LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 266 users in the forums

Do we cut Culliver?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do we cut Culliver?

Not yet. This is his first legit run in with the law in the NFL I think? His attitude about the situation will factor into the FOs decision to cut him or not. That and whether he can plea down those felonies... yeesh!
No!

We need him. He may be an idiot, but he's a good football player. He's also one of the better players we have at a position of relative weakness. And yes, he's being paid peanuts so there's good value there, even with these bone-head maneuvers.

As for an extension? Let's see how he responds, on/off the field.
I do not condone what Culliver did, but you can tell that he needs to grow up.what are the laws in Carolina regarding brass knuckles where he was from . he is only 25, was scared, did not know what to do. very immature. give him a break.
Originally posted by BobS:
Some of you obviously don't give a hoot about your fellow man. The guy pulls a hit and run on a person on a bicycle. Then he whips out some brass knuckles. The guy is a scumbag, any way you slice it. Hit and run is against the law, and it takes a pretty pathetic person to run away and not render aid to someone no matter whose fault it is. Brass knuckles are another issue, not only it is a felony to possess them, why would anyone want them? They aren't a typical self defense weapon you would use to scare someone away, they are something used to gain an edge in a fight that would not be easy to detect in the initial part of a confrontation. I think most brass knuckle owners would be intent on using them. I wonder what some of you have done to blow off this incident as no big deal.

this exactly. other player like Aldon and Ahmed made bad decisions after drinking too much. many have done the same, but few have shown the same selfish disregard for others and then threaten someone on top of it, weapon or not. normally I compartmentalize off the field things from on, but this stupidity and evilness can't be ignored, cut him
Originally posted by dchrie:
Originally posted by BobS:
Some of you obviously don't give a hoot about your fellow man. The guy pulls a hit and run on a person on a bicycle. Then he whips out some brass knuckles. The guy is a scumbag, any way you slice it. Hit and run is against the law, and it takes a pretty pathetic person to run away and not render aid to someone no matter whose fault it is. Brass knuckles are another issue, not only it is a felony to possess them, why would anyone want them? They aren't a typical self defense weapon you would use to scare someone away, they are something used to gain an edge in a fight that would not be easy to detect in the initial part of a confrontation. I think most brass knuckle owners would be intent on using them. I wonder what some of you have done to blow off this incident as no big deal.

this exactly. other player like Aldon and Ahmed made bad decisions after drinking too much. many have done the same, but few have shown the same selfish disregard for others and then threaten someone on top of it, weapon or not. normally I compartmentalize off the field things from on, but this stupidity and evilness can't be ignored, cut him

Aldon was so drunk he was barely conscious at the wheel when officers arrived at the scene of his alcohol fueled wreck at 7:00 on a school morning. It's pure luck that he didn't kill anybody that day. I don't agree that Culliver's actions show more disregard for the community's safety that Aldon's.
the
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Aldon was so drunk he was barely conscious at the wheel when officers arrived at the scene of his alcohol fueled wreck at 7:00 on a school morning. It's pure luck that he didn't kill anybody that day. I don't agree that Culliver's actions show more disregard for the community's safety that Aldon's.

the disregard i mean is that the fact that he tried to run knowing that he did hit someone, not really that he hit someone in first place, that is a mistake that anyone can make
What Cully did deserves an expletive I can't say here but it is his first criminal offense with us. I've seen players kept that do worse
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
No

Lol moralists
Hit and run was bad enough...possession of brass knuckles and the threat to use them made his case worse. It really depends on the evidence (an eyewitness doesn't bode well for him) and the judge who hears the case. The legal system is fickle...some get nailed, some don't. I'd have to say I don't have a lot of confidence he'll avoid jail time and some serious anger management and who knows what other types of counseling. I'm sure Baalke and Harbaugh are waiting for all the facts and potential likelihood he could miss a substantial part of 2014. It could alter their draft plans somewhat...only time will tell.
NO!

First - the guy is an incredible DUNCE! After everything he's been through w/his own screw-ups and following media deluge, and after he saw what Aldon went through - he goes out and COMPLETELY F---S UP! The guy is flat out stupid.

That said, there is so much we really don't know about what happened. And, IMO, there may be something that can alter the BAD impression his bone-headed decision has caused.

BUT please realize Brass Knuckles are a weapon of criminals and just owning them casts a dark cloud of guilt.

I don't know all the league laws and in & outs but this is not good going forward.

first of all let us not judge , until all the facts are collected , did pitt cut big ben or seattle cut lynch after there incident , some of you so called niner fans are to soft , he only screwed up once in the eyes of the law ,
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'm gonna assume Culliver gets suspended for a couple games by Goodell, so cutting him won't really make any sense as of right now. Whatever the case though, I'm looking forward to Justin Gilbert, Darqueze Dennard, Jason Verrett, Kyle Fuller or LaMarcus Joyner possibly becoming a 49er!!!
Originally posted by Niners99:
I get it. When pro bowler Aldon Smith screws up, look the other way. When a young CB screws up, "we wont tolerate this behavior".

Aldon was FAR worse than this. He was an alcoholic getting multiple DUI's, firing a gun off near a crowd of people, and getting himself stabbed.

Culliver bumped into a biker, flashes a guy some brass knuckles, then runs away, and hes the scum of the earth? Really?

Culliver is an idiot, but we dont have the CB depth to be "letting people know that Santa Clara doesnt
What I read was that Aldon fired a gun after he asked a crowd of people to leave his property. He did something stupid and dangerous where no one was hurt in his DUI, and showed further irresponsiblility by committing this same crime again. He has shown he is irresponsible and makes bad choices. This problem can be fixed with mentoring and maturity.

Culliver showed he is cold and can be heartless. He left an injured pedestrian thinking only of himself. This may be understood if he claimed he was just too freaked out at the time and so he mad a bad decision but, he then threatens to beat a person trying to do the right thing. This is after his first incident has already happened and he has had at least a few minutes to calm down and realize the whole situation. He is a future problem waiting to happen.

I wouldn't want Sherman on our team because of the person he is. I feel the same way about Culliver. It isn't just about winning, its about how you win. The 49ers as an organization has done a good job of staying morally respectable these last 5 years. Been a "fan" my whole life but, I haven't missed a game in 5 years.

Draft two CBs within their first 4 or 5 picks and this team will be fine without him. I would even be okay with a suspension until he has proven his commitment to the team and becoming a better person.
[ Edited by jvangeystel on Mar 30, 2014 at 10:45 AM ]
The thing that really bothers me about Culliver is the way he reacted after making contact with the bicyclist; the first thing he does is flee the scene in an attempt to not have to answer for the collision with no regard for someone who could have been seriously injured. I wasn't there, all the details I have are from the reports but until something else comes out I'm going to have a hard time rooting for this guy.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
The thing that really bothers me about Culliver is the way he reacted after making contact with the bicyclist; the first thing he does is flee the scene in an attempt to not have to answer for the collision with no regard for someone who could have been seriously injured. I wasn't there, all the details I have are from the reports but until something else comes out I'm going to have a hard time rooting for this guy.

and having something he clearly knows is against the law
Share 49ersWebzone