LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

Pass to run

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We are going to have to pass a lot to win this game... Kap is going to have to have his best game.... Hell the whole team is going to need flawless performance for us to win this one...
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
No doubt cos we won't be able to run in this game. Our run game has been figured out and they have shut down our run game before. They want us to beat them by throwing the ball cos they are confident the Legion of Boom will be able to cover our WRs with or without Browner and Thurmond. Just look at the Saints last night, their receivers were shut down.

We will need to run multiple WR sets to give us a chance of getting anyone open. I posted about this before on the pre-game thread, we better practise our passing game like mad this week and install some new plays.
Originally posted by Rascal:
No doubt cos we won't be able to run in this game. Our run game has been figured out and they have shut down our run game before. They want us to beat them by throwing the ball cos they are confident the Legion of Boom will be able to cover our WRs with or without Browner and Thurmond. Just look at the Saints last night, their receivers were shut down.

We will need to run multiple WR sets to give us a chance of getting anyone open. I posted about this before on the pre-game thread, we better practise our passing game like mad this week and install some new plays.

I think we're really going to need Manningham to challenge the 3rd DB. I think Boldin should also play in the slot so Rio and Crab can try to test the single high safety. I think Davis will have SS/LB coverage so that's should create numerical advantages for the WR sets.

I think Iupati is going to make all the difference in the run game. He allows Snyder move to RG which should strength run blocking to the right. It also gives them the NFL best pulling guard. If they can force a couple of 7 man boxes they have to exploit them but realistically without Iupati it's going to be really hard.

I think we need the run game to be honest. The Seattle defense is very dynamic and the offense needs to be multi dimensional. They have to have every edge possible because this game could come down to a few 3rd down conversions.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eonblue:
I think we're really going to need Manningham to challenge the 3rd DB. I think Boldin should also play in the slot so Rio and Crab can try to test the single high safety. I think Davis will have SS/LB coverage so that's should create numerical advantages for the WR sets.

I think Iupati is going to make all the difference in the run game. He allows Snyder move to RG which should strength run blocking to the right. It also gives them the NFL best pulling guard. If they can force a couple of 7 man boxes they have to exploit them but realistically without Iupati it's going to be really hard.

I think we need the run game to be honest. The Seattle defense is very dynamic and the offense needs to be multi dimensional. They have to have every edge possible because this game could come down to a few 3rd down conversions.

I get what you are saying cos is never a good idea to be one dimensional. But, the truth is not unless we can mount a legit run game, otherwise we will only be doing it for the show. Their D is too confident for that, especially with Lupati and Staley out I believe their front 7 alone will probably be enough to stuff our run.

That means at the end of the day, it will be down to our passing game if we want to put points on the board. We can't afford to be conservative in this game, unlike what we have done in the past, we need to send multiple receivers downfield to force them pick their posion that is of course if Kap is willing to throw to anyone other than his usual targets, but I don't think he will have a choice. Is time for him to be more trusting on the rest of the receiving corps such as Manningham and Baldwin.
[ Edited by Rascal on Dec 3, 2013 at 7:52 AM ]
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Totally agree! Hawks are going to stack the box and dare Kaep to beat them because he has yet to do that. It doesn't help though that Staley and possible Iaputi is out for thsi game.
Hate how Wilson justs tosses up the ball & his receiver comes down with it. Lucky F-in team.
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
Hate how Wilson justs tosses up the ball & his receiver comes down with it. Lucky F-in team.

yup ...that touchdown in the 3rd was total luck ...they sure got the lucky breaks last night
  • thl408
Originally posted by maya0724:
We are going to have to pass a lot to win this game... Kap is going to have to have his best game.... Hell the whole team is going to need flawless performance for us to win this one...

With a fully able WR corp at their disposal, passing first is a legit strategy. HaRo has shown the desire to go with a spread passing attack. They came out in week 1 wanting to spread it and pass it. Now that the WRs are back, take Vance/Miller out and put Ham in. Versus SEA, Kap will have to be quick with his decisions. There may not be time for a third read. One read, two read, run/checkdown. Live to play another down. Force SEA to take out a LB and play their next CB on the depth chart. Keep Gore in for pass protection. Put the ball in Kap's hands. With two injured all-pro Olinemen out, the running game will suffer greatly.

On the flip side, SEA may see this and force the 49ers to run it using these 2 backup Olinemen. I would consider that defensive strategy if I was Carroll.
LOL....Pass to run? Roman's head is spinning...
Long, physical outside WR routes (beating up their secondary), then while they pass rush, target Gore, Hunter, James and McDonald all first half on short, underneath behind-the-DL routes for 5-10 yards at a time. Then in the second half, start utilizing those outside receivers on slants, crossing patterns off go-routes, post patterns, etc. Target their 2nd and 3rd CB's and double-move their secondary to death (esp. their S's). Don't play INTO their pass rush or press coverage. Use it to your advantage. Done.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 3, 2013 at 12:06 PM ]

after watching the game last night the biggest thing is giving kap time to throw the ball..we need to stop there pass rush bc they were getting to brees when only rushing 4 and 3 at times..which of course made there cb problem not look like a weakness while it truly is..i promise if kap gets time and our oline plays great we will torch there cbs..i want boldin to do what he does and physically dominate Sherman..and no way Maxwell can guard crabs..
and also saints pass rush is on a high school level compared to ours..the barely touched Wilson..while we will sack him 4-5 times..while he doesn't rush for more then 15 yards..
some cali BBC!!!! coming for ya Wilson
Originally posted by wailers15:
some cali BBC!!!! coming for ya Wilson

Aldon Smith's BBC is gonna be all up inside Wilson.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jersey49er:
after watching the game last night the biggest thing is giving kap time to throw the ball..we need to stop there pass rush bc they were getting to brees when only rushing 4 and 3 at times..which of course made there cb problem not look like a weakness while it truly is..i promise if kap gets time and our oline plays great we will torch there cbs..i want boldin to do what he does and physically dominate Sherman..and no way Maxwell can guard crabs..

Relying on pass protection to give Kap time is just not realistic in this case. Even with a fully healthy O-line, you can't always protect the QB nevermind when both Lupati and Staley are down now. What Kap needs to do is to do what Wilson does. Get out of the pocket, roll right to find some open real estate to buy time for the WRs to get open and to locate them accordingly, if not scramble to gain yardage.
Share 49ersWebzone