LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 318 users in the forums

Reinforcements are coming for the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Baldie:
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
With Vernon's injury woes, do we pull the trigger for Tony Gonzalez

Jay Glazer tweeted he spoke to Gonzalez amid all the trade rumors and Tony stated he wants to finish his career with ATL. But if you dangle a SB contender in front of him, he could change his mind. But the niners probably couldn't afford him at this point unless he takes a significant paycut for a chance at a SB in his last year. Makes you think...why not right?

Abandoning Atlanta because of their record, would be a really bum thing to do. He would lose the respect of all his former teammates from Atlanta, and it would tarnish his reputation. It would look really bad to just hop around to whatever team looked strongest at the moment.

Even if they lose all of the rest of their games, there is no way Gonzalez is leaving Atlanta.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
I don't understand why the FO piles up on draft picks if they're so stingy on spending them during the year when we need help in areas? We are NOT drafting 13 rookies. Get real. This trade makes so much sense.

Gordon is most likely better than any receiver we'll find in the 2nd round or any WR this team picks anyway. This spares us from having to draft a WR early (we all know how well the FO evaluates and drafts WRs ) and we know what we're getting with him. He's a proven baller that is an emerging star in this league. I'd feel much better spending a 2nd rounder on a guy who has NFL experience and is a proven play maker.

Gordon is easily the best, fastest, and most athletic receiver on this team. He is an instant weapon for Kap, his presence alone takes a lot of the pressure off of Boldin and VD and would allow a much more explosive pass attack. Let's be real, expecting Mario and Crabs to come back from the injuries they have and produce at 100% when/IF they return is wishful thinking and highly unrealistic. Gordon can come in and be an instant starter and difference maker.

Gordon is only 22, on a rookie contact which means adding him doesn't hurt us cap wise until his contract expires in 2015. Boldin is not long term and it is not guaranteed that he or Mario even comes back next year and Crabtree's contract runs out soon as well. Then what will we have? A bunch of rookies? Lol.

I am fully aware of the "baggage" that comes with Josh and the medium-high risk factor that comes with bringing him on board. But really if Josh didn't have a few issues, he'd easily be worth a 1st rounder. If we get him, we can hope that maybe a change in environment can do him some good and he can stay out of trouble. If he can, it's a huge win for us. I just can't see us winning with this pathetic receiving core we have. IMO, Baalke should've been trying to make something happen when Patton went down. Our window is still open and we could use help NOW. Not in a few weeks, not in a few months, but now. And Josh Gordon would be a huge addition for us not only now but perhaps in the future as well.

Baalke, surprise me. Make it happen !!

People said that last year and they drafted a ton of players.

Possibly gone next season-Manningham, Kyle Williams, Tarell Brown, Perrish Cox, Tramaine Brock, Donte Whitner, Marlon Moore, Colt McCoy, Jonathan Goodwin, Nnamdi Asomugha, Phil Dawson.

They'll likely use some of those picks to trade up or towards future picks, they could easily be drafting 9 or 10 guys next season.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 8, 2013 at 3:49 PM ]
Gordon is worth a late second. He simply is. I dont understand the mentality of stockpiling draft picks only for the sake of hoarding them away for draft day. As we know WR can sometimes be a crap shoot, and the likelyhood of finding a Gordon in the late second is not good. Why not hedge our bet so to speak and go and get Gordon right now, at a huge time of need. It simply does not make any sense not to. I understand his character issues. Its still well worth the gamble.

We need WR help now, and it is wreckless and careless to asume that Manningham and Crabtree will return to pre injury form. And even then, Gordon is an upgrade over Mannigham no doubt.

Even ignoring our needs this season, going into next season we know we have to address the position. we know that based on the holes we will have in FA. Why not address that issue now?

I could see if he had a high contract, that being an arqument, but he comes cheap.

This trigger should have been pulled last week. Its gonna take a couple weeks to get him on the same page with Kap, but the longer we wait the worse its gonna get. You simply cannot depend on WR's coming back 100% and contributing like they did when they are coming off injurys like Manningham and Crabtree. It they do its a bonus, but to depend on it is careless.

We spent a second round pick on a third RB. Your telling me a late 2nd is not worth the posibility of a WR that compliments Crabtrees abilitys extremely well going forward and is signed through 2015.
I think a trade of say a 5th rounder for Tony Gonzales would be an immense pickup for the 49ers. He could take Celeks 88 number and team with VD, & Quan to give us a great redzone weapon.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Josh Gordon is worth a first round pick! They used a second round pick to draft him last year and he's outplayed that. Why waste another first round pick on a possible draft bust like Jenkins when we could get a sure thing right now. DO IT !
Gonzales: NO
Gordon: OH HECK NO

Thank GOD Webzoners don't run this team. Really, Thank GOD!

id make the trade. we have a million picks anyway. are we gonna find a talent like gordon in the 2nd? were gonna have two 2nds anyway, i dont see what the problem is. were trading for a proven commodity with a friendly contract for one of our 14 picks. we are stacked at nearly every position but WR.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Abandoning Atlanta because of their record, would be a really bum thing to do. He would lose the respect of all his former teammates from Atlanta, and it would tarnish his reputation. It would look really bad to just hop around to whatever team looked strongest at the moment.

Even if they lose all of the rest of their games, there is no way Gonzalez is leaving Atlanta.

I can see Atlanta having enough respect for him to ask him if he would like to finish his career in Kansas City. They will be a contender with him on the roster, we all know how much Alex loves him some TE's.
Originally posted by billbird2111:

Care to elaborate on the Gordon reaction? Obviously its not a "heck no" in Baalkies mind or he wouldnt have kicked the tires, and he may even indeed still be in talks.

Character issues aside, a late second is a very fair trade for Gordon. And his favorable contract outweighs his potential character issues going forward.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by billbird2111:

Why? What's the matter with Gordon? And the 9ers were rumoured to have inquired about Gordon, that's where this is all coming from.

• thl408
My gut tells me Baalke has made an offer already. It just wasn't a 2nd rounder which is why CLE has not accepted. Either Baalke gets him at his price, or it's no deal.
Originally posted by thl408:
My gut tells me Baalke has made an offer already. It just wasn't a 2nd rounder which is why CLE has not accepted. Either Baalke gets him at his price, or it's no deal.

This is likely the case, although personally if the Browns are asking for a second, which would be a late second from us, i would pull the trigger. Its a huge area of need, and it needs to be addressed now.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Gordon is worth a late second. He simply is. I dont understand the mentality of stockpiling draft picks only for the sake of hoarding them away for draft day. As we know WR can sometimes be a crap shoot, and the likelyhood of finding a Gordon in the late second is not good. Why not hedge our bet so to speak and go and get Gordon right now, at a huge time of need. It simply does not make any sense not to. I understand his character issues. Its still well worth the gamble.

We need WR help now, and it is wreckless and careless to asume that Manningham and Crabtree will return to pre injury form. And even then, Gordon is an upgrade over Mannigham no doubt.

Even ignoring our needs this season, going into next season we know we have to address the position. we know that based on the holes we will have in FA. Why not address that issue now?

I could see if he had a high contract, that being an arqument, but he comes cheap.

This trigger should have been pulled last week. Its gonna take a couple weeks to get him on the same page with Kap, but the longer we wait the worse its gonna get. You simply cannot depend on WR's coming back 100% and contributing like they did when they are coming off injurys like Manningham and Crabtree. It they do its a bonus, but to depend on it is careless.

We spent a second round pick on a third RB. Your telling me a late 2nd is not worth the posibility of a WR that compliments Crabtrees abilitys extremely well going forward and is signed through 2015.

This.... Well said
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:

This.... Well said

One slip-up and Gordon is suspended for a year.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:

This.... Well said

One slip-up and Gordon is suspended for a year.

And if he doesnt slip up we have a huge steal until 2015. Its a gamble as far as character is concerned, but no more of a gamble than the draft is with talent. Add to the argument that his contract is for peanuts until 2015 and i think it is a gamble that i personally would take.
Share 49ersWebzone