LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 357 users in the forums

Who Gets The Franchise Tag After 2013?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We got a number of scheduled free agents after 2013, and who is most likely to get the tag?

Heres a list of our free agents next season:

• Anquan Boldin (WR) - maybe, but I feel we can re-sign him
  • Mario Manningham (WR) - I think he might go somewhere else, but not sure yet
  • Tarrell Brown (CB) - Negotiations have been going on with him, not nothing yet
  • Donte Whitner (SS) - Says he want to stay, but how much is he worth?
  • Eric Wright (CB) - He's done a good job as our nickel, but will we keep him?
  • Kassim Osgood (WR/ST) - He's cheap, so I think we'll keep him
  • Anthony Dixon (RB) - Maybe not, he'll go play somewhere else
  • Phil Dawson (K) - Good Job from him this season, either we'll keep him or go after someone else
  • Ray McDonald (DE) - I heard he is a free agent after this year, but I'm not sure if he is
[ Edited by PWillie52 on Nov 30, 2013 at 11:13 AM ]
There's no one in the above group that would warrant the investment of the franchise tag amount at their position. Only ones close are Boldin, Brown and Whitner after the way he's played this year, but they aren't close in value to franchise $...
Hopefully no one. I'd rather see long term deals worked out then use the tag.
I would tag Boldin if we cannot reach an extension. HE may not be a top 5 WR but without him, we would be 3-8. Due to his importance, he needs to be retained. Everyone else can/will kick rocks.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
I would tag Boldin if we cannot reach an extension. HE may not be a top 5 WR but without him, we would be 3-8. Due to his importance, he needs to be retained. Everyone else can/will kick rocks.

At 12+ million or whatever it is for a WR tag? Don't think so.
And Ray signed a 5 year deal in 2011. He has two years left.
At that $ rate - absolutely nobody!
Originally posted by SportsFan:

12 million? I thought it was like 8 million?
nobody on that list deserves to be top 5 paid at their given position.

Yes! And the OP's credibility went west when he suggested Dixon!!!

Originally posted by English:

Yes! And the OP's credibility went west when he suggested Dixon!!!

and osgood, you ever seen a sp team coverage guy get franchised?
[ Edited by crabman82 on Nov 30, 2013 at 11:37 AM ]
Originally posted by barrymartin:
There's no one in the above group that would warrant the investment of the franchise tag amount at their position. Only ones close are Boldin, Brown and Whitner after the way he's played this year, but they aren't close in value to franchise $...

would toss dawson into that list aswell. hes a top tier kicker in the league but i dont think contract talks would ever get so sour with a kicker that you'd have to franchise them.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Nobody.
Dawson or Whitner. If last years numbers are about the same, Whitner would cost about 6.9 mil, which is about 2 million more than he is already making (4.9 mil). It would give time to groom a mid round safety and allow us to draft another position of need earlier such as WR or CB. Franchising Dawson would secure our S/T and prevent us from the problems that plagued us last year with Akers. It would cost about 400k extra from last years number to franchise Dawson. This would free up money to spend on free agents and draft picks, but would leave us without the strong leadership presence of Whitner in the secondary.
Originally posted by barrymartin:

No way Brown is even remotely close to franchise tag money. Boldin is good, but not franchise tag good. Whitner has been playing great, but even he isn't tag material.

We don't have any players that would warrant the tag as all of our franchise players have at least another season on their contracts with us.
Share 49ersWebzone