LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 454 users in the forums

2013 - Week 8: Thoughts after rewatching the game.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:
And the trick play works because the Niners' bench is adjacent to where the line of scrimmage was on the field. When Miller was standing over near the sideline, he blended right in with the huge mass of guys on the bench. But he was in bounds.

Yes. I wonder if he even posed facing the playing field as if to be on the sideline with the rest of the bench.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
1)

9) Cyprien: Wow. I admit, I really liked the guy. I wanted the 49ers to draft him. I was appearantly WAY off. LOL. Reid appears to be SOOOO much better. It's early on and he's on a really bad team, but he got trucked several times yesterday, got juked by Frank and made a stupid penalty. SOOO glad the Niners drafted Reid.

Listen to the guru OTC, who said he was not very high on Cyprien and that the two best safeties in the draft were Reid and Vacarro.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
And the trick play works because the Niners' bench is adjacent to where the line of scrimmage was on the field. When Miller was standing over near the sideline, he blended right in with the huge mass of guys on the bench. But he was in bounds.

Yes. I wonder if he even posed facing the playing field as if to be on the sideline with the rest of the bench.

He probably was until right before the snap as he had to be set for 1 second before the snap.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
I think the 5-0 is great...I wouldn't have it any other way...but it's a mirage. The only team we've played that was supposed to be good was Houston...and they suck now. So to your point about not needing Aldon...we don't need Aldon to beat the Rams or the Jags. We do need him to beat the Saints.

Also I think our next game against Carolina shouldn't be be taken for granted. Cam Newton is playing well, and the Panthers are decent team that's beating teams they're supposed to beat and giving good ones a run for their money too. I hope the Niners don't look past them to the Saints. I also hope that Aldon is back for this game as well.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kray28:
I think the 5-0 is great...I wouldn't have it any other way...but it's a mirage. The only team we've played that was supposed to be good was Houston...and they suck now. So to your point about not needing Aldon...we don't need Aldon to beat the Rams or the Jags. We do need him to beat the Saints.

Also I think our next game against Carolina shouldn't be be taken for granted. Cam Newton is playing well, and the Panthers are decent team that's beating teams they're supposed to beat and giving good ones a run for their money too. I hope the Niners don't look past them to the Saints. I also hope that Aldon is back for this game as well.

call it a mirage but we have crushed teams, some average, some below average. elite teams crush bad teams and do not let them hang around. seattle struggled to beat the rams. we have crushed teams without being at full speed. that is not a mirage in my opinion
Originally posted by sfout:

He probably was until right before the snap as he had to be set for 1 second before the snap.

This is exactly what pisses me off about Roman. Everyone knew we were gonna beat the Jags. It was a great game to try some things out, in case, you know, we actually have to pass our way to victory in the playoffs. We coulda tried a RB or WR screen… we coulda tried anything really, just to try it.

And what do we do?? We use a trick play!!! Against Jax!!!! We didn't need a trick play to beat them at all… i actually think its a little bush league to use trick plays against a team you are completely superior to.

f**k GREG ROMAN
Originally posted by Marvin49:
1) Kap: CAREER regular season statline as a starter - 15 starts, 233 comp, 390 att, 59.74 comp%, 3184 yards, 8.16 YPA, 19 TDs, 8 INTs, 93.57 QB Rating. I know some of you don't like the running statline, but next week will be the last week I do it because he'll have reached 16 regular season starts. Say what you will about what it means or doesn't mean, but I do it for me because I'm curious. Another solid game for Kap. POOR opponent, but good game nonetheless. I really hope the "he only threw for 160+ yards" crowd doesn't chime in again here. It doesn't matter. I won't go into the QBR because I've always thought the stats was bogus, but Kap had himself a very good day. It does make me a bit nervous tho when he's diving headfirst into the endzone.

Marvin - If possible, could you keep giving Kap's career stat line, as well as the season stats? Also, could you included his running stats, especially the TDs. Thanks for recap.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:

This is exactly what pisses me off about Roman. Everyone knew we were gonna beat the Jags. It was a great game to try some things out, in case, you know, we actually have to pass our way to victory in the playoffs. We coulda tried a RB or WR screen… we coulda tried anything really, just to try it.

And what do we do?? We use a trick play!!! Against Jax!!!! We didn't need a trick play to beat them at all… i actually think its a little bush league to use trick plays against a team you are completely superior to.

f**k GREG ROMAN
its the best time to do a trick play against a bad team who will not make you pay if you f**k it up,, see kyles screw ups that day. that is the best thing to do early to take away confidence from a bad team so they do not think they can play with you. seattle did not last night and it nearly cost them.... good lord,, did i just defend roman?? good lord
Originally posted by cciowa:
its the best time to do a trick play against a bad team who will not make you pay if you f**k it up,, see kyles screw ups that day. that is the best thing to do early to take away confidence from a bad team so they do not think they can play with you. seattle did not last night and it nearly cost them.... good lord,, did i just defend roman?? good lord

You do know now i will never let you live this moment down......ever.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:

f**k GREG ROMAN

I agree with you in that it was a bit underhanded to run that kind of play. A 'neener neener neener' play against a crap team to open up the game with (2nd offensive play). I mean, it's not dirty, it's a clean play, but just play someone that's as inferior as JAC straight up. And they did after that. That play showed what having two mediocre rookie safeties in the backfield might do to a defense. Usually a safety has to account for everyone as a pre-snap check. Perhaps HaRo saw something there and exploited it while also having some fun.

Classic Web Zone snapshot:

Niners are #6 in the league in scoring offense. They've scored over 30 points for 5 straight games for the first time since 1998. Double-digit wins in five straight for the first time since 97.

Web Zone response: "f**k GREG ROMAN"

Classic.
  • thl408
Originally posted by cciowa:

Good point. But it was a very clever trick play. That kind of trick play had no risk. If someone covers Miller, then fine, run a normal play. The risk was very low (none) and the gain was nice. It could have been saved for a better opponent and time. Perhaps there is no better team than the lowly Jags that would actually fall for it.
The play is called "The Big Sleeper." It's not really a trick play in the classic sense of the word because as thl408 points out above, there is no real risk. If they sleep on the guy outside, throw it to him. If they don't, run the regular play. And, the first play of the game is a perfect time to run it because the defense is focused on the first formation - does it match what they've been preparing for all week?
  • thl408
With 10:27 left in the 2Q, Kap shows more signs of polish to his game. As he drops back, his face is straight ahead towards the center of the field to hold the lone deep saftey. His eyes, though, are on VD. The telecast does a great job catching Kap's eyes (x2) from the end zone cam. It's a 30 yard pass to VD.
Originally posted by kray28:

The first three games out of the gate are tough (2 on the road) and the 1 we play at home, Carolina, like you say, are playing great football right now. They defense has played lights out and Cam and the offense is starting to pick it up.
Share 49ersWebzone