LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 331 users in the forums

Flankers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
OK, I know I am dating myself with this term. I don't hear it used anymore but I always thought it was perfect for a wide receiver / wide out. If you have a fast one they will hopefully be 'flanking' the defense . Plus, they sort of flank the offensive formation. But I digress.

Here is my question. there are thousands of references to the relief that Manningham and Crabtree will bring to the WR situation. I think it is very possible that they will get little or nothing from both, particularly Crabtree. And Manningham's injury was nasty as well, even though he has had a longer time to rehab. The team knows better obviously, but I would brace yourself for the possibility that neither one of these guys will be able help this year.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
OK, I know I am dating myself with this term. I don't hear it used anymore but I always thought it was perfect for a wide receiver / wide out. If you have a fast one they will hopefully be 'flanking' the defense . Plus, they sort of flank the offensive formation. But I digress.

Here is my question. there are thousands of references to the relief that Manningham and Crabtree will bring to the WR situation. I think it is very possible that they will get little or nothing from both, particularly Crabtree. And Manningham's injury was nasty as well, even though he has had a longer time to rehab. The team knows better obviously, but I would brace yourself for the possibility that neither one of these guys will be able help this year.

Seriously have to disagree. In most circumstances yes but the player coming in only has to be better than Kyle Williams, and Jon Baldwin. I know the severity of the injuries and all but I find it hard to believe that one if not both can't better than those two turds.
[ Edited by NinerG94 on Oct 22, 2013 at 12:35 PM ]
  • thl408
Crabtree at 50% is still better than Kyle at 110%. At least Kap has trust to throw to Crabs. Kyle needs 5 yards of separation just to garner a look from Kap, maybe. Crabs and Ham in helmets will be a welcome sight for Kap.
People seldom use the term flanker correctly....

Thank you for at least referring to a flanker(crabtree) when you said flanker

My blood pressure would have raised had some one said flanker then followed it with Boldin.
Flankers don't traditionally flank...or umm..out flank the defense....btw

Flankers are free from the obligation to cover the tackle on the LOS

Normally your Split Ends who are obligated to cover the LOS ....tend to outflank(get behind) the defense :op
It's more about how HaRoMan will use them. I don't actually anticipate we'd use Crabtree any more than a good decoy on the outside. His name alone, ala Randy Moss, might generate enough extra DB's his way so I'd anticipate our offense to look identical to what it is now...trying to scheme passing plays underneath. Manningham? Unless this teams plans to use him in the slot, say, over an extra TE like McDonald, I'm not sure we'll use him much either. Right now it's the Gore, VD and Boldin-show. We may see a few schemed plays like we do with Baldwin, maybe McDonald but not more than a couple to keep the defense honest. What "may" happen is that IF Crabtree is 100% healthy, they may move Boldin's receptions over to him. Either way, having Boldin and Crabtree on the edge could help the run and RAC-game a lot.
I am fairly confident that Crabtree will be a significant help when he is at least 75% of full strength. Unlink Manningham, Crabtree is a very good receiver when healthy. He's a true #1 guy. So I have faith that even if he isn't in tip top shape when he comes back, he will still be better than anybody we have after Boldin and VD.

Manningham on the other hand, was not that good to begin with. Don't get me wrong, before his injury he was a decent #2 WR, but he wasn't a game changer. And his injury was much worse than Crabtrees. My guess is that he will provide another body at WR, but he won't be significantly better than Kyle Williams or Jon Baldwin.
Originally posted by thl408:
Crabtree at 50% is still better than Kyle at 110%. At least Kap has trust to throw to Crabs. Kyle needs 5 yards of separation just to garner a look from Kap, maybe. Crabs and Ham in helmets will be a welcome sight for Kap.

it's a mathematical fact, 110% of 0 is still 0
Patton will be back shortly as well, id expect him back around mid November.
People forget Kyle Williams is coming off a serious knee injury. Players, especially wide receivers, need two years to get back to where they were. He is not who he was prior to injury.

KW seems to have injured his hands
Prior to his injury, he was a number 4 receiver on his best day. After his injury, if all of our receivers are healthy, he probably isn't even 4th best.
The term "Flanker" comes from the player lining up behind the line of scrimmage. Crabtree was never the type of player to get behind the defense. He's not a burner, but has elite change of direction skills. Manningham also was never a speed guy, but has very good quickness. If they still have that quick-twitch ability, they'll help us out tremendously.
Jerry Rice was the flanker( lined up wide but behind the line of scrimmage)
John Taylor was the split end (Lined up wide, on the line of scrimmage, but close to the side line)
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for Squidp.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
The term "Flanker" comes from the player lining up behind the line of scrimmage. Crabtree was never the type of player to get behind the defense. He's not a burner, but has elite change of direction skills. Manningham also was never a speed guy, but has very good quickness. If they still have that quick-twitch ability, they'll help us out tremendously.

I agree. i remember him killing J. Jenkins with quick slants last year. I think he will compliment Vernon and Boldin very well
Share 49ersWebzone