We're giving up an average of 28 points per game over the last 9 games

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by susweel:
Yes understandable but a great defense should also force more 3 and outs.

and rush the passer and not struggle to make tackles in the first half when they are rested and not make so many drive extending penalties and do better on third down

Yes opening drive of the game Indy takes the balls and stuffs down their asses. I dont think 3 and outs had anything to do with that.
sus is right, overlooked is the fact that teams are starting out well against a well rested defense. what we needed at home was a three and out but no. that want is now increased tenfold thursday on the road against a well coached team. we have missed so many tackles it is pathetic. and as sus said,, it is not only taking place when the defense is "tired"

I think other than Whitner our secondary are not good tacklers. They gonna have to revamp the secondary after this season. Rogers is a liability covering the slot, Brown is not the same player maybe him missing out on his bonus is still bothering him and Nambi is just awful. Reid is a rookie and looks good at times but he does miss a lot of tackles and takes poor angles sometimes. Whitner is the best tackler of the bunch but he cant cover very good.
  • Jiks
T.O.P. Not only do guys not get a break, but it puts them out there for more possessions than they should be. When they are out there more drives, it gives other teams more chances to score against an already tired defense. This is the chance you take with an explosive offense. Problem is we are not scoring.

That and Whitner and the CB situation is gross.
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Sep 24, 2013 at 10:37 AM ]
The D held the Colts to a 13-7 score for over 50 minutes of the game.

The D had the Seahawks under control too... an offensive penalty in the EZ gave them 2 pts and a offensive turnover gave them another 3. That's 5 points given up to our enemy by the offense. The halftime score? 5-0... but Kaep turned the ball over 3 times in their territory.. 1 of them inside the 5 yd line

Let's also add in some of these questionable penalties that our D was flagged over.

Just think about all of that for a moment.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I think other than Whitner our secondary are not good tacklers. They gonna have to revamp the secondary after this season. Rogers is a liability covering the slot, Brown is not the same player maybe him missing out on his bonus is still bothering him and Nambi is just awful. Reid is a rookie and looks good at times but he does miss a lot of tackles and takes poor angles sometimes. Whitner is the best tackler of the bunch but he cant cover very good.
and if sus is right about these guys and i have little reason to believe otherwise,,, then those problems are really exposed when we can not rush the passer. for all the good aldon was to us sunday, he should have went to rehab last week and we could have at least seen what the lemon man could do before this thursday, i did not mean to single out aldon because as a group we did not have a good pass rush against a offensive line that was put together with duck tape and rubber bands. our team struggles to get guys open and the other team seems to effortlessly find a wide open wide out in the middle of the god damn field.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

The D had the Seahawks under control too... an offensive penalty in the EZ gave them 2 pts and a offensive turnover gave them another 3. That's 5 points given up to our enemy by the offense. The halftime score? 5-0... but Kaep turned the ball over 3 times in their territory.. 1 of them inside the 5 yd line

Let's also add in some of these questionable penalties that our D was flagged over.

they also took the ball and rammed down our throats on the first drive of the game, thus setting the tone for the fiasco that would soon follow. you can call them questionable if you want but the fact is, we are one of the most penalized teams in the nfl and no offense to the group who thinks the refs do not like us, there is no excuse for that
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

they also took the ball and rammed down our throats on the first drive of the game, thus setting the tone for the fiasco that would soon follow. you can call them questionable if you want but the fact is, we are one of the most penalized teams in the nfl and no offense to the group who thinks the refs do not like us, there is no excuse for that

MANY of those penalties were b******t

omg.. oookay.. I tried. Good luck with all of this.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
T.O.P. Not only do guys not get a break, but it puts them out there for more possessions than they should be. When they are out there more drives, it gives other teams more chances to score against an already tired defense. This is the chance you take with an explosive offense. Problem is we are not scoring.

i called the secondary the keystone cops last year but your description is more fitting,, it is just gross watching bad tackling, guys getting turned around and wide open wide outs in the middle of the field . not sure what it is but our third down conversion rate on both sides of the ball has to be gross as well
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

omg.. oookay.. I tried. Good luck with all of this.
you did not explain why they ripped us right away . penalties are just built in excuses to deflect away from your own poor play in my opinion
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

MANY of those penalties were b******t
that had nothing to do with our poor play, poor coaching, poor play calling etc. if we are the elite defense we have been lead to believe, they would have overcome the first call on whitner, but no, just like the super bowl. we get a penalty called on us early and we just crawl into a fetal position and take it

• Jiks

i called the secondary the keystone cops last year but your description is more fitting,, it is just gross watching bad tackling, guys getting turned around and wide open wide outs in the middle of the field . not sure what it is but our third down conversion rate on both sides of the ball has to be gross as well

Offense-Tied second to last
Defense tied 22nd(actually 14 read that wrong.)

Good bring up btw. Haven't really thought about that. This team needs to get their s**t together.

I have a good feeling about Thursday though. Think we'll make a statement.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/downs/position/defense
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Sep 24, 2013 at 10:50 AM ]
Originally posted by Antix:
Last game was 13-7 in the 4th then the ineptitude of our O made the score balloon. Same in Seattle.

That's not to say i'm not worried about our D, but my biggest concerns are injuries and its castration at the hands of the officials.

Agreed. Anybody who actually saw the last two games could see that our defense was stellar, until late in those games when the offense was going 3 and out every time.

I'm worried about this week though. Without Aldon and Patrick, our defense is average. Offense MUST pick up the slack if we expect to have any chance of beating the Rams.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Good bring up btw. Haven't really thought about that. This team needs to get their s**t together.

we had a chance to at home sunday but flopped,,, now we must make a statement. we are wounded and backed into the corner so we will see how much pride this team has.
  • Jiks

we had a chance to at home sunday but flopped,,, now we must make a statement. we are wounded and backed into the corner so we will see how much pride this team has.

Those stats were wrong, i was looking at the wrong stat. 19th on O, 14th on D. So not as bad as I originally thought but bad enough. (Just thought id clarify that)

And teams go through the dumps sometimes, it's how you respond. Luckily for us it's only week 3. Still not sure we are good enough to make a big push again, but you never know. Again it's early.

Those stats were wrong, i was looking at the wrong stat. 19th on O, 14th on D. So not as bad as I originally thought but bad enough. (Just thought id clarify that)

And teams go through the dumps sometimes, it's how you respond. Luckily for us it's only week 3. Still not sure we are good enough to make a big push again, but you never know. Again it's early.

One game at a time.
Share 49ersWebzone