LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 145 users in the forums

How much to pay Iupati?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Liono
I like Iupati, we spent a 1st round pick on him, developed him, and I hope we can keep him. But I don't want to see us give him a ridiculous contract. How much better is our run game with him in there than a run of the mill guard? For as highly touted as the 49ers lineman are individually, they were average in pass protection and we've struggled in short yardage power situations the past few years. If you have a guard that is good enough to maul someone over and pick you up a 1st down (like a Larry Allen), sure give him a big contract.

I have the feeling some crappy team is going to offer Iupati a massive deal, and like Dashon Goldson, I think we're better off letting him walk and replacing him with a less expensive option, and like the Goldson situation, I don't think we'll be much worse off for it.
Might not be a crappy team to offer him big money. Could be any team needing a guard. I think he's gonna leave once he's a free agent. Can't keep everybody
It would be nice to get him for around $5 mill per year, but the going rate for the top OG's is closer to $8 million per. I think he's a goner unless he really loves it here . . . really really loves it here.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
dont pay him, let him walk and draft a replacement
  • thl408
If Iupati is smart, he waits until after the 14-15 season to start negotiating. Sure injury can happen anytime, but using this past season as leverage at the negotiating table does him no favors. If the team is smart, they try to extend him now and hope he improves in pass pro. He's a dominant run blocker, no doubt. A better Center can boost the overall interior pass protection and can make Iupati look better.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
With the other contracts to worry about, may have to let him go.

There's always going to be turnover with you best players. You just have to balance your budget with strategic drafting and intelligent game scheme's.
What exactly is iupati's strength? He's not the most mobile guard and he doesn't exactly blow somebody off of the LOS either. I've seen him engulf LB's when he gets to the second level and seal off DT's when he traps. But honestly, I think he is replaceable if we want similar production. A more mobile guard might pull or trap better than Iupati. I've also seen iupati get beat in pass pro a few times by smaller type DT's.
Originally posted by susweel:

THIS!!!!
  • dj43
Originally posted by fister30:
What exactly is iupati's strength? He's not the most mobile guard and he doesn't exactly blow somebody off of the LOS either. I've seen him engulf LB's when he gets to the second level and seal off DT's when he traps. But honestly, I think he is replaceable if we want similar production. A more mobile guard might pull or trap better than Iupati. I've also seen iupati get beat in pass pro a few times by smaller type DT's.

When healthy, he does move people off the LOS. This past season he was limited by injuries almost all year.

He isn't particularly mobile but he pulls better than Boone. However, I do not see that as a reason for the team to let him go. This run offense does not use pulling linemen very often by design. While I would like to see lighter, more mobile offensive linemen I don't see that happening with Harbaugh as coach.

The only reason I can see for letting him walk would be his cap number. He is one of the top 3 or 4 guards in the league when healthy and his agent will likely demand he be paid like one. In that case, I see no way Baalke re-signs him. I believe the coaching staff sees Looney as being capable of replacing him though at some drop in level.
guards are largely a plug and play position. its not to say iupati isnt good, its just that theres a high probability of finding a guy who can play just as well for a much cheaper salary.

Originally posted by ElephantHaley:

THIS!!!!

what's the compensation pick if this happens?
Originally posted by socalniner:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:

THIS!!!!

what's the compensation pick if this happens?

probably a mid rounder but it would not be until 2016
  • thl408
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by fister30:

When healthy, he does move people off the LOS. This past season he was limited by injuries almost all year.

He isn't particularly mobile but he pulls better than Boone. However, I do not see that as a reason for the team to let him go. This run offense does not use pulling linemen very often by design. While I would like to see lighter, more mobile offensive linemen I don't see that happening with Harbaugh as coach.

The only reason I can see for letting him walk would be his cap number. He is one of the top 3 or 4 guards in the league when healthy and his agent will likely demand he be paid like one. In that case, I see no way Baalke re-signs him. I believe the coaching staff sees Looney as being capable of replacing him though at some drop in level.

I hope you are right about Looney. But then why was Snyder first off the bench when Iupati was injured?
Blame the freakin' Titans for grossly overpaying Andy Levitre...he hasn't sniffed the Pro Bowl yet and they gave him almost $47M over 6 years. I think we all know what Iupati's agent will ask for...and I don't see the Niners paying it. Looney could fill in nicely at LG and I doubt our OL would skip a beat. Baalke will likely give us a big hint if he drafts a good interior OL.
As much as I like Iupati he'll probably be the odd man out. He'll command too much $$$.

A top notch Guard is not a very easy thing to get as our situation before he arrived will bear out.

Still, I'm confident JH/Trent will figure it out.

There are 2 guys I've been looking at:

A). FA - Geoff Schwartz 6'6" 340. He has played LG/RG/RT and might be cap friendly while we develop a draft pick

B). Gabe Jackson 6'4" 335 - Mississippi Stare probably a 3rd round selection

Then there is Looney and from the one game he came into play - he did pretty good. Would need to see more to have a more informed opinion. BUT on the "plus" side, he has been on the team for 2 + years and knows the playbook.
Share 49ersWebzone