LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 171 users in the forums

"We can't draft wide receivers"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
No, no, no - we need to start draft 6'6 and 6'7 WRs. They do exist!

It puzzles me beyond belief when people say we need bigger receivers. If the CB is already 6'4", having a 6'5" WR isn't going to give you much of an advantage. However if you watched the Colts game, Browner was struggling and having to hold on to Hilton to keep him from getting away, getting called for multiple penalties in the process. When a 6'4", 220 pound CB is yanking down on a 5'10", 180 pound WR, you WILL notice. Most of the time, Hilton was running free and had 2 or 3 steps on Browner pretty much all game long.

This team doesn't lack size, they lack speed overall, they need a gamebreaker, explosive type of receiver whose speed teams will have to respect, one of the reasons Seattle struggled against Indy is because they had to keep Earl Thomas back deep in case Heyward-Bey or Hilton(he did anyways) took one the distance. The 49ers have a roster full of possession receivers pretty much, they need a true homerun threat at the position to keep defense's honest.

That was supposed to be AJ Jenkins.
Guys I had my eye on for the 9ers over the years via my mock drafts:

Sidney Rice
Golden Tate
Dez Bryant
Cordarelle Patterson *gulp*
Julio Jones
AJ Green
Jon Baldwin *gulp*
Rueben Randle
DeAndre Hopkins
Tavon Austin

Hey Baalke hire me as a WR conslutant. I'll work for free!
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Guys I had my eye on for the 9ers over the years via my mock drafts:

Sidney Rice
Golden Tate
Dez Bryant
Cordarelle Patterson *gulp*
Julio Jones
AJ Green
Jon Baldwin *gulp*
Rueben Randle
DeAndre Hopkins
Tavon Austin

Hey Baalke hire me as a WR conslutant. I'll work for free!

So you mentioned pretty much every good prospect that's come out in recent years. That's not hard.

OMG... Dez, AJ, & Julio were on your radar??? You don't say!
Originally posted by NickSh49:
So you mentioned pretty much every good prospect that's come out in recent years. That's not hard.

LOL.....his radar and everyone else's pretty much.
That was supposed to be AJ Jenkins.

I understand that, they blew it, time to move on and find someone who can actually fulfill that role for this team.
  • buck
  • Veteran
It would seem that we have to wait until next year's draft to see how well the team can draft wide receivers.

I was the only one who thought Calvin Johnson would be any good. It's on record, look it up.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

I was the only one who thought Calvin Johnson would be any good. It's on record, look it up.
:)

Speaking of Dez Bryant he lasted until the 24th pick in the 1st round -- a round where we selected Mike Iupati and Anthony Davis before him which of course we have no problem with. But I would have made a move for Bryant even if it meant sacrificing Iupati. Taylor Mays was our 2nd round -- could have packaged this and some others to get another 1st for Iupati. Woulda coulda shoulda :)
:)

Speaking of Dez Bryant he lasted until the 24th pick in the 1st round -- a round where we selected Mike Iupati and Anthony Davis before him which of course we have no problem with. But I would have made a move for Bryant even if it meant sacrificing Iupati. Taylor Mays was our 2nd round -- could have packaged this and some others to get another 1st for Iupati. Woulda coulda shoulda :)

I hear ya on Bryant. I think everyone knew he'd be a good player. On film he looked like a man among boys in college. He was considered a top 10, maybe top 5, talent. But teams were scared to death of his attitude, off field issues. I'm very happy with Iupati, an All-Pro guard and good character.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Sorry bud this was twos company. I am an avid Georgia Tech fan. I had no doubt Calvin would be a whale in a pond of fish.

• Liono
Go further back at day 1 busts. Rashaun Woods, Brandon Williams, Jason Hill, Derek Hamilton.

Crabtree and Morgan are the only good recievers we've drafted since the f**king year 2000. Now if that isn't pathetic....
  • thl408
We drafted Jerry Rice didn't we?
3 great recievers you break the bank for but let every other area go mediocre.....no supberbowl and possibly no playoffs.

Refer to the 15 or so teams who keep trying that losing recipe each year.

Spend your money on defense, special teams, running game, and some other areas.....AND BRING IN OR RE-SIGN PROVEN FREE AGENTS LIKE WE HAVE DONE. And if you happen to get it right on a great receiver without breaking the bank so bad in the draft you sacrifice the rest of the team....cool.

.....In the playoffs almost every year and sometimes a Superbowl when done that way.

Apparently some of you kids who can't play or understand football aren't capable of getting what people in the zone are trying to get into your arrogant naive fantasy football playing skulls.

You've b***h//d about everything 49ers since day one and now your on the receiver issue. How golden you are.

You don't think Crabtree, Manningham, and Boldin would have torn it up if the injuries didn't happen?

Forgot about that ..... idiot dumbss move by our ignorant dumbss staff did you?

Please. Do not buy tickets next to me.
[ Edited by 49erWay on Oct 11, 2013 at 10:02 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erWay:
3 great recievers you break the bank for but let every other area go mediocre.....no supberbowl and possibly no playoffs.

Spend your money on defense, special teams, running game, and some other areas.....AND BRING IN OR RE-SIGN PROVEN FREE AGENTS LIKE WE HAVE DONE. And if you happen to get it right on a great receiver without breaking the bank so bad in the draft you sacrifice the rest of the team....cool.

.....In the playoffs almost every year and sometimes a Superbowl when done that way.

Apparently some of you kids who can't play or understand football aren't capable of getting what people in the zone are trying to get into your arrogant naive fantasy football playing skulls.

You've b***h//d about everything 49ers since day one and now your on the receiver issue. How golden you are.

You don't think Crabtree, Manningham, and Boldin would have torn it up if the injuries didn't happen?

Why don't you say what you really mean? Speaking of "arrogant". No need to get personal, fellow fan.
Originally posted by 49erWay:

.....LOL......WUT.......

Share 49ersWebzone