There are 265 users in the forums

2014 Team Needs - Updates

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by NCommand:
A personal dietitian / trainer for Greg Roman!!

LMAO! You'd think fat coaches would utilize all the nuritionists and MD's hired by the team...or not.

He was ecstatic when Hostess Twinkies made their comeback
the only thing I will ever see eye to eye with roman on.. i love banana twinkies
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Breslin/Marquardt cut but TE Kevin Greene signed Chase Thomas signed to the 90.

Originally posted by DeUh:

You're on it as always!
Originally posted by cciowa:

LMAO! You'd think fat coaches would utilize all the nuritionists and MD's hired by the team...or not.

the only thing I will ever see eye to eye with roman on.. i love banana twinkies

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

banana filling was the original filling of the twinkie till world war two and banana rationing took place. i am sure you are saying"now that i know that what am i supposed to do? i got a box at wall mart yesterday for only 3 dollars
banana filling was the original filling of the twinkie till world war two and banana rationing took place. i am sure you are saying"now that i know that what am i supposed to do? i got a box at wall mart yesterday for only 3 dollars

LOL! No, I love banana bread, banana splits, bananas...just not twinkies!
All rookies are now signed sealed and delivered! AB feel free to note the contract details here for all. I'll update the OP.
Thank you MM...rookie salaries/cap all updated on the OP.
  • Taco
  • Veteran
we need to hire tom house as a throwing coach and someone to help with footwork for kaepernick. kaep has a rocket arm but needs help with release points delivery speeds. the kid is good but not as great as hes made out to be. some people confuse his potential with his current ability. on some throws he put more heat than necessary causing some close drops.
Originally posted by Taco:
we need to hire tom house as a throwing coach and someone to help with footwork for kaepernick. kaep has a rocket arm but needs help with release points delivery speeds. the kid is good but not as great as hes made out to be. some people confuse his potential with his current ability. on some throws he put more heat than necessary causing some close drops.

He relies so much on his arm strength he seems to throw late often...instead of trusting the routes and "throwing guys open." This should be anothert point of coaching along with progression reading when play designs have multiple options, utilizing the short game/check-downs, taking most snaps under center, etc.

It's Grant but these battles are spot on:

1. Chris Culliver (6-0, 199 pounds, 25 years old) vs. Chris Cook (6-2, 212, 27) vs. Dontae Johnson (6-2, 200, 22) for No.2 cornerback

Culliver is the favorite – the 49ers spent a third-round pick on him in 2011. But he tore his ACL a year ago and does not seem to have fully recovered yet from that injury. He did not participate in position or team drills during last week's open OTA. Tramaine Brock started at left cornerback, and Chris Cook started in Culliver's place at right cornerback.

Cook got beat by Anquan Boldin during a one-on-one drill. But later during an 11-on-11 drill, Cook batted away a deep pass thrown by Colin Kaepernick intended for Brandon Lloyd.

Johnson played both left and right cornerback on the second-team defense during team drills last Thursday afternoon. During a one-on-one drills, he got beat by Devon Wylie and Kassim Osgood.

2. Jimmie Ward (5-11, 193, 22) vs. Perrish Cox (6-0, 190, 27) vs. Eric Wright (5-10, 200, 28) for No.3 (Nickel) cornerback

Ward is the favorite – the 49ers spent a first-round pick on him this year. But he will not participate in any of the OTAs or minicamps because he's rehabbing a broken foot. If the foot completely heals by the time training camp starts, Ward probably will win this job.

He'll have to earn it, though. Perrish Cox is extremely competitive and he tends to play well during offseason practices. Last Thursday, he broke up a potential touchdown pass from Colin Kaepernick to Kassim Osgood in the red zone. And two years ago during an 11-on-11 live-tackling team drill, Cox knocked Anthony Dixon onto his back.

Wright may be better in coverage than Cox or Ward. Wright used to be a starting CB for the Lions and the Buccaneers. He's faster and apparently bigger than Ward or Cox – the 49ers list Wright at 200 pounds this year. But he seems to have injured himself already – he observed last Thursday's practice from the sideline.

3. Stevie Johnson (6-2, 207, 27) vs. Brandon Lloyd (6-0, 200, 32) vs. Quinton Patton (6-0, 204, 23) v. Bruce Ellington (5-9, 197, 22) for No.3 wide receiver

Johnson is the favorite – he's set to earn more money than the others. But Johnson didn't play well last season, mostly due to injuries. And he seems to have injured himself already this offseason. He didn't participate in last Thursday's practice. Jim Harbaugh said Johnson is working through something.

Lloyd was the best receiver on the field last Thursday afternoon. He was the only receiver who caught a touchdown during team drills.

Patton played very well, too. He rotated in with the first-team offense and beat Brock twice during a one-on-one drill, and once during a seven-on-seven drill.

Ellington played with the second-team offense.

4. Marcus Martin (6-3, 321, 20) vs. Daniel Kilgore (6-3, 308, 26) for center

Martin is the favorite, even though he's a 20-year-old rookie. The 49ers spent a third-round pick on him this year. They wouldn't have picked him if they had confidence in Kilgore, whom they drafted in the fifth round in 2011. Don't be surprised if Martin starts taking first-team reps halfway through training camp.

5. Tank Carradine (6-4, 273, 24) vs. Demarcus Dobbs (6-2, 282, 26) for Justin Smith and Ray McDonald's backup

Smith is getting old and McDonald isn't much of a pass rusher. The 49ers need a defensive tackle who can rotate in with Smith and McDonald and rush the passer on third down in the 49ers' sub packages.

Carradine is the favorite – the 49ers spent a second-round pick on him in 2013. But he tore his ACL last year, and the 49ers are bringing him back slowly. If he does not play well during training camp, he could fall behind Dobbs because Dobbs always plays well during training camp.

Dobbs is almost ten pounds heavier than Carradine, too. Carradine might be better suited to play defensive end in the 49ers' sub packages next season.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/49ers-top-5-position-battles-offseason/

I'd also add there is a big-time battle at the KO/PR jobs with the following: PR/KOR: LaMichael James; Perrish Cox, Darryl Morris, Devon Wiley, Bruce Ellington, L.J. McCray & Kenneth Acker (even Carlos Hyde was taking snaps here).
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 2, 2014 at 7:32 AM ]
Cap updated per MM:

The 49ers have an estimated $8.165 million in cap room (Rogers off the books). Only the top-51 paid players on a team's offseason roster count against the cap until the final cuts. Only three 49ers draft picks count against the top-51. Center Marcus Martin's $587,813 cap figure is No. 51.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/rogers-49ers-books-opens-room-kap-extension
It's Grant but these battles are spot on:

1. Chris Culliver (6-0, 199 pounds, 25 years old) vs. Chris Cook (6-2, 212, 27) vs. Dontae Johnson (6-2, 200, 22) for No.2 cornerback

Culliver is the favorite – the 49ers spent a third-round pick on him in 2011. But he tore his ACL a year ago and does not seem to have fully recovered yet from that injury. He did not participate in position or team drills during last week's open OTA. Tramaine Brock started at left cornerback, and Chris Cook started in Culliver's place at right cornerback.

Cook got beat by Anquan Boldin during a one-on-one drill. But later during an 11-on-11 drill, Cook batted away a deep pass thrown by Colin Kaepernick intended for Brandon Lloyd.

Johnson played both left and right cornerback on the second-team defense during team drills last Thursday afternoon. During a one-on-one drills, he got beat by Devon Wylie and Kassim Osgood.

2. Jimmie Ward (5-11, 193, 22) vs. Perrish Cox (6-0, 190, 27) vs. Eric Wright (5-10, 200, 28) for No.3 (Nickel) cornerback

Ward is the favorite – the 49ers spent a first-round pick on him this year. But he will not participate in any of the OTAs or minicamps because he's rehabbing a broken foot. If the foot completely heals by the time training camp starts, Ward probably will win this job.

He'll have to earn it, though. Perrish Cox is extremely competitive and he tends to play well during offseason practices. Last Thursday, he broke up a potential touchdown pass from Colin Kaepernick to Kassim Osgood in the red zone. And two years ago during an 11-on-11 live-tackling team drill, Cox knocked Anthony Dixon onto his back.

Wright may be better in coverage than Cox or Ward. Wright used to be a starting CB for the Lions and the Buccaneers. He's faster and apparently bigger than Ward or Cox – the 49ers list Wright at 200 pounds this year. But he seems to have injured himself already – he observed last Thursday's practice from the sideline.

3. Stevie Johnson (6-2, 207, 27) vs. Brandon Lloyd (6-0, 200, 32) vs. Quinton Patton (6-0, 204, 23) v. Bruce Ellington (5-9, 197, 22) for No.3 wide receiver

Johnson is the favorite – he's set to earn more money than the others. But Johnson didn't play well last season, mostly due to injuries. And he seems to have injured himself already this offseason. He didn't participate in last Thursday's practice. Jim Harbaugh said Johnson is working through something.

Lloyd was the best receiver on the field last Thursday afternoon. He was the only receiver who caught a touchdown during team drills.

Patton played very well, too. He rotated in with the first-team offense and beat Brock twice during a one-on-one drill, and once during a seven-on-seven drill.

Ellington played with the second-team offense.

4. Marcus Martin (6-3, 321, 20) vs. Daniel Kilgore (6-3, 308, 26) for center

Martin is the favorite, even though he's a 20-year-old rookie. The 49ers spent a third-round pick on him this year. They wouldn't have picked him if they had confidence in Kilgore, whom they drafted in the fifth round in 2011. Don't be surprised if Martin starts taking first-team reps halfway through training camp.

5. Tank Carradine (6-4, 273, 24) vs. Demarcus Dobbs (6-2, 282, 26) for Justin Smith and Ray McDonald's backup

Smith is getting old and McDonald isn't much of a pass rusher. The 49ers need a defensive tackle who can rotate in with Smith and McDonald and rush the passer on third down in the 49ers' sub packages.

Carradine is the favorite – the 49ers spent a second-round pick on him in 2013. But he tore his ACL last year, and the 49ers are bringing him back slowly. If he does not play well during training camp, he could fall behind Dobbs because Dobbs always plays well during training camp.

Dobbs is almost ten pounds heavier than Carradine, too. Carradine might be better suited to play defensive end in the 49ers' sub packages next season.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/49ers-top-5-position-battles-offseason/

I'd also add there is a big-time battle at the KO/PR jobs with the following: PR/KOR: LaMichael James; Perrish Cox, Darryl Morris, Devon Wiley, Bruce Ellington, L.J. McCray & Kenneth Acker (even Carlos Hyde was taking snaps here).

What i don't get from this is the comment that Culliver is not fully recovered. I have heard he is back to 100%.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
What i don't get from this is the comment that Culliver is not fully recovered. I have heard he is back to 100%.

Good question. My best guess is that this team historically brings guys along VERY slowly and cautiously. He's had a full year to recover and mentally, there isn't anything he needs to do so they may want to use this opportunity to ensure he gets his NFL legs back while ALSO giving the young guys a chance (Johnson, Cook, Acker, Wright, etc.) extra snaps to see if anyone emerges. This team, if you pay close attention during pre season, always has veterans sitting out (via all sorts of methods) to ensure the young guys get as many snaps as possible for full evaluation. I wouldn't even be surprised if they used contract negotiation talks as a way to look at the two L/RG and TE positions such as Boone and Davis to get a great look at McDonald and Carrier/Greene (H-backs), respectively. There is limited time to develop players and a FO can use all sorts of tactics to get around to do it (i.e. such as Okoye's mystery injury last year in the final pre season game).
I'll say it again, we may need another quality OT. Outside of Staley and Davis, we now only have Carter Bykowski and Jonathan Martin. Netter was let go for Blake. We don't ever want to have to move Boone over again from RG (and he may be holding out anyhow).
Share 49ersWebzone