LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 203 users in the forums

2013 - Week 5: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Post game locker room speech is up.
http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/Locker-Room-Speech-49ers-vs-Texans/5d523214-580e-427d-a1d0-7b5ee3191672
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Post game locker room speech is up.
http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/Locker-Room-Speech-49ers-vs-Texans/5d523214-580e-427d-a1d0-7b5ee3191672

Nice.
Originally posted by IMnotsoHO:
Whoa.

I can't even believe what I'm reading about Reid's tackling prowess. Reid is an excellent tackler and there is very little room to improve. Period.

I'm not really sure what some expect? The NFL is full of elite players going against other elite players. Even the best player will occasionally get beat.

I'm half way through the SF/Houston game and I just watched "Bowman the Great" miss a tackle on Arian Foster in the backfield on 4 and 2 with less than three minutes to go. He made contact, but just couldn't wrap and bring him down. Does that mean Bowman needs to work on his tackling or in some way his game is under developed in that particular area? No, of course not. s**t happens.

So far, the only tackle I've seen Reid miss was a delayed screen (maybe dump off) to Ben Tate next to the side line. IMO, Reid had a decision to make. He could of lit Tate up next to the sideline an possibly get flagged for unnecessary roughness or use an arm tackle to pull him out of bounds and end the play. Unfortunately for Reid, Tate (who is a very good running back) put on a nasty spin move and broke Reid's arm tackle who clearly chose to play it safe. Even of the scenario I painted isn't the case, I think its clear Reid underestimated what it would take to bring Tate out of bounds. Again, s**t happens.

Why don't we talk about Reid's bad ass tackle on Foster in the first quarter in the open field from behind. The whole Niner front seven flowed one way and the RB went the other. If he doesn't make that play, that probably turns into a TD or at least a 20 plus yard run.

Bottom line, Reid is a top notch tackler, who like other top notch tackler (cough*Bowman*cough) occasionally get beat by other elite (not scrub) players. The only player I've can't remember missing a tackle (I'm sure he has too) is Patrick Willis. But, that's why he is a 6 time pro bowler. When your talking about some ones tackling ability you are talking about their heart and tackling fundamentals. Reid lacks neither.

The expectations on this site are unreal.

Greatest noob post ever.
  • thl408
Originally posted by pdizo916:
I think the Texans may have the best o line in the AFC. But with that said, i think we got some good pressure on Schaub but did not sack him. To me, a hurry throw is as good as a sack.

There were two very contrasting styles of run blocking in this game. The agility based zone blocking of HOU versus the misdirection power blocking of the Niners. In a way I was hoping for a ground and pound game from both sides. Once Willis was ruled out, I'm glad it didn't go down that way with the 49ers being able to get HOU out of their run game in the 2nd half.

I agree HOU has a very good Oline. There were plays Shaub had time to scan and deliver, but had no where to go. His only success was to his TE. When it was 3rd and long the pass rush by the 49ers was good. Can't wait to get Aldon back with Lemon on the other side. I saw Brooks rushing as a DT on some 3rd and longs. It may have been because RayMac was out though.
Thanks Marvin, I have to agree with you on Brock, the NFC Championship game always played a part in my evaluation. The fact of the matter is Brock makes plays, any DB that can is worth their weight in gold. I too say the D is elite, what impresses me most is how the LB's tackle on third down. There will be a 3rd and long and this crew most always stops the receiver short, sound fundamentals. Take a look at the Falcons and Giants and how quickly they've turned into losing teams. This is a team that will become more dangerous as the season progresses.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Isn't Vernon 's injury a hamstring? Would that affect straight-line speed as well as anything else?

That TD he had it didn't look like there was anything wrong. He blew that DB away.

I'm not sure we' re completely in the the loop as far as the extent of his injury.
I have always felt that Vernon will not attempt to catch a ball not placed in a perfect spot by the Qb. That deep pass to the right he never tried to dive for it or accelerate and get it, sure their are some who will say he has an injury but watch film of him he will never bail a Qb out of a less than perfect throw. That interception by Richard Sherman he did not adjust and challenge Sherman for the ball. Also the other thing I hate about his game is as big as he is he doesn't break tackles when he catches the ball. But he is the 49ers deep threat and that has proven to open things up for everybody else.
man I hope Reid can have the durability of Goldson....my god if we can have him for every game...dude looks like he is going All Pro in no time...usually I don't jump to conclusions like this...but he just impresses me every time he is out there.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Dear Trent please acquire JOSH GORDON he could be the next Cris Carter. I would like to resign Crabtree but based on his rookie year hold out, and being friends with Deon Sanders they want to get paid.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Thanks Marvin, I have to agree with you on Brock, the NFC Championship game always played a part in my evaluation. The fact of the matter is Brock makes plays, any DB that can is worth their weight in gold. I too say the D is elite, what impresses me most is how the LB's tackle on third down. There will be a 3rd and long and this crew most always stops the receiver short, sound fundamentals. Take a look at the Falcons and Giants and how quickly they've turned into losing teams. This is a team that will become more dangerous as the season progresses.

You're referring to Bowmans two stops keeping the TE from a first down on third and middling? Yes, that was pro. That gets a double snap from me.

PWillis is the best tackler on the team. We miss him a lot. I think I have seen him miss one tackle in the last two seasons.

I'm very boring with my tackling expectations. I don't expect defenders to blow up anyone. Just wrap the waist and bring the ball carrier down, or hang on until help arrives. That's all.

Best tackling backfield ever was 1981 Niners. Dwight Hicks was a sound fundamental tackler. He never let anyone go.
Originally posted by GORO:
Dear Trent please acquire JOSH GORDON he could be the next Cris Carter. I would like to resign Crabtree but based on his rookie year hold out, and being friends with Deon Sanders they want to get paid.

Well, it might help in that Boldin is on a one year deal and I think Manningham is as well. The problem I see is that Gordon is a ticking time bomb and a risk to be suspended at any point. He could turn himself around, but right now he's a high reward player with a major risk associated to him. Alternatively, Baalke can't pick WR's in the draft to save his live and we are loaded with picks next year.

The best part of all of this is that there are only 2 teams ahead of us right now in the NFC (Seattle @ 4-1 and the Saints @ 5-0). That's it...all other division leaders are currently at 2 or 3 wins. And we JUST went through the toughest part of our schedule, at one point, had something like 14 injuries after the Seattle game plus a few other key injuries/losses after that (Willis, Aldon, etc.). As a result, some of the youngsters have played well to very well (Skuta, Lemonier, Wilhoite, Brock, Spillman, etc.). And with potentially, a number of reserves coming into the mix/fold starting next week, we are in very good shape. Focus on the Cardinals game 100%. Their defense was a terror last game so we'll need to take advantage of that aggression. Get through that game and we're off and running!
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 8, 2013 at 7:09 AM ]
Some may disagree with me but I believe Kaepernick took a big step forward against the Texans. Before you scorn me, please hear me out. Colin may have only completed 6 passes but he finally trusted what he saw, he stepped up into the pocket and delivered the football. He was very inaccurate with his passes, I know. If he can just take a little off and stop trying to throw lasers his passes would be on point. This coaching staff will get him where he needs to be in the next few weeks. He will be prepared for that game against the Saints and he will look like that superstar that we know he is come playoff time.
Originally posted by IMnotsoHO:
Whoa.

I can't even believe what I'm reading about Reid's tackling prowess. Reid is an excellent tackler and there is very little room to improve. Period.

I'm not really sure what some expect? The NFL is full of elite players going against other elite players. Even the best player will occasionally get beat.

I'm half way through the SF/Houston game and I just watched "Bowman the Great" miss a tackle on Arian Foster in the backfield on 4 and 2 with less than three minutes to go. He made contact, but just couldn't wrap and bring him down. Does that mean Bowman needs to work on his tackling or in some way his game is under developed in that particular area? No, of course not. s**t happens.

So far, the only tackle I've seen Reid miss was a delayed screen (maybe dump off) to Ben Tate next to the side line. IMO, Reid had a decision to make. He could of lit Tate up next to the sideline an possibly get flagged for unnecessary roughness or use an arm tackle to pull him out of bounds and end the play. Unfortunately for Reid, Tate (who is a very good running back) put on a nasty spin move and broke Reid's arm tackle who clearly chose to play it safe. Even of the scenario I painted isn't the case, I think its clear Reid underestimated what it would take to bring Tate out of bounds. Again, s**t happens.

Why don't we talk about Reid's bad ass tackle on Foster in the first quarter in the open field from behind. The whole Niner front seven flowed one way and the RB went the other. If he doesn't make that play, that probably turns into a TD or at least a 20 plus yard run.

Bottom line, Reid is a top notch tackler, who like other top notch tackler (cough*Bowman*cough) occasionally get beat by other elite (not scrub) players. The only player I've can't remember missing a tackle (I'm sure he has too) is Patrick Willis. But, that's why he is a 6 time pro bowler. When your talking about some ones tackling ability you are talking about their heart and tackling fundamentals. Reid lacks neither.

The expectations on this site are unreal.

Sigh.

I thinks its funny how when I point something out and all of the sudden I'm saying that Reid sucks. Reid misses some tackles he should make. Its a fact. He also hits like a truck and makes a number of really good tackles. Two things can be equally true.

If it was just 1 or 2 tackles vs Houston then i would never have said anything, but I've seen it all year. I'm not saying he is not or can't be a very good tackler. I'm saying he's missing some tackles he should make. This is simply a small criticism of a player whom I think can be better than the All-Pro player he's replacing.

I dunno how I can make that any more clear. I'm done responding to this issue BTW. I see what I see. You don't see it? Good for you.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 8, 2013 at 8:25 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
The best part of all of this is that there are only 2 teams ahead of us right now in the NFC (Seattle @ 4-1 and the Saints @ 5-0). That's it...all other division leaders are currently at 2 or 3 wins. And we JUST went through the toughest part of our schedule, at one point, had something like 14 injuries after the Seattle game plus a few other key injuries/losses after that (Willis, Aldon, etc.). As a result, some of the youngsters have played well to very well (Skuta, Lemonier, Wilhoite, Brock, Spillman, etc.). And with potentially, a number of reserves coming into the mix/fold starting next week, we are in very good shape. Focus on the Cardinals game 100%. Their defense was a terror last game so we'll need to take advantage of that aggression. Get through that game and we're off and running!

When I looked at our schedule during the summer, I saw us going 3-2 to start the year and finishing 12-4 (I thought we'd beat the Colts and lose to the Rams). Obviously every game is big, but there are a few huge games...

Week 6: Home vs. ARI - should be a win, improve to 2-1 in division
Week 7: @ TEN: Tough 10am start, but considering Locker is out, I think we still should win this one.
Week 8: @ JAX (London): I would be very disappointed if we lost, plain and simple.
Week 9: Bye - We should be 6-2 at the bye and getting healthy !!
Week 10: Home vs. CAR: should be a win, considering the Panthers aren't good and it's at home after a Bye
Week 11: @ NO: HUGE GAME!!! Could determine our seeding in the playoffs or even homefield. It'll be one of those games where we need to outscore the opponent. Hopefully we'll have Manningham back and Vernon will be healthy. For the record, I put this one down as a loss during the summer.
Week 12: @ WAS (MNF): I thought this would be a loss too, but WAS has looked bad. It could be a nice statement win on National TV
Week 13: Home vs. STL: No indication that team can beat us, plus it's at home - 3 and 1 in division
Week 14: Home vs. SEA: BIGGEST GAME OF THE YEAR! A win nullifies that loss early and would put us at 4-1 in division
Week 15: @ TB: I thought this would be a tough game, but they're in shambles right now.
Week 16: Home vs. ATL (MNF): I thought this would be a tough game too, but after watching them lose to the Jets at home, they look average at best. I cant see us losing the Candlestick going away party.
Week 17: @ ARI: HUGE GAME! Although I think ARI has benefitted from an easy schedule, they're still 3-2 and will probably be in the hunt for a final playoff spot. A win here would guarantee us at least a tie of the best record (in-division) and may be crucial to winning the division.
Originally posted by GORO:

It's risky, but I'm coming around to this. Baalke cannot identify latent wr talent in the draft to save his life. Gordon looks like a special talent with skills the Niners don't have even with all their receiver fully healthy. But why would the Browns let him go? Not unless they received crazy remuneration. They'll not get that from the Niners. But if the Niners could pull it off . . .
Share 49ersWebzone