LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 438 users in the forums

Solution to the WR problem

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I thought everybody said having Ham back would fix the problem? Now that Ham is back we still have a problem.....?
  • thl408
Originally posted by jreff22:
I thought everybody said having Ham back would fix the problem? Now that Ham is back we still have a problem.....?

Got Ham back, but lost VD. I rather have VD in the CAR game.

Edit: I rather have VD in any game.
[ Edited by thl408 on Nov 11, 2013 at 1:22 PM ]
Originally posted by jreff22:

He will, once he shakes off the rust. He dropped an easy pass yesterday.
Originally posted by thl408:
One 'solution' I can think of regarding the WRs is adding option routes to the mix. This means putting a WR on one side of the field, in isolation, then having him run an option route based off of his read of the coverage in front of him. This adds a layer of complexity to the offense that I don't know if Kap is ready for.

The WR can break off his route short if the CB is playing over the top. He can look for a back shoulder throw if the CB is playing a trail technique (following closely behind the WR). If it's inside technique, then break the route towards the sidelines. If it's outside technique then break inside and back towards the QB. It's a read and react type of concept that I believe can blossom a passing attack.

When done correctly, in theory, no coverage can beat it because it adapts to the coverage being played. I do not see this being used, but I am putting this out there in case someone else does see it being used in the 49er passing attack. I believe GB does this often when I see back shoulder throws that are wildly inaccurate. Rodgers will throw the back shoulder throw and the WR is not even looking for the pass. This leads me to believe that Rodgers read tight coverage, use the back shoulder throw, but the WR is in his own world and running a completely different route. A case of the QB and WR being on a different page. When done correctly, it looks great. When done incorrectly it looks like the QB/WR doesn't know what is going on.

Takes a lot of time to build up that chemistry and trust between QB and WR. It can also require a bit of "stare-down" that defensive coverage can cheat over in time to cause trouble over. Which WR would we really trust to correctly read the D? Boldin is the only one with the brains that I would trust right now... but that still leaves the chemistry and other aforementioned issues.

I sadly think they need to simplify this O. 2 backs, power I-form. Lots of quick PA.. simple 4 route progressions.. short to long.
Got Ham back, but lost VD. I rather have VD in the CAR game.

Edit: I rather have VD in any game.

Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
He will, once he shakes off the rust. He dropped an easy pass yesterday.

This is the problem....it wont ever be a perfect situation all season. He needs to be able to work with guys who arent probowlers.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
One 'solution' I can think of regarding the WRs is adding option routes to the mix. This means putting a WR on one side of the field, in isolation, then having him run an option route based off of his read of the coverage in front of him. This adds a layer of complexity to the offense that I don't know if Kap is ready for.

The WR can break off his route short if the CB is playing over the top. He can look for a back shoulder throw if the CB is playing a trail technique (following closely behind the WR). If it's inside technique, then break the route towards the sidelines. If it's outside technique then break inside and back towards the QB. It's a read and react type of concept that I believe can blossom a passing attack.

When done correctly, in theory, no coverage can beat it because it adapts to the coverage being played. I do not see this being used, but I am putting this out there in case someone else does see it being used in the 49er passing attack. I believe GB does this often when I see back shoulder throws that are wildly inaccurate. Rodgers will throw the back shoulder throw and the WR is not even looking for the pass. This leads me to believe that Rodgers read tight coverage, use the back shoulder throw, but the WR is in his own world and running a completely different route. A case of the QB and WR being on a different page. When done correctly, it looks great. When done incorrectly it looks like the QB/WR doesn't know what is going on.

Takes a lot of time to build up that chemistry and trust between QB and WR. It can also require a bit of "stare-down" that defensive coverage can cheat over in time to cause trouble over. Which WR would we really trust to correctly read the D? Boldin is the only one with the brains that I would trust right now... but that still leaves the chemistry and other aforementioned issues.

I sadly think they need to simplify this O. 2 backs, power I-form. Lots of quick PA.. simple 4 route progressions.. short to long.

Agreed. It takes a lot of chemistry to do something like this, but it unlocks a lot of potential for a passing attack. Boldin is the only WR I'd trust to do this, however, I don't think I trust Kap to do this lol.
Agreed. It takes a lot of chemistry to do something like this, but it unlocks a lot of potential for a passing attack. Boldin is the only WR I'd trust to do this, however, I don't think I trust Kap to do this lol.

This year, I wouldn't either. A truly important QB quality is good, quick decision-making. Not seeing enough of this so far with him.
Originally posted by Rascal:
The solution at least for now is to stop this one-read only business. Play more receivers, 3 or even 4 WR sets and I am sure someone will get open. Instruct Kap to stop keying in on 1 guy and tell all receivers to keep the play alive until the ball is out of Kap's hand.

This.
Solution to WR since they chickened out and didn't get Josh Gordon is to get Moss back here
get some players who can perform at the pos (who WANT the damn ball), get some coaches who can coach em up, then lock them all up with the walsh tapes (including kaep) so as to develop a system (passing identity) that can accentuate their abilities. send them all off during the off season to live in a bio-dome in Greenland so as to get their sh*t together.

after its all said and done drop frank DNA in some rapid growth goo and hope or the best

A nice solution would have been trading for Gordon. Atleast then Kap would have had that single down field target he seems to want and is lacking.

Instead we went all in on what we got.

Nothing gonna change with the WR core.

What needs to change is the mentality of our game plans and play calling, and our QB needs to get his head out of his ass.

We are stuck with what we have. Time to make the most of it.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Solution to WR since they chickened out and didn't get Josh Gordon is to get Moss back here

LOL Moss was garbage last season. Dont know why people continuously bring him up all season. He was garbage.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by Chico:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by Buchy:
Yawn.

When you go back to your bridge I bet you're torn between crawling back underneath it to hide or going to the top to jump and end it all....

There's no need for this. It turns a legit, adult conversation into childish mud-slinging. Be better than this.

lol, children, children...grow up now or go to your room!!!

Anyway, we don't need Jerry Rice & we don't need extra help at the WR position. Boldin is a 10 year vet and knows what he's doing. Crabby Patty is coming back soon and Manningham is a stud (watch his SB catch again). We have stud receivers, we have a stud QB, O-line, RB, etc.

We just got our a$$es handed to us. We played the 2nd best defense in the league that looks strong, powerful & HUNGRY! Our team looked flat after the bye week and that is it! case closed, you may now close this thread! lol

This. Why can't people credit the Panthers awesome defense instead of saying how terrible we are? They could turn out to be like the ravens last year or the giants the last two times they won the super bowl. They were one play away from beating the Seahawks and I bet if they played them next week they'd beat them.

It wasnt just this game. The offense outside of Frank gore has been bad all season. Then when we lay any decent teams we get stomped on. These are the types of games we would have won the last two seasons, but this year, for whatever reason we just cant get s**t done against good teams.

If our offense continues like it has all season, we will be one and done in the playoffs, and thats if we even make it.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

LOL Moss was garbage last season. Dont know why people continuously bring him up all season. He was garbage.

questionable effort a lot too i noticed. he also didnt catch 1 deep pass.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

questionable effort a lot too i noticed. he also didnt catch 1 deep pass.

He was slow as f**k, and just horrible. He would add nothing to this roster. Nothing.
Share 49ersWebzone