a poster named Taber, who asked questions such as yours...but the Captain digresses!

The Captain says simply, "George Seifert will not be remembered for the fifth ring, we remember Steve Young for that. He is remembered for losing the NFC title game with his ridiculous idea of giving Craig, the ball, which ended the three-peat bid. He is also remembered for trading Charles Haley." Captain Hindsight remembers that Charles Haley was not a model citizen, but sending the troubled playmaker to the Cowboys killed the 49ers defense leading to the exuberant spending, which led to a fifth title, but alas CAP HELL. Ask yourself this, the Cowboys got rings (plural) with him. The Niners got only one without him.

Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
What if we did choose Pete Carroll over Mike Nolan in 2005?
Captain Hindsight says, "Pete Carrol did not have adderall in 2005 for the Niners to accidentally ingest". He fails, ala the Pete Carrol of the Patriots. Also, the Alex Smith Factor looms here.

Originally posted by Allx9er:
would the niners be better off if Harbaugh choose somebody From his sTaff other then Roman to be the OC ?
Captain Hindsight says, "Probably, but who?"
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Should Harbaugh have drafted CB Sherman? We could have gotten him with a 4th round pick or traded back and got him early 5th round. Harbaugh coached him at Stanford and should have known what his capabilities were.

Captain says, "see my comments on Pete Carroll". Again, no accidental ingestion of adderall, no slight by being passed over five times by ALL OF THE NFL, equals a sub-par Sherman. Still, in the spirit of innocence before the law. Yes, you draft Sherman, but would he have even started?
Originally posted by fropwns:

Captain says, "see my comments on Pete Carroll". Again, no accidental ingestion of adderall, no slight by being passed over five times by ALL OF THE NFL, equals a sub-par Sherman. Still, in the spirit of innocence before the law. Yes, you draft Sherman, but would he have even started?

Unless Sherman is strictly the product of illegal substance abuse which is very possible Harbaugh should have known his abilities better than anyone. His combine numbers were not impressive. A bit slow for an NFL CB so it doesn't surprise that the league passed on in him the 1st 4 rounds.

Harbaugh hasn't drafted a single Stanford player yet in 3 drafts I believe.
The Captain thanks you.

I once knew a poster named Taber, who asked questions such as yours...but the Captain digresses!

The Captain says simply, "George Seifert will not be remembered for the fifth ring, we remember Steve Young for that. He is remembered for losing the NFC title game with his ridiculous idea of giving Craig, the ball, which ended the three-peat bid. He is also remembered for trading Charles Haley." Captain Hindsight remembers that Charles Haley was not a model citizen, but sending the troubled playmaker to the Cowboys killed the 49ers defense leading to the exuberant spending, which led to a fifth title, but alas CAP HELL. Ask yourself this, the Cowboys got rings (plural) with him. The Niners got only one without him.

Interesting. I never considered the exuberant spending on defense.
What if the correct call was made when Brooks hit Brees?
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by Quest4six:
What if the correct call was made when Brooks hit Brees?
The Captain is hen-pecking an answer out on his iPad. Hence, I shall be brief. You should state the question differently. Ergo: "what would have happened if the correct call was made?"
The Captain is hen-pecking an answer out on his iPad. Hence, I shall be brief. You should state the question differently. Ergo: "what would have happened if the correct call was made?"

What would happen if the correct call was made regarding Ahmad Brook's hit on Drew Brees late in the 4th quarter?
why does my butt hurt?

• fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by Quest4six:

What would happen if the correct call was made regarding Ahmad Brook's hit on Drew Brees late in the 4th quarter?

The Captain says, "Niners get the ball, win the game. Get home field advantage. Beat the Seahawks by ten at home--in a closer than the score reveals game. Niners smash the Broncos by twenty. We resign Kaep, who is the MVP of the game; we ultimately resign Crab; we loose Iupati. But we have a sixth title and would be primed for our seventh. And, we are all wearing Super Bowl gear."
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
why does my butt hurt?
Non-niner related, you veteran noob!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
The Captain thanks you.

Interesting. I never considered the exuberant spending on defense.
that is why we should have traded young to kansas city for derick thomas.. despite what some feel,,,, joe would have beat the cowboys twice, thomas would have solidified the defense which never would have led to the over spending of free agents in 94. even with the trade of haley, it would have been offset by thomas who , if you know about football,, was the number one disruptive force in football back then
Originally posted by cciowa:
that is why we should have traded young to kansas city for derick thomas.. despite what some feel,,,, joe would have beat the cowboys twice, thomas would have solidified the defense which never would have led to the over spending of free agents in 94. even with the trade of haley, it would have been offset by thomas who , if you know about football,, was the number one disruptive force in football back then

To me, it's kinda a stretch to assume Montana defeats (twice) one of the most gifted teams in NFL History. I get 1992, but 93 also? And then the emerging Packers as well. It's a bigger roll of the dice than you guys are making it out to be. If Joe doesn't win in 1992, it's probable we never win and he's out of the league by 1995.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
To me, it's kinda a stretch to assume Montana defeats (twice) one of the most gifted teams in NFL History. I get 1992, but 93 also? And then the emerging Packers as well. It's a bigger roll of the dice than you guys are making it out to be. If Joe doesn't win in 1992, it's probable we never win and he's out of the league by 1995.

no,,. he would have won. then bono would have taken over the exact same offense. with bono running the show the team would have had to find a running back or due to the fact they did not have to over spend on defensive free agents since we had derick thomas,, they could have kept waters

He did, which speaks volumes.
Share 49ersWebzone