LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 423 users in the forums

My Top 5 Things That Will Make/Break Our SB Run

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I don't think we are going this year honestly. Injuries, Dui's, rehab, the Seahawks look really tough. We are looking at a wildcard. And Kaep has regressed.

One game at a time! It works like this for every nfl team...... No game is a gimmie.
wont make it past divisionals
Originally posted by monsterzero789:

That game is 13 weeks away! Relax and enjoy the ride!
Originally posted by doc_brown_:

oh believe me i am. i love winning
# 1 thing that will break our SB run: A loss in the play offs.

oh believe me i am. i love whining

Fixed.
Originally posted by IMnotsoHO:

oh believe me i am. i love whining

Fixed.

how was i whining?
60 minutes of football per game. Don't quit. Want it more than Seattle.
There is only one thing that can make or break the 49ers chances at a Super Bowl............................. The 49ers

Originally posted by Wubbie:
#5: Discipline and Penalties
It's been pretty disturbing how many penalties we've had early in the season. Offensively, it feels like we're not playing fundamentally well. The Rams game was an encouraging sign because they seem to be improving. On defense, we have a lot of Unnecessary Roughness calls for illegal hits, justified or not (Donte Hitner). And overall, extracurricular activity after the whistle. It's incredibly annoying because it feels like our guys are just defending or retaliating to cheap shots from opposing players (Example: Clay Matthews and the Packers). Our team definitely has taken some of Coach Harbaugh's hot-headedness. Even though it's not always their fault, it's always the second guy who gets flagged.

#4: Greg Roman's Playcalling at Pivotal Moments
I think everyone knows what I'm talking about when I say "4th and 6." Many people weren't fans of Roman's playcalling in the Super Bowl, and that's honestly been the one blemish in his career as the 49ers' OC. He has the most brilliant moments at times, but then other times, we wonder what he's thinking.

#3: Late Season/Playoff Defense
Despite giving up a lot of yardage and points early on this season, the unit still looks great. Their problems have been more about the offense's deficiencies. The Rams game was more about what they're all about. Despite that, it all depends on how the coaching staff manages our defense late in the season. One of the bigger criticisms of last season was that our veterans played too much and were understandably gassed by the late season and playoffs. It feels like the coaching staff is resting our guys more, but the defense's performance late in the season will be important.

#2: Wide Receiver Situation
If we didn't have Anquan Boldin, we'd be in a lot of trouble. A.J. Jenkins didn't pan out, while Crabtree, Manningham, and now Patton are all injured. I have no doubt in my mind that when Manningham and Crabtree return, our offense will explode, but the question is... how many games will our receiving corps cost us until they're here? We're 2 games behind the Seahawks (IMO the #1 obstacle to the Super Bowl) and the WR situation is going to be important in the middle of the season. I've been unimpressed with what Kyle Williams and Marlon Moore have been able to do. But with Jon Baldwin getting traded to us and learning the offense, I think he's our one hope in being that #2 guy to Boldin, until Crabtree and Manningham get here.

#1: Seattle Seahawks (and Denver Broncos)
The beginning of this season's Seattle game offered some hope, because we had some opportunities. There's a chance to win there if we have Crabtree & Boldin, a third WR steps up (between Manningham and Baldwin), VD & Frank Gore do what they always do, and the defense plays stingy... In other words, our team has to be complete and we have to be perfect. But during the playoffs, I just don't know how it's going to go. Quite honestly, I don't know if we can win in Seattle.

We have to hope that we can catch up to them over the course of the regular season and eventually beat Seattle in our home game to clinch the division. And then if we beat the Seahawks and make it to the Super Bowl, there's still the Broncos, who have looked invincible this season.

Thoughts?

Want to bump this very good post/thread because it all seems still relevant. Anything changed since early October? My thoughts:

#5) Team seems more settled, with fewer really dumb penalties. DBs are playing within the rules and, without Goldson, are giving fewer 2nd chances.

#4) The play calling is what it is--and will be. Heavy run and very little creativity in the pass game. I hope for a better situation when Crabtree comes back but am not holding my breath.

#3) Defensive line has been brutally mangled due to injuries but is still doing pretty well considering. Would like to see more of Dial and Tank for the second half...try to keep Justin and McDonald somewhat healthy for the playoffs.

#2) Manningham is back...oh...wait...almost...ugh. Will this unit ever be solidified? My hope now is for Crabtree to return and Patton to become an effective 3rd option...along with Mario, when healthy.

#1) Am so looking forward to the Seattle game! Will they be as dominant in SF as they were at home? Will they lose any more games? Looks like the niners gave up the ghost of catching them by losing last week so are playing to play in Seattle in the playoffs...I'm happy about this as I really want the niners to learn how to beat them in their house. Crazy I know...but can't help the feeling that SF won't truly be a great team until they trounce Seattle in Seattle.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Want to bump this very good post/thread because it all seems still relevant. Anything changed since early October? My thoughts:

#5) Team seems more settled, with fewer really dumb penalties. DBs are playing within the rules and, without Goldson, are giving fewer 2nd chances.

#4) The play calling is what it is--and will be. Heavy run and very little creativity in the pass game. I hope for a better situation when Crabtree comes back but am not holding my breath.

#3) Defensive line has been brutally mangled due to injuries but is still doing pretty well considering. Would like to see more of Dial and Tank for the second half...try to keep Justin and McDonald somewhat healthy for the playoffs.

#2) Manningham is back...oh...wait...almost...ugh. Will this unit ever be solidified? My hope now is for Crabtree to return and Patton to become an effective 3rd option...along with Mario, when healthy.

#1) Am so looking forward to the Seattle game! Will they be as dominant in SF as they were at home? Will they lose any more games? Looks like the niners gave up the ghost of catching them by losing last week so are playing to play in Seattle in the playoffs...I'm happy about this as I really want the niners to learn how to beat them in their house. Crazy I know...but can't help the feeling that SF won't truly be a great team until they trounce Seattle in Seattle.

what the f**k

since when are the s**tbirds a measuring stick? Get out
Originally posted by xtm059:
what the f**k

since when are the s**tbirds a measuring stick? Get out

Since they beat the holy h*ll out of the niners! Did you miss those games?
#4 doe. Cost us the SuperBowl last year too.

#1: Seattle Seahawks (and Denver Broncos)
The beginning of this season's Seattle game offered some hope, because we had some opportunities. There's a chance to win there if we have Crabtree & Boldin, a third WR steps up (between Manningham and Baldwin), VD & Frank Gore do what they always do, and the defense plays stingy... In other words, our team has to be complete and we have to be perfect. But during the playoffs, I just don't know how it's going to go. Quite honestly, I don't know if we can win in Seattle.

We have to hope that we can catch up to them over the course of the regular season and eventually beat Seattle in our home game to clinch the division. And then if we beat the Seahawks and make it to the Super Bowl, there's still the Broncos, who have looked invincible this season.

Thoughts?

I thought we were built to defeat high powered offenses like the Packers, Saints, Patriots, and Broncos...
[ Edited by fortyninerglory on Nov 16, 2013 at 7:50 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone