LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 363 users in the forums

Who would be the best choice to replace Harbaugh?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who would be the best choice to replace Harbaugh?

Jim Tomsula
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by crake49:
Vince Lombardi? Don Shula? Bill Walsh? Bill Parcels? Joe Gibbs? Jimmy Johnson? Any of those guys would probably be fine.

Jimmy Johnson was average in Miami, Joe Gibbs could do nothing after he unretired. Bill Parcels couldn't do much with the Jets or Dallas. Even Bill Walsh was 17-17-1 from 92-94 with Stanford.

they never reached the heights they were once at, but gibbs in his 2nd go around in washington had them as a playoff team 2 times and parcells had the jets in the afc title game.

Still neither lived up to expectations.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
I would go with Jim Mora Jr. I think he has learned a lot since his 1st NFL head coaching job until now. He wasn't ready his 1st time around, he is doing a good job at UCLA, and I think he has a really good defensive mind.
Vince Lombardi? Don Shula? Bill Walsh? Bill Parcels? Joe Gibbs? Jimmy Johnson? Any of those guys would probably be fine.

Jimmy Johnson was average in Miami, Joe Gibbs could do nothing after he unretired. Bill Parcels couldn't do much with the Jets or Dallas. Even Bill Walsh was 17-17-1 from 92-94 with Stanford.

they never reached the heights they were once at, but gibbs in his 2nd go around in washington had them as a playoff team 2 times and parcells had the jets in the afc title game.

as i remember parcells took over a 1 win jets team and in less than 2 years was in an afc title game.
  • pd24
  • Veteran

as i remember parcells took over a 1 win jets team and in less than 2 years was in an afc title game.
He took the Pats to the Pats to the SUperbowl in 1996. A team that wasn't any good until he got there.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by SoCold:
FACT

Jim Harbaugh winning % .766

John Madden .752
Vince Lombardi .738

three straight NFCCG and a SB

anyone else in the history of forever say that?

This may be true for the NFC - but Marv Levy did it 4 straight SUPER BOWLS ...... does that make Levy better than Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells, Joe Gibbs? History remembers all of those coaches much more favorably.

Is there a special "Three Straight NFCCG" Lombardi Trophy for that?

John has one...
Vince has NFL Championships....

No trophies for second place. JH has a better winning percentage than Bill Walsh. Now, who would like to have Bill Walsh back if it were at all possible?

Yep, thought so.

so you wanna get ride of him before he has a chance to win a SB is that it?

you can't win if you don't get there

No don't change the parameters of your original argument. This is about Harbaugh compared to coaches who haven't done what he has done historically. Stay with that ....

I could make the same argument about Marv Levy who did even better than Harbaugh and had a better team 4 straight seasons to the Super Bowl. I didn't say get rid of him - the name of this thread is "who would better replace him" not "do you want to get rid of him."

Someone tried to compare him to Gruden and said that Gruden was "overrated" after his "Super Bowl win" ....lol. You just can't gloss over the standard by which every team, organization, coach, QB and fan uses as a measuring stick for success.

Jim Harbaugh is the best thing to happen to the 49ers in the last two decades

FACT

One turnover away from going to a SB his 1st year
One play away from winning a SB his 2nd year
One play away from going back to the SB his 3rd year

all the talk of replacing him is stupid

I'd take Jim over any other coach in the game right now and he has the chance to be a legend

if you let him

Your opinion. That's great. If you think replacing him is dumb just come out and say so ... don't try to create comparisons that don't support your point of view..

I see you shifted categories again - so now the category isn't 3 NFC Championships, it's who's the best thing to come along for the 49ers in the past 20 years.

Again I'd disagree .... the organization in 1996-1997 was pretty stout and lost to the NFC Champ at the time .....

I could also flip those stats you just quoted ......

Why One turnover away from going to a SB his 1st year
Why One play away from winning a SB his 2nd year
Why One play away from going back to the SB his 3rd year

Yeah these are all true - one play away on OFFENSE and the only reason why we were in any of these games was because of the defensive play/coaching. Harbs wasn't brought in to be a defensive coach. He was brought in to be an offensive minded coach who knew QBs. He was brought in to provide a shot to the offense in all the examples you provided, it was the offense that just couldn't quite deliver. Where was the running game in all three of those contests? Was the passing game clutch?

Is Harbs a better option sure but for every conceivable "fact" that people can argue in this manner, the basic point is still true.

No trophy. You can't compare him to coaches who have one.

the job of a Head Coach is putting the players in the best position to win the game

he's done that on one of the highest levels the last three years

yes I think replacing one of the top coaches in the league the last three years would be very stupid

Jim should just retire now he'd have like the 2nd highest winning % of all time

LOL ... wow this target is moving ....

Okay so I can keep up .....

First he's the best coach because "he" took his team to the NFCCG three straight years - YES
Then "he's" the best thing that's happened to the team in 20 years - YES, that is correct
Then "he" was one play three years in a row from closing the deal ... - Yeah it's on the tapes

... not his team, or his players, or his coordinators or the organization ... "he". - Didn't see Nolan or Singletary do it with the same team in '09 or '10

Now we're just down to "the job of a Head Coach is putting the players in the best position to win the game" - well again that's another statement that can be challenged right? That's a far cry from the previous praise. - All the the above are put together to make a point, Jim is a good coach and is doing his job very well

Running when 10 are in the box is that "putting the players in the best position to win the game"? Creating a system that calls plays by polling the entire team, polling the offensive coaches and finally determining what play gets filtered into the QB is that "putting the players in the best position to win the game"? Staying with the run when you should and going away from the run when you shouldn't, is that "putting the players in the best position to win the game"? A passing offense that only features 3 players outside of your QB (Boldin, Crabtree, Davis), understanding this is a TE focused offense, and that has been countered with little development of younger offensive players, is that "putting the players in the best position to win the game"? - You know he's running the Walsh offense right with his own twist, seems to be working.

Again am I saying get rid of JH? No but stating that no one could ever do what he's doing is a little myopic. People can't have it both ways; if it takes a team to win, then JH can't get all the credit. If he does get all the credit, then the he also gets the blame when the "team" doesn't win. - Never said no one could but last time I checked no one coach has taken his team to three straight NFCCG in his first three years as an NFL coach. It's pretty impressive.

imo
  • dara
  • Veteran
Originally posted by montana2rice:
HOW is no one not naming Tomsula????

The guy will be our coach and he will lead our team to a Superbowl championship!

lol no way
  • dara
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pd24:
I would go with Jim Mora Jr. I think he has learned a lot since his 1st NFL head coaching job until now. He wasn't ready his 1st time around, he is doing a good job at UCLA, and I think he has a really good defensive mind.

Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by SFrush:
Gruden.

Since his Super Bowl win:

2003- 7-9
2004- 5-11
2005- 11-5
2006- 4-12
2007- 9-7
2008- 9-7
2009- retired
2010- retired
2011- retired
2012- retired
2013- retired

Sounds like a GREAT option.

Gruden is so overrated. He has a low stress, high paying job now. Why would he leave anyways?

The truth is there is nobody even close to Harbaugh available. Time to suck it up and let him be who he is, or face being a loser again.

The ONLY reason Gruden got that superbowl win is because they played his former team, and he knew exactly what they were doing. He admitted it himself.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by SFrush:
Gruden.

Since his Super Bowl win:

2003- 7-9
2004- 5-11
2005- 11-5
2006- 4-12
2007- 9-7
2008- 9-7
2009- retired
2010- retired
2011- retired
2012- retired
2013- retired

Sounds like a GREAT option.

Gruden is so overrated. He has a low stress, high paying job now. Why would he leave anyways?

The truth is there is nobody even close to Harbaugh available. Time to suck it up and let him be who he is, or face being a loser again.

The ONLY reason Gruden got that superbowl win is because they played his former team, and he knew exactly what they were doing. He admitted it himself.

Did they play the Raiders for all 16 regular season games, and in the NFC playoffs?

Originally posted by pd24:

He took the Pats to the Pats to the SUperbowl in 1996. A team that wasn't any good until he got there.

Didn't Parcels take the jets to the playoffs in 2 years after they didn't even win a game the year before he took over? Also, you can't compare what he did in dallas because his hands were tied by jerry jones. Have to love Parcells quote "You want me to make dinner, you better let me buy the ingredients", somthing like that. He's also the one responsible for the pats dynasty, not belli-cheat.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
FACT

Jim Harbaugh winning % .766

John Madden .752
Vince Lombardi .738

three straight NFCCG and a SB

anyone else in the history of forever say that?

This may be true for the NFC - but Marv Levy did it 4 straight SUPER BOWLS ...... does that make Levy better than Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells, Joe Gibbs? History remembers all of those coaches much more favorably.

Is there a special "Three Straight NFCCG" Lombardi Trophy for that?

John has one...
Vince has NFL Championships....

No trophies for second place. JH has a better winning percentage than Bill Walsh. Now, who would like to have Bill Walsh back if it were at all possible?

Yep, thought so.

so you wanna get ride of him before he has a chance to win a SB is that it?

you can't win if you don't get there

No don't change the parameters of your original argument. This is about Harbaugh compared to coaches who haven't done what he has done historically. Stay with that ....

I could make the same argument about Marv Levy who did even better than Harbaugh and had a better team 4 straight seasons to the Super Bowl. I didn't say get rid of him - the name of this thread is "who would better replace him" not "do you want to get rid of him."

Someone tried to compare him to Gruden and said that Gruden was "overrated" after his "Super Bowl win" ....lol. You just can't gloss over the standard by which every team, organization, coach, QB and fan uses as a measuring stick for success.

Jim Harbaugh is the best thing to happen to the 49ers in the last two decades

FACT

One turnover away from going to a SB his 1st year
One play away from winning a SB his 2nd year
One play away from going back to the SB his 3rd year

all the talk of replacing him is stupid

I'd take Jim over any other coach in the game right now and he has the chance to be a legend

if you let him

Your opinion. That's great. If you think replacing him is dumb just come out and say so ... don't try to create comparisons that don't support your point of view..

I see you shifted categories again - so now the category isn't 3 NFC Championships, it's who's the best thing to come along for the 49ers in the past 20 years.

Again I'd disagree .... the organization in 1996-1997 was pretty stout and lost to the NFC Champ at the time .....

I could also flip those stats you just quoted ......

Why One turnover away from going to a SB his 1st year
Why One play away from winning a SB his 2nd year
Why One play away from going back to the SB his 3rd year

Yeah these are all true - one play away on OFFENSE and the only reason why we were in any of these games was because of the defensive play/coaching. Harbs wasn't brought in to be a defensive coach. He was brought in to be an offensive minded coach who knew QBs. He was brought in to provide a shot to the offense in all the examples you provided, it was the offense that just couldn't quite deliver. Where was the running game in all three of those contests? Was the passing game clutch?

Is Harbs a better option sure but for every conceivable "fact" that people can argue in this manner, the basic point is still true.

No trophy. You can't compare him to coaches who have one.

the job of a Head Coach is putting the players in the best position to win the game

he's done that on one of the highest levels the last three years

yes I think replacing one of the top coaches in the league the last three years would be very stupid

Jim should just retire now he'd have like the 2nd highest winning % of all time

LOL ... wow this target is moving ....

Okay so I can keep up .....

First he's the best coach because "he" took his team to the NFCCG three straight years - YES
Then "he's" the best thing that's happened to the team in 20 years - YES, that is correct
Then "he" was one play three years in a row from closing the deal ... - Yeah it's on the tapes

... not his team, or his players, or his coordinators or the organization ... "he". - Didn't see Nolan or Singletary do it with the same team in '09 or '10

Now we're just down to "the job of a Head Coach is putting the players in the best position to win the game" - well again that's another statement that can be challenged right? That's a far cry from the previous praise. - All the the above are put together to make a point, Jim is a good coach and is doing his job very well

Running when 10 are in the box is that "putting the players in the best position to win the game"? Creating a system that calls plays by polling the entire team, polling the offensive coaches and finally determining what play gets filtered into the QB is that "putting the players in the best position to win the game"? Staying with the run when you should and going away from the run when you shouldn't, is that "putting the players in the best position to win the game"? A passing offense that only features 3 players outside of your QB (Boldin, Crabtree, Davis), understanding this is a TE focused offense, and that has been countered with little development of younger offensive players, is that "putting the players in the best position to win the game"? - You know he's running the Walsh offense right with his own twist, seems to be working.

Again am I saying get rid of JH? No but stating that no one could ever do what he's doing is a little myopic. People can't have it both ways; if it takes a team to win, then JH can't get all the credit. If he does get all the credit, then the he also gets the blame when the "team" doesn't win. - Never said no one could but last time I checked no one coach has taken his team to three straight NFCCG in his first three years as an NFL coach. It's pretty impressive.

imo

I love you guys and the JH world you've all created - it looks something like this .....

49ers have not better coach on earth
And that's because he's better than Dennis Erickson, Mike Nolan, and Mike Singletary
It's not because his offense is NOT the WCO, but a run-oriented offense with a passing game that features TEs
And because he's coached a TEAM that's been to NFCCG in three seasons, had nothing to do really with the defense
And the times where the team was lacking on offense (the reason why the didn't win those games) doesn't really matter
And he gets credit for "coaching" defense and offense and by himself have delivered the wins on the team

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

It couldn't possibly be that Dennis Erickson, Mike Nolan, and Mike Singletary were so bad at coaching (2 rooks) that there are a lot of candidates better than they are (neither of them are even considered for HC positions after leaving 49ers)

We probably can't run a true WCO because Kap isn't ready for that and

Much of the success the team has seen was because Fangio and the staff that works under him have created a perennial defensive juggernaut - much of which was created under Nolan/Singletary and

When the 49ers can't use a traditional run-game, their only answer is to use their QB as a RB, to whom we're now being told we should lock in at $18M a year and pray he doesn't get hurt because

The passing offense has NOT improved since the day JH signed up but we're supposed to believe just one fast, deep threat receiver will finally make it all work ....

-----------------------------

Again, not saying we should immediately replace JH, just saying it's not a open and shut case.

I wanted to stop reading there, do you even english bro?

Is there another coach with a higher winning % the last three years? Or ever to start their careers?

My point is that he's good and should not be replaced.

deal with it
Some posters around here seem to think people are comparing Harbaugh to Singletary, Nolan and Erickson. Please. There is no comparison with those guys. Those guys aren't within shouting distance of the strata Jim Harbaugh has already carved out for himself. At this point, I'm comparing him to Vince Lombardi, Bill Walsh, Bill Parcels, Joe Gibbs, Jimmy Johnson and Bill Belichick.

And the reason I'm comparing him to those guys is that he's done some things they never accomplished in his short NFL head coaching career. And yes, I understand that one thing he hasn't done that they did do is win a Super Bowl. He's been coaching in the NFL now for 3 years and he's been spectacularly successful. My guess is that he'll take a team to a championship or two and I'm hoping that it's the Niners.
why is this up for discussion.
Originally posted by Constantine:
why is this up for discussion.

I'm gonna say boredom and wishful thinking on the part of fans who simply do not like Jim Harbaugh.
Share 49ersWebzone